Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Link to our thread on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

- - -

Tim Burton Hunts Abe Lincoln & Vampires

Steven Spielberg and screenwriter Tony Kushner have spent years trying to frame an epic film about President Lincoln and his agonizing decision to prolong the war and crush the South because it was the only way to abolish slavery. But now I've learned that directors Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov have found another angle on the Lincoln story: Abe's lifelong mission to kill vampires. They'll produce with Jim Lemley a movie adaptation of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the Seth Grahame-Smith novel that Grand Central Publishing released today. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, March 2

Will Spielberg's Munich star Eric Bana be the *other* Abe Lincoln coming to a theatre near you (besides Spielberg's Lincoln)?

Edited by Overstreet

Long ago, I read a book on Postmodernism, which contended that in the United States, we're given false dichotomies, to make it seem like we're making a choice, like Coke or Pepsi, but in reality, both products are virtually the same. Since then, I've noticed how one is often presented a false choice between two nearly identical recording artists, and more commonly, in films, there are often two films released within the same year, often about the same subject. I remember these instances in the late-90s, when I managed a video store, but Dante's Peak and Volcano were released in the same year; likewise, Deep Impact and Armageddon. I have more recent examples which are not coming to the forefront of my mind, but I do see the release of Spielberg's Lincoln and Burton's Lincoln as what I may call the most disparate, yet peculiarly weird example of this false dichotomy. One can choose between a serious film about Lincoln, who will be played by a tall British actor, or one can choose a trivial film about Lincoln, who will be played by a tall British actor.

I don't know that coinciding films represent a "false dichotomy", necessarily. I can remember how, in 1989, James Cameron took his time making The Abyss, which allowed rival studios to rush films like Leviathan and Deep Star Six into the theatres before Cameron's film came out. The flood of disaster movies in the late '90s -- which included not only Deep Impact and Armageddon on the big screen, but Asteroid on the small screen, and not only Volcano and Dante's Peak on the big screen, but Volcano: Fire on the Mountain on the small screen -- seems to me like a similar kind of copy-catting and bandwagon-jumping, more than anything else.

Certainly Spielberg has been talking about making his Abraham Lincoln movie for a long, LONG time now -- so long, in fact, that he's already been beaten to the punch by Robert Redford's The Conspirator. If someone else beats him to the punch, it wouldn't particularly "mean" anything, I think.

One can choose between a serious film about Lincoln, who will be played by a tall British actor,

Obviously, you speak of Burton's Vampire hunter epic.

Wait a minute, neither Neeson nor Bana are British. Neeson is Irish (admittedly, he was born in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, but it isn't part of Great Britain, technically), and Bana is Australian (and FWIW, his father was Croatian and his mother was German).

(admittedly, he was born in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, but it isn't part of Great Britain, technically)

But it is part of the British Isles. :)

(admittedly, he was born in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, but it isn't part of Great Britain, technically)

But it is part of the British Isles. :)

You go to Irelandand call some Irish folks Brits. See how far you get. ;)

They have an accent = they are British. End of story. :)

More importantly, you need subtitles for all of 'em. They're the same. End of story.

This is why I hate foreign films... whether they are from Iran, Russia, or whatever...the British accents.

This is why I hate foreign films... whether they are from Iran, Russia, or whatever...the British accents.

Exactly.

Wait a minute, neither Neeson nor Bana are British. Neeson is Irish (admittedly, he was born in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, but it isn't part of Great Britain, technically), and Bana is Australian (and FWIW, his father was Croatian and his mother was German).

Neeson? I'm confused. I thought Daniel Day-Lewis had been announced as Spielberg's Lincoln. He holds dual citizenship: British and Irish.

Edited by Overstreet

Overstreet wrote:

: Neeson? I'm confused. I thought Daniel Day-Lewis had been announced as Spielberg's Lincoln. He holds dual citizenship: British and Irish.

Oh, right, I remember getting that memo.

So, yes, Day-Lewis is British, though he did win his first Oscar for playing an Irishman (and then he moved to Ireland a few years later).

Incidentally, if we're going by citizenship, then apparently *I'm* British, just by virtue of the fact that my dad was born in England. I qualify for passports and everything, apparently (though I'm not planning to move to the EU any time soon, so I haven't bothered doing any of the paperwork). I'm also tall, or so I've been told. But I don't know that I'd refer to myself as a "tall Brit". :)

Why doesn't he get more work? He's a terrific actor and very likeable in most any role.

Oh, that is golden! Love it. The article actually makes me want to see this one.