Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Coverage of the 2010 A&F Top 100

Interesting that people pick up on the "spirituality and film" angle when that is not even how many of us voted.

Most of those Commonweal commenters would have loved the last list.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

A blog.

Conversant Life via Moviefone.

A blog.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Yeah, Moviefone feeds a lot of sites. TV Guide, Hollywood Life, etc...

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Interesting that people pick up on the "spirituality and film" angle when that is not even how many of us voted.

Most of those Commonweal commenters would have loved the last list.

But wasn't this very phenomenon that Greg Wolfe argued--that the "Arts & Faith" moniker delivered all the necessary context of "spirituality" the list needed, at least outside the boundaries of this forum? Kudos to him and his team!

Video Xoom via CT.

"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

But wasn't this very phenomenon that Greg Wolfe argued--that the "Arts & Faith" moniker delivered all the necessary context of "spirituality" the list needed, at least outside the boundaries of this forum? Kudos to him and his team!

Precisely. And this will change voting next year for sure, seeing the expectation actually play out in the list reception.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Precisely. And this will change voting next year for sure, seeing the expectation actually play out in the list reception.

I agree; I know *I* would have voted slightly differently if I knew that this is the angle the media was going to take on the project. I wouldn't have given Punch-Drunk Love the 5 I did, that's for sure.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

A blog.

A blog.

A blog.

Youth Worker Magazine.

A blog.

A blog.

A blog.

OpEdNews.

A blog.

A blog (Brett McCracken).

A blog (in which we are taken to task for overlooking As it is in Heaven and includes a downloadable PDF version of our list).

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

An interesting discussion of the list is taking place over on the Auteurs forum.

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: An interesting discussion of the list is taking place over on the Auteurs forum.

One of the earlier commenters writes: "the dismissal of Balkan and Baltic European lands is glaring since parts of Christian religion are similar to the Orthodox Russians". As an Orthodox Christian whose church has ties to the Russian community, I am, uh, not sure what to make of this statement.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I like that discussion though. It is interesting to see what people are bringing to the list in terms of expectations.

And the insistence that we include Yeelen is rough. I included it on my religion and film list, but I think about 20 people have actually seen that movie.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

du Garbandier wrote:

: Star Tribune, perchance?

Hmmm. From the article:

Rounding out the top five are: "The Decalogue" (Polish), "Babette's Feast" (Danish), "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (French) and "The Son" (French). Notice a pattern? Other than "Sunrise," a 1927 silent film that finished No. 7, "A Serious Man" is the top American-made movie on the list.

Technically, isn't The Son Belgian, rather than French? Though I suppose "French" is accurate if you're going by language rather than nationality. (Me, I'd prefer to say "Belgian" if only because it makes the Top 5 look just that much more diverse.)

Similarly, The Passion of Joan of Arc might be French because France is the country that produced it (at least according to the IMDb), but the director was Danish (which would mean THREE of the Top 5 films were directed by Danes), and the movie itself was technically silent and could have had intertitles in ANY language.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

A blog (N.W. Douglas).

Jeuxvideo.com forums (French).

A blog.

A blog.

Along the same lines...

Alissa Wilkinson pitched me an easy one during the Q&A after my lecture at the IAM Encounter in NYC: Where can we get started in finding richer, more rewarding movies?

I launched into a rave about the A&F Top 100. I told people how to find it, and cautioned them that some of the films there might not be what they're used to.

God bless Alissa. She had a very knowing smile, even before I began answering the question.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

On May 10, Dick Staub's program/podcast "The Kindlings Muse" will do a program on the top 5 films of the Top 100. It will be held here in Seattle at Hale's Ales.

Along the same lines...

Alissa Wilkinson pitched me an easy one during the Q&A after my lecture at the IAM Encounter in NYC: Where can we get started in finding richer, more rewarding movies?

I launched into a rave about the A&F Top 100. I told people how to find it, and cautioned them that some of the films there might not be what they're used to.

God bless Alissa. She had a very knowing smile, even before I began answering the question.

Yep. I proposed that to Staub and Co. a few weeks ago, and the team liked the idea. I can't wait. We'll probably talk about the top five in detail (although the Kindlings have already covered Babette's Feast in detail, and The Decalogue too. So we can focus on Ordet, Joan of Arc, and The Son. Maybe we can make room for Balthazar and Sunrise too (which would mean I need to get around to seeing Sunrise soon).

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

And over at Filmwell, I'm going to try a sort of layman's stumble through the A&F 100. Don't know how far I'll get, but Balthazar is up and I'm working on Three Colors and Wild Strawberries, so...

Edited by N.K. Carter

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

A blog (mostly about Ordet).

A blog.

A blog (in which M. Leary appears to have commented... and then failed to mention here).

A blog (the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri).

Just a general announcement: I've put in links to the Top 20 on both Wikipedia and IMDB. The links on Wikipedia show up immediately, and I've also erased past links there. IMDB usually takes a week or so, and there was only one film I found -- Sunrise -- that was already linked. It looked like it was linked somehow to the right page, so I left it alone.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.