Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greg Wolfe

The Top 100 Website

31 posts in this topic

The website is live:

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/

Please use this thread for any corrections, emendations, and suggestions for improvement for the Top 100 website you may have.

With a site this ambitious we're sure that there will be

The one issue we have already decided on: films will be listed by their English titles first, unless the foreign title is so common that it is actually better known (e.g., Ikiru).

Thanks for your help!

Who do we speak to about volunteering for blurb duty?

Greg Wolfe wrote:

: The one issue we have already decided on: films will be listed by their English titles first, unless the foreign title is so common that it is actually better known (e.g., Ikiru).

Actually, right now To Live is listed ahead of (Ikiru). But I guess that's one of the things that might get edited soon, along with some of the links. :)

FWIW, I also just noticed that, whereas most of the Top Ten films have hyperlinks under the English title but not under the parenthetical foreign title, By Chance Balthasar (Au Hasard Balthasar) has the hyperlink running across both of the titles.

Who do we speak to about volunteering for blurb duty?

That would be me. Via PM.

Thx.

Greg Wolfe wrote:

: The one issue we have already decided on: films will be listed by their English titles first, unless the foreign title is so common that it is actually better known (e.g., Ikiru).

Actually, right now To Live is listed ahead of (Ikiru). But I guess that's one of the things that might get edited soon, along with some of the links. :)

FWIW, I also just noticed that, whereas most of the Top Ten films have hyperlinks under the English title but not under the parenthetical foreign title, By Chance Balthasar (Au Hasard Balthasar) has the hyperlink running across both of the titles.

Sorry -- that's what happens when two people work on different versions of the same page. Corrections made.

First: Pretty pretty pretty. I like.

Second: I think it's extremely noncontroversial to say that Au Revoir, Les Enfants should be listed as the primary title rather than Goodbye to the Children. Ditto with Au Hasard Balthazar over By Chance, Balthazar.

Nema-ye Nazdik is listed as an alternate title for both Close-Up and Rashômon; it's only true for the former.

Toyko Story has an odd link, both formatwise and where it links to (nowhere).

Dale

Good catches. Changes made.

First: Pretty pretty pretty. I like.

Second: I think it's extremely noncontroversial to say that Au Revoir, Les Enfants should be listed as the primary title rather than Goodbye to the Children. Ditto with Au Hasard Balthazar over By Chance, Balthazar.

Nema-ye Nazdik is listed as an alternate title for both Close-Up and Rashômon; it's only true for the former.

Toyko Story has an odd link, both formatwise and where it links to (nowhere).

Dale

To members, voters, Greg & everyone at Image: Great job!

I have many thoughts, but the immediate that springs to mind: there are so many "great film" lists that are just lists - what we have is also a tool. A springboard for discussion and research. It's wonderful. Let's get the rest of the blurbs filled in!

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

The one thing I'd suggest: direct links on that page to our previous lists.

Ordet's clip is subtitled in Spanish. Are we going that far in foreign catering? :P

Something else - could it be helpful to include links to board discussions of films that we have discussed?

There is a link to board discussion on the left hand side beneath the video clip for each entry.

Second: I think it's extremely noncontroversial to say that Au Revoir, Les Enfants should be listed as the primary title rather than Goodbye to the Children.

Agreed.

Ditto with Au Hasard Balthazar over By Chance, Balthazar.

Double helping of agreed. I never even heard of By Chance, Balthazar until now.

Very nice work. I quite like the movie poster images, especially the older ones like Joan of Arc and Sunrise.

I think Dersu Uzala (#69) is the much more common spelling than "Derzu," at least according to IMDb and my knowledgeable yet--let's face it--indefatigably tedious friend Mr. Google.

Edited by du Garbandier

On older versions of IE, there's a huge whitespace where the film listing should be. If you scroll down, you find the info. I don't think this is much of an issue since most normal people have upgrade by now, but thought I'd through it out there.

I'd say Ordet rather than "The Word" too. Particularly as internet searches give you all sorts for "The Word", but Ordet tends to be about the film, I think more and more people are calling it by it's Danish title. In fact I've rarely known anyone refer to it in English.

Matt

Along with what has been mentioned:

Just "Beau travail" is standard

Woo hoo!!

Great work, Image team!

FWIW there used to be a link to the top 100 on the site header somewhere, probably next to where it says "chat". Might be worth doing that again to make it more accessible once the discussion around it has died away.

Matt

I notice that the Early Summer page's A&F discussion link goes to the Ordet discussion thread. There seems to be no dedicated Early Summer thread; here's a link to the general Ozu thread.

Film #9 Early Summer has a grammar error in the writeup. It is the first sentence in the second paragraph it has an extra "things." It should probably read, "Ozu is fascinated with all the things that we lose as time progresses through generations, war, and the disorienting march of modernization."

Edited by Persona

First, let me say, this look so excellent. Thanks for all the effort you have put in to this. If you couldn't tell, it means a lot to quite a few people around here.

Second, and it is not film related, but the actual "100" at the top of the page has an odd number one character, "I00." I just feel like it throws things off a bit.

Are there plans to have a link from the front page to the Top 100 page at a certain point? Or am I missing something here...

Edited by Persona

You'd think it would be easy to just put that tab on the menu, Stef, but we ran into a coding snag. Will get to it soon.

Good eye!

G

Are there plans to have a link from the front page to the Top 100 page at a certain point? Or am I missing something here...

FWIW there used to be a link to the top 100 on the site header somewhere, probably next to where it says "chat". Might be worth doing that again to make it more accessible once the discussion around it has died away.

Matt

Thanks for raising that again Stef. I couldn't remember where I'd posted it and had been meaning to ensure the admins had seen it.

Matt

On the Apu Trilogy, entry #17, on both the main page with all 100 films and on its own page, one of the films is listed as Apu Sansar. Its correct title is actually Apur Sansar.