Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

The thread where we grudgingly admit how few of the A&F top 100 we've actually seen.

John, there's a documentary, In the Mirror of Maya Deren, that's worth watching along with Meshes in the Afternoon. Meshes is available from Netflix streaming, by the way.

On Netflix, Meshes is part of Maya Deren: Experimental Films, BTW. Nothing comes up when you search for Meshes in the Afternoon itself.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Netflix doesn't have any of the Apu Trilogy available; not sure if there's even a US DVD for it. The best I could find was a no-subtitles version of Pather Panchali on YouTube.

Twitter Blog

Ok, if I count the episodes of DEKALOG I've seen, that brings my count to 20. The other 19:

THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC

THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW

WINGS OF DESIRE

THE SEVENTH SEAL

IKIRU

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS

WILD STRAWBERRIES

DAYS OF HEAVEN

SILENT LIGHT

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

M

THE FLOWERS OF ST. FRANCIS

MAGNOLIA

CHARIOTS OF FIRE

RASHOMON

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE

JESUS OF MONTREAL

THE NEW WORLD

BREAKING THE WAVES

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

45.5 - I had to send "M" back because of crappy unreadable subtitles. Not bad considering how much the list has changed. Though last time I had seen 47 when it was published, and somewhere over 50 by the time it expired.

Matt

FWIW, you can download the full movie from the Internet Archive.

[link]

Is that legal? And not an infringement of copyright?

And are the subtitles readable?

Thanks

Matt

John, there's a documentary, In the Mirror of Maya Deren, that's worth watching along with Meshes in the Afternoon. Meshes is available from Netflix streaming, by the way.

Thanks, Darren. I know nothing about Deren or her work, so I'm sure the doc will help bring some context to it all.

That said, let me just take this opportunity, with all the talk about the lack of animation in the main list thread, how glad I am that the list includes two experimental or avant-garde entries. Lists with that distinctive are few and far between I suspect.

Netflix doesn't have any of the Apu Trilogy available; not sure if there's even a US DVD for it. The best I could find was a no-subtitles version of Pather Panchali on YouTube.

Thank for that, Tyler. I've found it and added it to the queue.

As for the Apu Trilogy, there was a Columbia (I think) release several years back that was terrible, and it has since gone out of print. I've got a region 2 copy of the series from the UK, which was the only way I was ever able to see them.

Top 5 to see: Floating Weeds, Burmese Harp, Summer, Meshes in the Afternoon, and In Praise of Love

What an awesome, inspiring week of cinema.

Indeed! Can't wait to see what I have in store.

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

I just queued up all of the Netflixable films I haven't seen and hope to check off the whole list before the next iteration of the list. There are a few I wasn't able to find: Ponette, Eureka, and The Trial of Joan of Arc.

I just queued up all of the Netflixable films I haven't seen and hope to check off the whole list before the next iteration of the list. There are a few I wasn't able to find: Ponette, Eureka, and The Trial of Joan of Arc.

It looks like Region 2 is the best bet for Eureka.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

[link]

Thanks

Matt

I don't know all the legal technicalities... the Internet Archive is a reputable site, not a repository for illegal materials.

And yes, the subtitles are readable (but they're not perfect).

That's just how eye roll.

I've seen 36, which is more than I expected. I wish I could still afford Lovefilm. It may be a long while before I get to see some of those on the lists that I have placed little stars next to. Poop.

[link]

Thanks

Matt

I don't know all the legal technicalities... the Internet Archive is a reputable site, not a repository for illegal materials.

And yes, the subtitles are readable (but they're not perfect).

Or you can borrow my copy. I'll pass it on to Stu.

)

Edited by gigi

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

It looks like Region 2 is the best bet for Eureka.

Same for the Bresson, which looks to be a great deal at Amazon UK. I've also got this disc Darren, if you'd like to borrow it.

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

You know, if the list had Star Trek, Harry Potter and other stuff like that on it, I would have seen a whole lot more. ;)

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

FWIW, I've seen 70.3 of the entries listed here. (I say point-three because I have seen Pather Panchali but neither of its sequels in the "Apu trilogy".) So, I'm behind John (85) and Darren (75) and just a hair ahead of tyler1984 (70).

These viewings all took place over a 25-year span, though, so my memory of several of these is pretty dim, and I had to check my film journals to confirm that I had, in fact, seen some of them. (There are even a few titles that I think I MIGHT have seen, but I can't find them in my journals, so for now I'm going to assume that I really WANTED to see them when they passed through the local cinematheque but, for whatever reason, I never did get around to catching them.) So it's not like I'm ready for the final exam or anything.

FWIW, the films I have not yet seen (or can't find any evidence of having seen):

9. Early Summer ("Bakushû"), 1951, Yasujiro Ozu

18. Floating Weeds ("Ukigusa"), 1959, Yasujiro Ozu

20. Burmese Harp, The, 1956, Kon Ichikawa

23. My Night at Maud's ("Ma nuit chez Maud"), 1969, Eric Rohmer

25. Nostalghia, 1983, Andrei Tarkovsky

26. Still Life ("Sanxia haoren"), 2006, Zhang Ke Jia

34. Close-Up ("Nema-ye Nazdik"), 1990, Abbas Kiarostami

40. House is Black,The (Khaneh siah ast), 1964, Forugh Farrokhzad

41. Summer / The Green Ray ("Le Rayon vert"), 1986, Eric Rohmer

44. Promesse, La, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne

46. M, 1931, Fritz Lang

47. Late Spring ("Banshun"), 1972, Yasujiro Osu

50. Cyclist, The ("Bicycleran"), 1987, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

51. Spirit of the Beehive, The ("El espíritu de la colmena"), 1973, Víctor Erice

52. Cries and Whispers, 1973, Ingmar Bergman

53. My Life to Live ("Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux"), 1962, Jean-Luc Godard

59. Faust, 1926, F.W. Murnau

61. Paris, Texas, 1984, Wim Wenders

62. Moment of Innocence, A ("Nun va Goldoon"), 1997, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

64. Beau travail, 1999, Claire Denis

66. By Brakhage: An Anthology, 2003, Stan Brakhage

71. Autumn Afternoon, An (“Sanma no aji”), 1962, Yasujiro Ozu

72. Heartbeat Detector ("La question humaine"), 2007, Nicolas Klotz

78. Eureka, 2000, Shinji Aoyama

79. Meshes in the Afternoon, 1943, Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid

81. Syndromes and a Century ("Sang sattawat"), 2006, Apichatpong Weerasethakul

86. Sacrifice, The ("Offret-Sacrificatio"), 1986, Andrei Tarkovsky

87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog

91. Goodbye to the Children ("Au Revoir, Les Enfants"), 1987, Louis Malle

Plus two-thirds of the "Apu trilogy".

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

FWIW, the films I have not yet seen (or can't find any evidence of having seen):

9. Early Summer ("Bakushû"), 1951, Yasujiro Ozu

18. Floating Weeds ("Ukigusa"), 1959, Yasujiro Ozu

20. Burmese Harp, The, 1956, Kon Ichikawa

23. My Night at Maud's ("Ma nuit chez Maud"), 1969, Eric Rohmer

25. Nostalghia, 1983, Andrei Tarkovsky

26. Still Life ("Sanxia haoren"), 2006, Zhang Ke Jia

34. Close-Up ("Nema-ye Nazdik"), 1990, Abbas Kiarostami

40. House is Black,The (Khaneh siah ast), 1964, Forugh Farrokhzad

41. Summer / The Green Ray ("Le Rayon vert"), 1986, Eric Rohmer

44. Promesse, La, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne

46. M, 1931, Fritz Lang

47. Late Spring ("Banshun"), 1972, Yasujiro Osu

50. Cyclist, The ("Bicycleran"), 1987, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

51. Spirit of the Beehive, The ("El espíritu de la colmena"), 1973, Víctor Erice

52. Cries and Whispers, 1973, Ingmar Bergman

53. My Life to Live ("Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux"), 1962, Jean-Luc Godard

59. Faust, 1926, F.W. Murnau

61. Paris, Texas, 1984, Wim Wenders

62. Moment of Innocence, A ("Nun va Goldoon"), 1997, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

64. Beau travail, 1999, Claire Denis

66. By Brakhage: An Anthology, 2003, Stan Brakhage

71. Autumn Afternoon, An (“Sanma no aji”), 1962, Yasujiro Ozu

72. Heartbeat Detector ("La question humaine"), 2007, Nicolas Klotz

78. Eureka, 2000, Shinji Aoyama

79. Meshes in the Afternoon, 1943, Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid

81. Syndromes and a Century ("Sang sattawat"), 2006, Apichatpong Weerasethakul

86. Sacrifice, The ("Offret-Sacrificatio"), 1986, Andrei Tarkovsky

87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog

91. Goodbye to the Children ("Au Revoir, Les Enfants"), 1987, Louis Malle

Plus two-thirds of the "Apu trilogy".

OK - so I haven't seen many of these, however I would heartily recommend 'The Spirit of the Beehive' and Eureka from this list. There are others I really like there too, however these were both stand-out moments for me.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

9 (maybe 10, can't remember if I've seen Crimes and Misdeameanors)

Babette's Feast

Into Great Silence

The Apostle

It's a Wonderful Life

The Straight Story

Magnolia

Chariots of Fire

Rosetta

Breaking the Waves

: M

Thanks Gigi.

: Amazon UK

Ooh thanks. Can't afford them all. Which to get?

Also, I've either seen the Rossellini Joan of Arc, or the Bresson one, but I can never remember which. I think I even wrote the capsule review for one of the old incarnations of the list. Anyone care to help me out?

Matt

I can't imagine what it will be like to Wings of Desire for the first time now. It's had a disappointing sequel, a terrible remake, and its style has been aped in spoofs and lesser films. But then again, when I watched it recently, I was caught up just as I was the first time.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I watched Ponette on YouTube.

Twitter Blog

Babette's Feast and Wings of Desire are on the way from Netflix. You people better know what you're talking about. ;)

Horrible, horrible films! Send them straight back, don't even open 'em up, just "Return To Sender."

(jokin' I loves me both of 'em)

I watched Ponette on YouTube.

I cannot belive for the life of me that Ponette isn't available on Netflix. Huh. The world is off kilter, something here is just plain out of whack.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Interesting. I thought I watched it on Region 1. From the local library of all places. Must have been on VHS.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Interesting. I thought I watched it on Region 1. From the local library of all places. Must have been on VHS.

I think we both watched Thom's VHS. Back when people had those things.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.