Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Sherlock

128 posts in this topic

CBS has a brilliant idea

CBS has bought Sherlock Holmes, a drama project from CBS TV Studios and studio-based Timberman/Beverly Prods., which is described as a modern take on the cases of the pipe-smoking private eye created by Arthur Conan Doyle. Rob Doherty is writing and will executive produce with Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly. Timberman/Beverly has 2 new series on CBS this fall, Unforgettable and A Gifted Man.

CultFix quotes the Moff's tweeted response:

Dear CBS. A modern day Sherlock Holmes? Where, oh where, did you get THAT idea? We’ll be watching!

My take: Rip-off? Probably. But it's one more item indicating that Holmesian stuff is seeing a resurgence, and I can't really find the heart to be too upset. Besides (who knows?) it could be brilliant. Given that it's airing on CBS, the odds are low (though I love me some Mentalist), but still.

Besides...if it runs American-length seasons, it'll give something (even if it's a very small something) to fill the gaps between series of Sherlock.

Edited by NBooth

ANOTHER Holmes adaptation and still no Mary Russell? Blergh.

Perhaps they'll cover a more Holmesian range of cases rather than just murder, murder and (yawn) more murder.

Matt

Perhaps they'll cover a more Holmesian range of cases rather than just murder, murder and (yawn) more murder.

Matt

It's CBS. I doubt it. ;)

Here come the Russians!

Shooting for a new screen adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes has started in Russia's northern capital.

The series will consist of 16 episodes. Sherlock Holmes will be played by 34-year-old Russian actor Igor Petrenko, while the role of his devoted friend and assistant Dr. Watson was given to Andrey Panin.

This happens every couple of decades or so, yes? Suddenly everyone in the world wants a piece of the Holmes pie. (What I mean to say is: it's been pretty quite on the Holmes-Adaptation front for the past couple of decades. There's been a Canadian series and a couple of BBC movies, but that's it...and then bam I hear of Sherlock everywhere. Must be part of the cultural cycle--or the upcoming anniversary--or something).

Edited by NBooth

Laura Pulver (Irene Adler):

"[Executive producer] Steven Moffat's written an episode about Sherlock dealing with what love is, rather than Sherlock really knowing what being in love is," she hinted. "We're both very much playing a mind game with each other. We've met our matches with each other."

Asked if there could be romance between the pair, Pulver teased: "It's kind of deeper than romance. It's kind of infatuation."

FWIW, there's some pics floating around Tumblr that purport to be Pulver in-costume as Adler. Unfortunately, Tumblr's down so I can't post them right now. But she looks cold as ice--should be interesting to see her go up against Cumberbatch. It'll be like a snowstorm.

EDIT: Here we go:

tumblr_lvqhxybLCj1qa7w9wo2_500.jpg

Edited by NBooth

Apparently "A Scandal in Belgravia" screened today at the BFI. Den of Geek has a spoiler-free review:

A Scandal in Belgravia is what happens when an already great show gets a well-deserved confidence boost. Working on series one, Moffat and Gattiss must have had the inkling that they had something special on their hands, but no idea how warmly Sherlock would be welcomed by the viewing public, or how eagerly awaited a follow-up would be.

EDIT: And here's the Radio Times with what some might consider a spoiler about Irene:

Conan Doyle’s adventuress has become a dominatrix for this latest reworking and she certainly makes a big impression. But don’t go thinking that this is a mere sexing up of Sherlock.

“Well, she’s gay and he’s only interested in brainwork,” says co-creator Mark Gatiss at the Q&A that follows the screening. “And yet something happens. But it doesn’t have to be something as mundane as a love story. It’s far more interesting than that.”

So it looks like they're keeping Sherlock asexual, which is fine by me. If I want Holmes romancing Adler I can pop in the Ritchie movie.

Edited by NBooth

Those two clips put a huge grin on my face. "I'm not the commonwealth... Laters!"

Those two clips put a huge grin on my face. "I'm not the commonwealth... Laters!"

Me too. And here's some trailers with peeks at all three episodes.

I especially like this one:

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but it's usually just subtext."

Edited by NBooth

Scandal in Belgravia trailer:

Yes, these clips look fabulous, but apparently I'm going to have to wait until May to see them on PBS. Such is life.

Yes, these clips look fabulous, but apparently I'm going to have to wait until May to see them on PBS. Such is life.

Yeah, me too. One would think BBC/PBS could see that (as with Doctor Who) there are enough USian fans of the show to justify broadcasting them kinda-close together. Of course, the difference between Sherlock and Doctor Who is that the latter is broadcast in America on BBCAmerica, so that might help them co-ordinate more effectively.

If BBCA knew what was good for them, they'd have picked up Sherlock, too. Their offerings have become rather limited.

Meh. Ok so this wasn't about murder, but I'm still not really impressed. Far, far too much titillation, shaky premises all over the place and again the inconsistent powers of deduction, e.g. Over the pass code. Let me know what you think in May. Part 2 coming soon.

Matt

Matt, are you referring to season 2 or to season 1?

This doesn't deserve its own thread quite yet, so I'll just note that this has been given the go-ahead:

Elementary, from CBS TV Studios and studio-based Timberman/ Beverly Prods., is described as a modern take on the cases of the pipe-smoking private eye created by Arthur Conan Doyle, with Sherlock now living in New York City. Veteran Medium writer-producer Doherty wrote the script and is executive producing the project with Sarah Timberman & Carl Beverly. Sherlock Holmes is very much in the zeitgeist right now with Guy Ritchie’s movie franchise starring Robert Downey Jr. and BBC’s hit series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch, which was just renewed for third season.

Actually, I think Sherlock was renewed for a third season at the same time it was renewed for a second season, but I could be wrong.

It's tempting to count the ways in which this is a Sherlock rip-off (Holmes in modern times? Check. Catchy one-word title? Check. I'm sure there will be more as the story develops) but for now I'll suspend judgment.

Just watched the last episode of series two and, in contrast to almost everyone, I remain not particularly impressed. It was ok, but I just find it annoys me. For example, anyone having read the Final Problem, and the next one, it was obvious what was going to happen in tonight's episode the Reinbach Falls (sp.). But it just got dragged out and out and out and then did nothing with it.

I'm sure most of you will enjoy it so please ignore Mr Grouchy over here. For some reason I just haven't wanted to like it this series.

Matt

This doesn't deserve its own thread quite yet, so I'll just note that this has been given the go-ahead:

Elementary, from CBS TV Studios and studio-based Timberman/ Beverly Prods., is described as a modern take on the cases of the pipe-smoking private eye created by Arthur Conan Doyle, with Sherlock now living in New York City. Veteran Medium writer-producer Doherty wrote the script and is executive producing the project with Sarah Timberman & Carl Beverly. Sherlock Holmes is very much in the zeitgeist right now with Guy Ritchie’s movie franchise starring Robert Downey Jr. and BBC’s hit series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch, which was just renewed for third season.

Actually, I think Sherlock was renewed for a third season at the same time it was renewed for a second season, but I could be wrong.

It's tempting to count the ways in which this is a Sherlock rip-off (Holmes in modern times? Check. Catchy one-word title? Check. I'm sure there will be more as the story develops) but for now I'll suspend judgment.

Good grief. Why don't they just turn They Might Be Giants into a series.

Just watched the last episode of series two and, in contrast to almost everyone, I remain not particularly impressed. It was ok, but I just find it annoys me. For example, anyone having read the Final Problem, and the next one, it was obvious what was going to happen in tonight's episode the Reinbach Falls (sp.). But it just got dragged out and out and out and then did nothing with it.

I'm sure most of you will enjoy it so please ignore Mr Grouchy over here. For some reason I just haven't wanted to like it this series.

Matt

I'll probably agree with you, but you realize you just spoiled series 2 in a big way for the innocent US'ians who are waiting until PBS shows it in May? Not everyone pirates downloads, you know. Shockin'.

Good grief. Why don't they just turn They Might Be Giants into a series.

Now that would be cool.

Matt

I'll probably agree with you, but you realize you just spoiled series 2 in a big way for the innocent US'ians who are waiting until PBS shows it in May? Not everyone pirates downloads, you know. Shockin'.

Really? We've known since last year what three stories were getting adapted. Saying "Holmes and Moriarty are going to square off and there will be x kind of cliffhanger" is about as much of a spoiler as "it was a sled."

Now, saying how that happens is another thing entirely.

Matt

Sorry, I'd tried not to do that by not mentioning what happens in the final problem. The last episode is named the Reichenbach Fall, so I didn't think I've revealed anything that you wouldn't get from the tv guide / titles sequence.

Matt