Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Greatest Song Ever Written

66 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

[url=http://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=F8AF518B88E04426A71F7F3D2A42BD60]Can't deny it anymore.[/url]

Prophecy, beauty, hope, wishes. It's got it all. There's nothing like it.

Not only that but it has the most perfect and simplistic drum fills ever recorded. Ever. Edited by Persona

Posted · Report post

I didn't know that song. I quite like it. I've never listened to 10000 Maniacs actually, though I know a few Natalie Merchant albums. There are songs like these that sound bright and windy. Do you know "Different Drum" by the Stone Poneys? (Linda Ronstadt's first band, back in the sixties). Not that I think it's the greatest song ever written, but it could be one of them. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Nq48sHF8M[/media]

Hey, Stef: I love that song! It strikes me as one of the most profound songs I've ever heard on the radio -- and the song has gotten its share of Adult Contemporary play over the years in this market. Like all Adult Contemporary stuff, it's been [i]over[/i]played, and yet the song retains a beauty, doesn't it? In fact, the CD it's off of has a couple of real gems on it. It was, IIRC, rather dismissed as the late work of a troubled band who was past its prime on the outs with each other, or whatever. But it's better than that. The opening track has always moved me, FWIW. Edited by Christian

I am hyperbole king. Everyone here knows that and loves me anyway. But seriously, I am not kidding. This is the greatest song ever written. I think that if it were put up to scrutiny that a good case for it could be made.

[quote name='Christian' date='23 February 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1266965553' post='216198']
In fact, the CD it's off of has a couple of real gems on it. [/quote]
The whole CD is easily in my Top 40 of all time. Which I'm recreating for my upcoming half-way-there birthday.

[quote name='Hugues' date='23 February 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1266964908' post='216191']
I didn't know that song. I quite like it. [/quote]
Glad to introduce you to it.

[quote name='Hugues' date='23 February 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1266964908' post='216191']Do you know "Different Drum" by the Stone Poneys? (Linda Ronstadt's first band, back in the sixties). Not that I think it's the greatest song ever written, but it could be one of them. :) [/quote]
I will give it a listen, thanks!

For future searches: Natalie Merchant, 10,000 Maniacs, Ten Thousand, Eden, Days. Edited by Persona

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Hugues' date='23 February 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1266964908' post='216191']Do you know "Different Drum" by the Stone Poneys? (Linda Ronstadt's first band, back in the sixties)
[/quote]
Very nice. With the keys and the bass line on the chorus, it reminded me of The Doors. With a female singer, obviously.

Posted · Report post

I might almost agree with the assessment of this song. I've always loved it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Joel' date='24 February 2010 - 02:51 AM' timestamp='1266997880' post='216272']
I might almost agree with the assessment of this song. I've always loved it.
[/quote]
Written by Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. Some day I'll have to write about why Mike Nesmith is the greatest songwriter. Ever.

Okay, no he's not, but some of his late '60s/early '70s country rock stuff was really great. In some ways he was as important as Gram Parsons. But he'll never get the credit because he was in that inane TV show.

Posted · Report post

Andy, I have purchased Mike Nesmith's first four albums just a few days ago! :) (twofers on CD). And a Monkees one (never heard them before either).

I think Joel was talking of the 10000 Maniacs song, though.

[quote name='Hugues' date='24 February 2010 - 08:00 AM' timestamp='1267020023' post='216287']I think Joel was talking of the 10000 Maniacs song, though.
[/quote]
Oh, I'm certain he was. Because nobody would disagree with this assessment. If A&F Had a Top 100 Spiritually Significant Songs of All-Time but No Hosanna Integrity Allowed List, "These Are Days" would be the top spot. Or just behind some lame old poetic pre-Newsom Dylan song, for sure. Edited by Persona

Posted · Report post

Isn't the greatest song ever written the one that Tenacious D sings about in "Tribute"? I mean, don't they say so right in the lyrics...? :D

Posted · Report post

Haven't heard it. I'm sure you've got the wrong one.

Posted · Report post

Clearly my guess was [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esy2b7qA9U4"]not quite accurate[/url].

Dale

Posted · Report post

LOL :)

Come on now, I know you agree with me on this.

Posted · Report post

All I can imagine now is Stef, dancing with abandon like Natalie Merchant on the head of a giant metal eagle.

Honestly though, this may be the greatest song ever manipulated, the [url="http://freevlog.hu/video/7932.html"]Joy Division/Missy Elliot[/url] mash-up.

[quote name='Persona' date='24 February 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1267045689' post='216342']
[quote name='Hugues' date='24 February 2010 - 08:00 AM' timestamp='1267020023' post='216287']I think Joel was talking of the 10000 Maniacs song, though.
[/quote]
Oh, I'm certain he was. Because nobody would disagree with this assessment. If A&F Had a Top 100 Spiritually Significant Songs of All-Time but No Hosanna Integrity Allowed List, "These Are Days" would be the top spot. Or just behind some lame old poetic pre-Newsom Dylan song, for sure.
[/quote]

Just supposing that someone who'd never heard this song before clicked your link, listened to it, and thought to themselves "Ugh, this is sort of... a bit rubbish"? What would that signify?

Hypothetical question, of course. [i]But[/i]: if there were to be an Arts and Faith poll for Most Spiritually Significant Song Called 'These Are The Days', then I would vote for the one by [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2Xzl6bylc"]Lift to Experience[/url]. With the caveat that it was probably a stupid idea for a poll.

p.s. I am pretty sure the words "pre-Newsom Dylan" are words that were never meant to sit side by side. Pretty sure. I think the God of Music shudders when he reads those words. Edited by stu

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stu' date='25 February 2010 - 05:39 AM' timestamp='1267097956' post='216414']p.s. I am pretty sure the words "pre-Newsom Dylan" are words that were never meant to sit side by side. Pretty sure. I think the God of Music shudders when he reads those words.
[/quote]
I was trying to antagonize Andy. It's what I do. He knows it. He also knows my IQ, and knows it probably ain't worth it. So it sits.

Posted · Report post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czmb6tEwFE8

Having spent some time in a Treacle mine, I have a bad case of vertigo, it causes me to get discombobulated in the presence of such dedicated sincerity as the Maniacs.

Posted · Report post

The song that kicked off this thread is now playing here at Starbucks as I type.

That is all.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Peter T Chattaway' date='27 February 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1267314135' post='216673']
The song that kicked off this thread is now playing here at Starbucks as I type.

That is all.
[/quote]
...And it's the greatest song ever written. AmIRight or AmIRight.

I guess I can only speak for myself, and I will let this thread drop soon, but this really is the position I hold. The tune brings tears to my eyes. For close to twenty years now. I think the CD came out about 1992. Maybe '93. And it wasn't one that jumped immediately at me -- I liked it, but no more than the Gin Blossoms back then. Or something like that. But as Christian said, there are quite a few gems on "Our Time in Eden," at least five I can think of from the top of my head: the first three tunes, which are Noah's Dove, These are Days, and Eden... and then the two with fun, blasting soul horns: Few and Far Between and Candy Everybody Wants. My friend Armand, who I think may have played tambourine on a few of those tunes, has some funny, funny stories about the horn section on this recording. But I am too removed from him and the situation to know whether it is internet friendly discussion or not, so I will leave it alone.

Point being: this song grew on me, from at first just a simple pop song, to actually about ten years ago beginning to become my life's song. What with recent troubles and need to seek out hope, that ray of light you need to look for in things like church rejection, unemployment and lost relationships and hope, this song now moves me more than ever. It's never forced and it always finds itself to me. Some people have life verses, I'm probably too charged for that as I would pick something bloody from the Old Testament. But this song feels like a life song. It has seriously brought hope, faith and tears -- every time at just the right time.

And I know it from that opening second, that drum fill that leads in that lasts exactly one second that contains all the same joy as the rest of the song, bursting forth in one split second. So perfect, so "These Are Days."

(Arcade Fire's "No Cars Go" is a close second.) Edited by Persona

Posted · Report post

Ya know Stef, i must say... Re: The Greatest Song Ever Written: the lyrics I LOVE, the music... uh, not so much. There are some better 10,000 Maniacs tunes and as far as the marriage of lyrics AND music, i'd vote any day for Natalie Merchant's "Wonder", which has moved me to tears many, many times. The actual MUSIC to "These Are Days" is a little flatline for me, whereas the lyrics are fantastic-- wistful without being sappy, etc...

I like this thread though, particularly the concept of up-voting TRULY GREAT songs that are not typically included in the critics' canon. Since you've thrown out a female singer and a song from the early nineties, i'll toss out k. d Lang's "Constant Craving", which is a monumental tune; moving to me both musically AND lyrically.

You're all wrong. That bridge in the minor key, then back to the major. The chord changes of the gods. This is the greatest pop song ever, all distilled down to 2:41 of perfection.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX9TDQcCyVE[/media][media]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX9TDQcCyVE[/media]

A second La's album, 20 years after the one and only debut, is supposedly due out later this year. We'll see. Edited by Andy Whitman

Posted · Report post

Might be a fun idea for a collective A&F mix cd (or iTunes playlist, I guess): Everyone contributes a single choice for "The Greatest Song Ever Written."

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Darren H' date='02 March 2010 - 06:24 AM' timestamp='1267539861' post='216902']
Might be a fun idea for a collective A&F mix cd (or iTunes playlist, I guess): Everyone contributes a single choice for "The Greatest Song Ever Written."
[/quote]

Oh oh, great idea!

If we ever get around to doing it...

Posted · Report post

Problem is that after we must decide who's right and only keep one song. ::w00t::