Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Nominations for the 2011 A&F 100

I'd rather see convincing arguments for the selections they think we missed. And not country of origin or genre -- actual selection. Narrow, not wide.

We do need specific discussion. Frankly, I was surprised there wasn't more of it before voting began.

I personally don't think it does any good at this point to nominate 300 films that no one sees. If you want to change the list, start a thread. Convince us. It's how the current Top 100 was made. Nominations are nice and all, but it's not where I start selecting films to watch.

That's probably true for a certain class of nominated film, such as my nomination for the Minghella short "Play"; probably the only people who have seen that are Beckett eggheads like me. But many of the new nominated films are films that are somewhat widely seen (among this group) but weren't nominated for 2010. I'd consider my nominations for Naked and Barcelona and Time Out to fall into that category; I would guess all those were seen more among voters than was A Moment of Innocence, despite the Makhmalbaf having been on the most recent two incarnations of the Top 100.

That said, I have no issue with requiring a supporting paragraph describing why the film is being nominated. I would even be willing to wave my right to ex post facto immunity.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I'm truly fascinated by this process. I'm new (obviously) to participating, but have been watching the list for the last 3 or 4 years. It's what drove me to buy the Dreyer Criterion set sight-unseen (and how could I ever complain about that?).

One way to start a nominating process that was more inclusive of lesser seen films is to create panels of nominators -- people who agree to watch a selection of, say, 10 lesser-seen films and suggest 2 or 3 that should be considered for further voting. It wouldn't be perfect, but could be a way of starting to move hidden films into slightly more visible territory. After a few years, the ones that really belong on the list should find their way closer.

For example, I nominated Pyaasa for 2011. The only reason I ever saw the film was because of an Indian Cinema class. But now, as one who agrees with about 80-85% of the current list, am convinced that others would benefit from watching that film. Likewise, I haven't seen any references to a person like Richard Dutcher, who's work is easier to get, but is virtually unknown (outside of Utah). I can't imagine that Brigham City or States of Grace wouldn't be loved by many people. (If his film Falling ever gets to DVD, those of you who love Scorsese -- Mean Streets-era -- will not believe that such a film can be made.) But I digress....

Anyway, I would love to volunteer for being on a panel and being assigned 10-15 films to work on and report back on.

Fascinating idea. Nice and collaborative. I'd love to hear what others think of it. Oh, and welcome to active posting on the board!

I'm truly fascinated by this process. I'm new (obviously) to participating, but have been watching the list for the last 3 or 4 years. It's what drove me to buy the Dreyer Criterion set sight-unseen (and how could I ever complain about that?).

One way to start a nominating process that was more inclusive of lesser seen films is to create panels of nominators -- people who agree to watch a selection of, say, 10 lesser-seen films and suggest 2 or 3 that should be considered for further voting. It wouldn't be perfect, but could be a way of starting to move hidden films into slightly more visible territory. After a few years, the ones that really belong on the list should find their way closer.

For example, I nominated Pyaasa for 2011. The only reason I ever saw the film was because of an Indian Cinema class. But now, as one who agrees with about 80-85% of the current list, am convinced that others would benefit from watching that film. Likewise, I haven't seen any references to a person like Richard Dutcher, who's work is easier to get, but is virtually unknown (outside of Utah). I can't imagine that Brigham City or States of Grace wouldn't be loved by many people. (If his film Falling ever gets to DVD, those of you who love Scorsese -- Mean Streets-era -- will not believe that such a film can be made.) But I digress....

Anyway, I would love to volunteer for being on a panel and being assigned 10-15 films to work on and report back on.

This is a bit off-topic, but, watchingtheology, I've been really eager to see Richard Dutcher's films ever since I read my friend Michael's article about him in Cinema Scope. His work sounds fascinating.

Edited by Darren H

I'd rather see convincing arguments for the selections they think we missed.

That's a great point, Stef. I'm sympathetic to the argument that our list is too heavy on slow, European, transcendental cinema, but it is very much a reflection of this board's history. Consensus has built gradually around filmmakers like Dreyer, Tarkovsky, Bergman, and Kieslowski because we spent a lot of years wrestling with those films. They were never just names on a list of nominations. Along with the regular discussion threads, we had occasional "film club" discussions, and many of us were also writing about them (more or less at the same time) on our own websites.

People who feel strongly about a specific film or filmmaker should start a dedicated thread and take the lead in making a case: give us a couple hundred words in defense, ask some good questions, link to other resources.

This is a bit off-topic, but, watchingtheology, I've been really eager to see Richard Dutcher's films ever since I read my friend Michael's article about him in Cinema Scope. His work sounds fascinating.

Hi Darren,

I think Dutcher's films are great, and they don't hurt to watch in chronological order (they grow in complexity and ambiguity). Dutcher is himself an interesting person, having been the godfather of Mormon cinema and ultimately leaving Mormonism.

Davey Morrison does a good job of treating his work on his blog, including this interview.

I've also done an episode on Dutcher's third film Brigham City on my podcast, Watching Theology.

I'm not a Mormon, so don't think his appeal is restricted to LDS church members. In fact, he has lost quite a bit of favor in the LDS community.

Sorry to add clutter, but I'm looking forward to helping you all catch up on your animation (since the list seems to be pretty ecumenical). Nearly all of them are short films so they should be easy to watch quickly. That said:

1. When will nominations close?

2. Some of them are a little obtuse. Should I provide brief notes on the directors, links to their other work (that wouldn't count as nominations), and maybe a 1-sentence summary of the films' points? Would that be too time-consuming to be useful?

Edited by GhaleonQ

Thanks for this.

Actually, nominations will not open up again fully until the fall. But if you would like to share some films, just offer some brief notes to introduce them to the community here.

Sorry to add clutter, but I'm looking forward to helping you all catch up on your animation (since the list seems to be pretty ecumenical). Nearly all of them are short films so they should be easy to watch quickly. That said:

1. When will nominations close?

2. Some of them are a little obtuse. Should I provide brief notes on the directors, links to their other work (that wouldn't count as nominations), and maybe a 1-sentence summary of the films' points? Would that be too time-consuming to be useful?

Is there any interest in developing a new way of voting and compiling films? Has anyone tried using "Flickchart.com"? This could be a great way to have members all subscribe and compile a personal top 100 (or whatever number) and have those lists easily compared among other members using the "friends" option. It might shake up the current list and invite a more active year-round participation and a look at overlooked films and filmmakers.

We're open to all suggestions.

We'd certainly like a vigorous discussion of the voting procedure for 2011.

Any thoughts about when we should begin the discussion with new threads, etc.?

I'm hoping we'll do a pre-vote on which films get to be voted on from directors who have more than three on the current list. I believe there's enough support in the "three per director" rule, but if not, let's hear other opinions. Once we establish that we're actually going to have this as a rule, then we can decide how to separate the three from the ones that'll be left off.

I'm as big a Bergman fan as the next guy, but seven is way too much.

Is there any interest in developing a new way of voting and compiling films? Has anyone tried using "Flickchart.com"? This could be a great way to have members all subscribe and compile a personal top 100 (or whatever number) and have those lists easily compared among other members using the "friends" option. It might shake up the current list and invite a more active year-round participation and a look at overlooked films and filmmakers.

If you're interested in using Flickchart, here is the (almost complete*) list of the 2010 A&F List. Chances are you'll need to manually add these. This is a great start before members modify and build their own lists.

Ordet 1955 Carl Theodor Dreyer NR 1

The Decalogue 1989 Krzysztof Kieslowski NR 2

Babette's Feast 1988 Gabriel Axel NR 3

The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928 Carl Theodor Dreyer NR 4

The Son 2002 Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne NR 5

Au Hasard Balthazar 1966 Robert Bresson PG 6

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 1927 F.W. Murnau NR 7

Andrei Rublev 1966 Andrei Tarkovsky NR 8

Early Summer 1951 Yasujirô Ozu NR 9

The Gospel According to St. Matthew 1964 Pier Paolo Pasolini NR 10

Diary of a Country Priest 1951 Robert Bresson NR 11

Wings of Desire 1988 Wim Wenders PG13 12

The Seventh Seal 1957 Ingmar Bergman NR 13

Ikiru 1952 Akira Kurosawa NR 14

Blue 1993 Krzysztof Kieslowski R 15

White 1994 Krzysztof Kieslowski R 16

Red 1994 Krzysztof Kieslowski R 17

The Mirror 1975 Andrei Tarkovsky NR 18

Song of the Little Road 1955 Satyajit Ray NR 19

Aparajito 1956 Satyajit Ray NR 20

Apur Sansar 1959 Satyajit Ray NR 21

Floating Weeds 1959 Yasujiro Ozu NR 22

Munyurangabo 2007 Lee Isaac Chung NR 23

The Burmese Harp 1956 Kon Ichikawa NR 24

Tokyo Story 1953 Yasujiro Ozu NR 25

A Serious Man 2009 Ethan & Joel Coen R 26

My Night at Maud's 1969 Eric Rohmer PG 27

Nostalghia 1983 Andrei Tarkovsky NR 28

Into Great Silence 2005 Philip Gröning NR 29

Still Life 2006 Zhang Ke Jia NR 30

The Child 2005 Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne R 31

Silent Light 2007 Carlos Reygadas NR 32

The Bicycle Thief 1948 Vittorio De Sica NR 33

A Man Escaped 1956 Robert Bresson NR 34

Stalker 1979 Andrei Tarkovsky NR 35

A Man for All Seasons 1966 Fred Zinnemann G 36

The Apostle 1998 Robert Duvall PG13 37

The Island 2006 Pavel Lungin NR 38

Days of Heaven 1978 Terrence Malick PG 39

Close-Up 1990 Abbas Kiarostami NR 40

Wild Strawberries 1957 Ingmar Bergman NR 41

Playtime 1967 Jacques Tati NR 42

Winter Light 1963 Ingmar Bergman NR 43

Through a Glass Darkly 1961 Ingmar Bergman PG 44

The House is Black 1963 Forugh Farrokhzad NR 45

Le Rayon Vert 1986 Eric Rohmer R 46

Day of Wrath 1943 Carl Theodor Dreyer NR 47

The Promise 1996 Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne NR 48

It's a Wonderful Life 1946 Frank Capra NR 49

Killer of Sheep 1977 Charles Burnett NR 50

M 1931 Fritz Lang NR 51

Late Spring 1949 Yasujiro Ozu NR 52

Solaris 1972 Andrei Tarkovsky PG 53

The Spirit of the Beehive 1973 Víctor Erice NR 54

Cries and Whispers 1973 Ingmar Bergman NR 55

My Life to Live 1962 Jean-Luc Godard NR 56

The Straight Story 1999 David Lynch G 57

The Flowers of St. Francis 1950 Roberto Rossellini NR 58

Ponette 1997 Jacques Doillon NR 59

The Wind Will Carry Us 1999 Abbas Kiarostami NR 60

Magnolia 1999 Paul Thomas Anderson R 61

Faust: A German Folk Legend 1926 F.W. Murnau NR 62

Fanny and Alexander 1982 Ingmar Bergman R 63

Paris, Texas 1984 Wim Wenders R 64

The Trial of Joan of Arc 1962 Robert Bresson NR 65

Beau Travail 2000 Claire Denis NR 66

A Moment of Innocence 1996 Mohsen Makhmalbaf NR 67

After Life 1999 Hirokazu Koreeda NR 68

Lorna's Silence 2009 Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne R 69

Chariots of Fire 1981 Hugh Hudson PG 70

Dersu Uzala 1975 Akira Kurosawa G 71

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days 2007 Cristian Mungiu NR 72

An Autumn Afternoon 1962 Yasujiro Ozu NR 73

Heartbeat Detector 2007 Nicolas Klotz NR 74

Tender Mercies 1984 Bruce Beresford PG 75

Rashomon 1950 Akira Kurosawa NR 76

Becket 1964 Peter Glenville PG13 77

Black Narcissus 1947 Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger NR 78

Summer Hours 2008 Olivier Assayas NR 79

Eureka 2000 Shinji Aoyama R 80

Meshes of the Afternoon 1943 Maya Deren, Alexander Hammid NR 81

Rome, Open City 1945 Roberto Rossellini NR 82

Syndromes and a Century 2006 Apichatpong Weerasethakul NR 83

Rosetta 1999 Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne R 84

Pickpocket 1959 Robert Bresson NR 85

Punch-Drunk Love 2002 Paul Thomas Anderson R 86

Stroszek 1977 Werner Herzog NR 87

Jésus de Montréal (Jesus of Montreal) 1989 Denys Arcand R 88

The Sacrifice 1986 Andrei Tarkovsky PG 89

Yi Yi: A One and a Two 2000 Edward Yang NR 90

Au Revoir Les Enfants 1987 Louis Malle NR 91

Ushpizin 2004 Giddi Dar PG 92

Son of Man 2008 Mark Dornford-May NR 93

In Praise of Love 2001 Jean-Luc Godard PG 94

Crimes and Misdemeanors 1989 Woody Allen PG13 95

The Virgin Spring 1960 Ingmar Bergman NR 96

The New World 2006 Terrence Malick PG13 97

The Return 2003 Andrei Zvyagintsev NR 98

Mr. Hulot's Holiday 1953 Jacques Tati NR 99

The Song of Bernadette 1945 Henry King NR 100

Breaking the Waves 1996 Lars von Trier R 101

* Notes:

1. FC doesn't seem to allow a "Trilogy" -- each film (Apu, Colours) has to stand alone (maybe that's a good thing).

2. Doesn't seem to be a way to add the "By Brakhage: An Anthology" as that's a DVD collection of shorts and not an actual release (no iMDB listing)

3. The Cyclist is not currently in the system. A request to add is submitted. Usually, it only takes FC a day or two to add new titles. I'll update this when it shows.

I'm hoping we'll do a pre-vote on which films get to be voted on from directors who have more than three on the current list. I believe there's enough support in the "three per director" rule, but if not, let's hear other opinions. Once we establish that we're actually going to have this as a rule, then we can decide how to separate the three from the ones that'll be left off.

Wouldn't we just separate the three by selecting the three with the top scores from the main vote and reject the rest? I don't necessarily see the need for a "pre-vote."

I'm as big a Bergman fan as the next guy, but seven is way too much.

For sure.

Alright, so I've gradually been altering my list of nominees, preparing myself. What I have at the moment:

1. 2046
  2. APOCALYPSE NOW
  3. BARRY LYNDON
  4. BARTON FINK
  5. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
  6. CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT
  7. HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR
  8. LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD
  9. THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
  10. MULHOLLAND DRIVE
  11. NETWORK
  12. RAN
  13. THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD
  14. SUNSET BOULEVARD
  15. THE TENANT
  16. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
  17. THE TRIAL
  18. VERTIGO
  19. VIVRA SA VIE
  20. WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

Edited by Ryan H.

Ryan: No animation? No John Ford?? Didn't you learn anything from last year's debacle?!

I kid.

But seriously, you gotta get There Will Be Blood off that list. ;) [That "But seriously" was not serious...]

Wouldn't we just separate the three by selecting the three with the top scores from the main vote and reject the rest? I don't necessarily see the need for a "pre-vote."

Before I answer that, I'll need to look at the list to determine whether the top three are the right three.

- Rhapsody in August - criminally neglected Kurosawa film, his penultimate (I love that word)

- something, anything by Miyazaki! - maybe Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke

- Troubled Water - I've watched it three times this year, and it still takes my breath away

- The End of Summer - maybe I'm being nitpicky, but I prefer this Ozu to An Autumn Afternoon

- Tampopo - just kidding, though it's a very funny movie.

We gotta somehow find a way to get this Ozu guy off the list. Maybe I need to see more of those films so I can vote him down.

Ryan: No animation? No John Ford?? Didn't you learn anything from last year's debacle?!

Listen. We need some variety on the list, on that you and I can agree. I think almost every one of the films on my list would bring something to the list that isn't there right now. As far as animation is concerned, I'm only pulling for FANTASIA to make it, and I despair that it ever will, so I'd rather nominate something else in its stead. As far as John Ford goes, I'll take Leone over Ford every day of the week, but sometimes you just gotta make calls; no matter how much I plead and beg, no way is this group putting ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST or ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA up there.

Nevertheless, with BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, VERTIGO, SUNSET BOULEVARD, and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?, there are enough great Hollywood films on my list.

But seriously, you gotta get There Will Be Blood off that list.

Them's be fightin' words.

Edited by Ryan H.

Dumping post for stuff I want to remember to nominate (and haven't checked yet to see if anyone else has already nominated):

• Pieces of April
  • Night of the Hunter
  • Gandhi
  • Le Samourai
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • The Proposition
  • Stray Dog
  • Kolya
  • The 400 Blows
  • The Remains of the Day
  • The Nun's Story
  • The Third Man

Dumping post for stuff I want to remember to nominate (and haven't checked yet to see if anyone else has already nominated):

• Pieces of April
  • Night of the Hunter
  • Gandhi
  • Le Samourai
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • The Proposition
  • Stray Dog
  • Kolya
  • The 400 Blows
  • The Remains of the Day
  • The Nun's Story
  • The Third Man

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER has been nominated and seconded. I'm not sure about any of the others.