Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

Exploring the list

At the time of the list's release, I'd seen 75 of the top 100 films, and I've set the goal of seeing the remaining 25 before we begin voting on the next iteration. I figured it might be fun to create a post where I could track my progress, and it would also give us a place to post quick responses. Anyone else want to play?

1. Babette's Feast
  2. Wings of Desire
  3. The Burmese Harp
  4. A Serious Man
  5. Into Great Silence
  6. A Man for All Seasons
  7. The Apostle
  8. The House is Black
  9. Ponette
  10. The Trial of Joan of Arc
  11. Chariots of Fire
  12. Tender Mercies
  13. Becket
  14. Eureka
  15. Stroszek
  16. Jesus of Montreal
  17. Ushpizin
  18. Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher
  19. Au Revoir, Les Enfants
  20. Son of Man
  21. The Virgin Spring
  22. M. Hulot's Holiday
  23. The Return
  24. Breaking the Waves
  25. The Song of Bernadette

March 5:

I wish I'd seen Wings of Desire earlier in my life as a cinephile, because I suspect that much of what makes it so memorable and important to many -- its formal audacity, especially -- just didn't work for me. (I tweeted while watching the first hour that I kept expecting Janet Jackson to begin singing about the "Rhythm Nation.") I do love the concept, though -- the idea of immortal angels who remain fascinated, millennia later, by the small wonders of human behavior and emotion. I liked the film best when Wenders' camera stopped floating gracefully through the world and stopped to really look at something or someone, like the trapeze artist. The World War II footage is beautiful and moving, too.

March 8:

Some quick notes on Babette's Feast

March 15:

The Burmese Harp was my first Kon Ichikawa film, and I'm now eager to track down more. Of course, it's very effective as a "the horror, the horror" kind of anti-war film (and I'm all for an arts and faith list including anti-war films), but I was more struck by Ichikawa's treatment of Japan's shame and guilt. It would make an interesting pairing with Sokurov's The Sun. Another interesting pairing would be The Thin Red Line. I can't seem to muster quite as much enthusiasm for Malick as many around here, but I was reminded often of Jim Caviezal's character. For whatever reasons, I was much more convinced by Mizushima's sudden conversion. That shot of him burying by hand the pile of bodies really got to me.

Tender Mercies is a movie I probably wouldn't have seen had it not been included on our list, so thanks to everyone who voted for it. What a beautiful little film.

March 20:

Holy cow. The chicken dance at the end of Stroszek might rival the finale of Beau Travail!

March 21:

I really liked parts of The Apostle but have a few qualms, too. Can't find a dedicated discussion thread.

March 25:

As with all Coen brothers films, I admired A Serious Man more than I liked it. Great discussion going on over here.

April 17:

Watching The House is Black I felt a small rush of pride for this forum and for the Top 100. A poetic doc/fiction-hybrid short film about an Iranian leper colony, made in 1962 by a 20-something feminist Persian poet, that quotes liberally (and beautifully) from the Quran? Awesome.

May 21:

Some thoughts on The Song of Bernadette here.

June 7:

Some thoughts on The Return here.

Edited by Darren H

This will be fun, but I have one request. Can we make this thread dynamic? Everyone gets one post, and updates their thoughts on films in their post.

To See:

51. Spirit of the Beehive, The ("El espíritu de la colmena"), 1973, Víctor Erice

59. Faust, 1926, F.W. Murnau

60. Fanny and Alexander ("Fanny och Alexander"), 1982, Ingmar Bergman

71. Autumn Afternoon, An (“Sanma no aji”), 1962, Yasujiro Ozu

76. Becket, 1964, Peter Glenville

78. Eureka, 2000, Shinji Aoyama

89. Ushpizin ("The Guests"), 2004, Giddi Dar

90. Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher, 2005, David Di Sabatino

92. Son of Man, 2006, Mark Dornford-May

To Revisit:

7. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans,1927, F.W. Murnau

12. Wings of Desire ("Der Himmel über Berlin”), 1987, Wim Wenders

18. Floating Weeds ("Ukigusa"), 1959, Yasujiro Ozu

46. M, 1931, Fritz Lang

63. Trial of Joan of Arc, The ("Proces de Jeanne d'Arc"), 1962, Robert Bresson

73. Tender Mercies, 1983, Bruce Beresford

Edited by M. Leary

Hadn't seen at voting time:

9. Early Summer ("Bakushû"), 1951, Yasujiro Ozu (As much as I admire Ozu's control and the pacing of his stories, they tend to fade/blend together after I watch them)

17. Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, Apu Sansar), 1955/56/59, Satyajit Ray

26. Still Life ("Sanxia haoren"), 2006, Zhang Ke Jia

34. Close-Up ("Nema-ye Nazdik"), 1990, Abbas Kiarostami (Kiarostami has had a high learning curve for me, but the more I start to "get" him, the more impressed I am. Also, now I need to see The Cyclist)

37. Playtime, 1967, Jacques Tati

40. House is Black,The (Khaneh siah ast), 1964, Forugh Farrokhzad

41. Summer / The Green Ray ("Le Rayon vert"), 1986, Eric Rohmer

47. Late Spring ("Banshun"), 1972, Yasujiro Osu

50. Cyclist, The ("Bicycleran"), 1987, Mohsen Makhmalbaf (Reminded me of Balthasar quite a bit; and Passion of the Christ, in that there was a dramatic central event with almost no character development to introduce it.)

52. Cries and Whispers, 1973, Ingmar Bergman

53. My Life to Live ("Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux"), 1962, Jean-Luc Godard

55. Flowers of St. Francis ("Francesco, Guillare de Dio"), 1950, Roberto Rossellini

62. Moment of Innocence, A ("Nun va Goldoon"), 1997, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

66. By Brakhage: An Anthology, 2003, Stan Brakhage

70. Derzu Uzala, 1975, Akira Kurosawa

77. Black Narcissus, 1947, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger

79. Meshes in the Afternoon, 1943, Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid (Um, okay.)

80. Open City ("Roma, citta apera"), 1945, Roberto Rossellini (A powerful film. I was also surprised to learn that Fellini worked on the screenplay.)

87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog

90. Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher, 2005, David Di Sabatino

93. Virgin Spring, The ("Jungfrukallan"), 1960, Ingmar Bergman

94. In Praise of Love ("Éloge de l'amour"), 2001, Jean-Luc Godard

97. M. Hulot's Holiday("Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot"), 1953, Jacques Tati

100. Song of Bernadette, 1943, Henry King

Should watch again:

3. Babette’s Feast (“Babettes Gaestebud”), 1987, Gabriel Axel

11. Diary of a Country Priest, The("Le Journal D'un Cure De Campagne"), 1951, Robert Bresson

13. Seventh Seal, The ("Det Sjunde Inseglet"), 1957, Ingmar Bergman

29. Man Escaped, A ("Un condamne a mort s'est eschappe ou Le vent soufflé ou il veut"), 1956, Robert Bresson

35. Wild Strawberries ("Smultronstallet"), 1957, Ingmar Bergman

48. Killer of Sheep, 1977, Charles Burnett

57. Wind Will Carry Us, The ("Bad ma ra khaha bord"), 1999, Abbas Kiarostami

72. Heartbeat Detector ("La question humaine"), 2007, Nicolas Klotz

74. Summer Hours ("L'heure d'été"), 2008, Olivier Assayas

75. Rashômon, 1950, Akira Kurosawa

86. Sacrifice, The ("Offret-Sacrificatio"), 1986, Andrei Tarkovsky

Edited by tyler1984

This will be fun, but I have one request. Can we make this thread dynamic? Everyone gets one post, and updates their thoughts on films in their post.

Sounds like a plan.

To revisit:

• MAGNOLIA
  • THE NEW WORLD
  • ORDET
  • SOLARIS
  • SUNRISE: A SONG OF TWO HUMANS
  • THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY

To see:
  • AU HASARD BALTHAZAR
  • BEAU TRAVAIL
  • THE BURMESE HARP
  • BY BRAKHAGE: AN ANTHOLOGY
  • CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
  • DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST
  • FAUST
  • FLOATING WEEDS
  • FRISBEE: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF A HIPPIE PREACHER
  • THE GUESTS
  • KILLER OF SHEEP
  • THE ISLAND
  • LORNA'S SILENCE
  • A MAN ESCAPED
  • MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON
  • A MOMENT OF INNOCENCE
  • MUNYURANGABO
  • PARIS, TEXAS
  • PICKPOCKET
  • PLAYTIME
  • PONETTE
  • ROSETTA
  • THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE
  • STROSZEK
  • SUMMER HOURS
  • SUMMER / THE GREEN RAY
  • SYNDROMES AND A CENTURY
  • THE TRIAL OF JOAN OF ARC
  • YI-YI: A ONE AND A TWO

Edited by Ryan H.

This list is actually a bit intimidating for me, so while I'm going to be intentional about trying to view (and re-view) movies from it, I'm going to abstain from making a very grand plan to do so. For the moment, I have A Serious Man on DVD and my roommates have expressed an interest in seeing it, so we'll probably watch it sometime this next week. I also have the Three Color trilogy on DVD, and while Red and White are pretty clear in my mind, I don't remember much about Blue. I may try to rewatch that this month.

So, my current ambition:

• A Serious Man
  • Three Colors: Blue (re-viewing)

I'll make a record of my slow, halting progress toward catching up with all these:

7. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans,1927, F.W. Murnau (a masterful work, and very touching)

8. Andrei Rublev (“Andrey Rublyov"), 1969, Andrei Tarkovsky

9. Early Summer ("Bakushû"), 1951, Yasujiro Ozu

10. Gospel According to Matthew, The ("Il vangelo second Matteo, 1964, Pier Paolo Pasolini

16. Mirror, The ("Zerkalo"), 1975, Andrei Tarkovsky

17. Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, Apu Sansar), 1955/56/59, Satyajit Ray

18. Floating Weeds ("Ukigusa"), 1959, Yasujiro Ozu

20. Burmese Harp, The, 1956, Kon Ichikawa

21. Tokyo Story ("Tokyo monogatari"), 1953, Yasujiro Ozu

23. My Night at Maud's ("Ma nuit chez Maud"), 1969, Eric Rohmer (Interesting philosophical difference between intellect and spiritual attraction to women, a moral quandry done believeably, beautifully filmed, but I couldn't quite connect emotionally. This is my first exposure to Rohmer, though, so I need to learn his cinematic language better)

25. Nostalghia, 1983, Andrei Tarkovsky

26. Still Life ("Sanxia haoren"), 2006, Zhang Ke Jia (A moving and tragic look at personal and cultural loss)

28. Bicycle Thief, The (“Ladri di biciclette”), 1948, Vittorio De Sica (Moving depiction of father and son in the midst of worrying about an uncertain future)

30. Stalker, 1979, Andrei Tarkovsky

31. Man for All Seasons, A, 1966, Fred Zinnemann

34. Close-Up ("Nema-ye Nazdik"), 1990, Abbas Kiarostami

35. Wild Strawberries ("Smultronstallet"), 1957, Ingmar Bergman (Of all the films I've seen about an old man looking back at his life, I think this is the most thought-provoking and artful. Very impressive work.)

36. Days of Heaven, 1978, Terrence Malick (gorgeous film, I wish I could have seen this in a theater)

37. Playtime, 1967, Jacques Tati (The title is appropriate, as the director is "playing" with the concepts of cinematic form and narrative, with some brilliant sight gags. Granted, two hours of this kind of thing gets old after a while, but the restaurant scene is a lot of fun)

38. Winter Light, 1963, Ingmar Bergman

39. Through a Glass Darkly ("Såsom i en spegel"), 1961, Ingmar Bergman

40. House is Black,The (Khaneh siah ast), 1964, Forugh Farrokhzad (Moving, a depth to its respect for humanity and religion)

42. Day of Wrath (“Vredens dag”), 1943, Carl Theodor Dreyer

46. M, 1931, Fritz Lang

48. Killer of Sheep, 1977, Charles Burnett (Moments of cinematic beauty shine through a student film of everyday life in a particular community)

49. Solaris ("Solyaris"), 1972, Andrei Tarkovsky

50. Cyclist, The ("Bicycleran"), 1987, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

51. Spirit of the Beehive, The ("El espíritu de la colmena"), 1973, Víctor Erice

53. My Life to Live ("Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux"), 1962, Jean-Luc Godard

56. Ponette, 1996, Jacques Doillon

64. Beau travail, 1999, Claire Denis (my first Denis film, it took me long enough to get from Netflix, but a beautifully shot look at duty verses freedom, and being trapped in duty to the detriment of being able to be human)

65. After Life (“Wandafuru raifu”), 1999, Hirokazu Koreeda

77. Black Narcissus, 1947, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger (gorgeous in its use of Technicolor)

79. Meshes in the Afternoon, 1943, Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid (groundbreaking in its time and cultural context, striking imagery, and its symbolism isn't too obtuse for someone like me to understand)

83. Yi Yi: A One and a Two ("Yi Yi"), 2000, Edward Yang

87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog

89. Ushpizin ("The Guests"), 2004, Giddi Dar (A lovely little gem of a film, a beautiful look into Othordox Jewish culture and characters I learned to care about; the respect given to rabbis here makes an interesting contract with the more cynical view of rabbis shown in "A Serious Man)

91. Goodbye to the Children ("Au Revoir, Les Enfants"), 1987, Louis Malle

93. Virgin Spring, The ("Jungfrukallan"), 1960, Ingmar Bergman

97. M. Hulot's Holiday("Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot"), 1953, Jacques Tati (Nothing deep, an enjoyable light slapstick, ends with a bang)

Edited by Crow

Great idea, Darren. I'll chime in for my reactions on these 15 as I get to them.

18. Floating Weeds ("Ukigusa"), 1959, Yasujiro Ozu (Seen: 3/25/10, Thoughts)

20. Burmese Harp, The, 1956, Kon Ichikawa (Seen: 3/26/10, Thoughts)

24. Into Great Silence ("Le grand silence"), 2005, Philip Gröning

33. Island, The ("Ostrov"), 2006, Pavel Lungin (Seen: 7/11/10)

41. Summer / The Green Ray ("Le Rayon vert"), 1986, Eric Rohmer (Seen: 6/20/10)

79. Meshes of the Afternoon, 1943, Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid (Seen: 3/5/10, Thoughts)

87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog (Seen: 5/30/10, Thoughts)

90. Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher, 2005, David Di Sabatin (Seen: 7/23/10)

92. Son of Man, 2006, Mark Dornford-May (Seen: 3/28/10, Thoughts)

97. M. Hulot's Holiday("Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot"), 1953, Jacques Tati (Seen: 11/6/10, Thoughts)

100. Song of Bernadette, 1943, Henry King (Seen: 5/9/10, Thoughts)

Edited by John

First, an admission: I don't remember how many Ozu films were nominated, but if Early Summer was the only one of Ozu's films with seasons in the titles to be nominated, I may have inadvertently been responsible for its high placement on the list. I thought it was another Ozu film (!), one I saw a few years ago at the Virginia Film Festival. I still haven't figured out which film that one was at the festival (the lineups are no longer posted online), but it was in color. So, when I grabbed the Early Summer DVD to "rewatch" it and discovered it's in black and white, I realized my mistake.

Here's the good news. Unlike Stef, who's posted somewhere on the board that our high-ranking Ozu film was putting him to sleep, I was completely absorbed by this film and think I may prefer it to any of the other 3 Ozu films I have seen. It started slow, but soon those medium shots of characters directly addressing the camera started to pile up, and I love those shots. The clarity of the images is wonderful -- I wonder if Criterion's print is superior to all others that are, or have been, available on home video. Probably.

I'm comfortable with the rating I gave this film, even if I'd never seen it at the time I rated it. :)

P.S.: In my search for a thread on this film, I found MLeary's summary of the film for the Top 100, and it's excellent. I have a lot to learn about Ozu -- it would help if I watched his films more frequently than once every several years, at which point I'm starting from scratch in trying to remember technique, themes, etc.

Edited by Christian

Really need to revisit:
96. New World, The, 2005, Terrence Malick (Watched the extended cut. LOVED IT. Not just spiritually significant, not just one of the best films of the decade, but this has jumped head and shoulders into my all-time favourites pile. My cup runneth over.)

Begun, but never finished thanks to time constraints/disc problems:

2. Decalogue, The ("Dekalog"), 1987, Krzysztof Kieslowski
10. Gospel According to Matthew, The ("Il vangelo second Matteo, 1964, Pier Paolo Pasolini
14. To Live ("Ikiru"), 1952, Akira Kurosawa
24. Into Great Silence ("Le grand silence"), 2005, Philip Gröning
30. Stalker, 1979, Andrei Tarkovsky
84. Pickpocket, 1959, Robert Bresson

To see:

1. Word, The ("Ordet"), 1955, Carl Theodor Dreyer
5. Son, The ("Le Fils"), 2002, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne
7. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans,1927, F.W. Murnau
8. Andrei Rublev (“Andrey Rublyov"), 1969, Andrei Tarkovsky

9. Early Summer ("Bakushû"), 1951, Yasujiro Ozu
11. Diary of a Country Priest, The("Le Journal D'un Cure De Campagne"), 1951, Robert Bresson
12. Wings of Desire ("Der Himmel über Berlin”), 1987, Wim Wenders
13. Seventh Seal, The ("Det Sjunde Inseglet"), 1957, Ingmar Bergman
15. Three Colors Trilogy ("Trois couleurs"), 1993, 1994, 1994, Kryzysztof Kieslowski
16. Mirror, The ("Zerkalo"), 1975, Andrei Tarkovsky

19. Munyurangabo, 2007, Lee Isaac Chung
20. Burmese Harp, The, 1956, Kon Ichikawa
21. Tokyo Story ("Tokyo monogatari"), 1953, Yasujiro Ozu
22. Serious Man, A, 2009, Ethan and Joel Coen (That final shot is really special.)
23. My Night at Maud's ("Ma nuit chez Maud"), 1969, Eric Rohmer
26. Still Life ("Sanxia haoren"), 2006, Zhang Ke Jia
27. Child, The ("L'Enfant"), 2005, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
29. Man Escaped, A ("Un condamne a mort s'est eschappe ou Le vent soufflé ou il veut"), 1956, Robert Bresson
33. Island, The ("Ostrov"), 2006, Pavel Lungin
35. Wild Strawberries ("Smultronstallet"), 1957, Ingmar Bergman
36. Days of Heaven, 1978, Terrence Malick (Luxurious experience, though something about the voice doing the voice-over annoyed me. Not sure why. Looking forward to repeat viewings.)
38. Winter Light, 1963, Ingmar Bergman
39. Through a Glass Darkly ("Såsom i en spegel"), 1961, Ingmar Bergma
n
40. House is Black,The (Khaneh siah ast), 1964, Forugh Farrokhzad
42. Day of Wrath (“Vredens dag”), 1943, Carl Theodor Dreyer

44. Promesse, La, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne
48. Killer of Sheep, 1977, Charles Burnett (Generally love its aesthetic, but disc problems forced us to skip some moments, so evaluation as a whole is difficult. Letting it stew.)
49. Solaris ("Solyaris"), 1972, Andrei Tarkovsky
50. Cyclist, The ("Bicycleran"), 1987, Mohsen Makhmalbaf
54. Straight Story, The, 1999, David Lynch
55. Flowers of St. Francis ("Francesco, Guillare de Dio"), 1950, Roberto Rossellini
57. Wind Will Carry Us, The ("Bad ma ra khaha bord"), 1999, Abbas Kiarostami
58. Magnolia, 1999, Paul Thomas Anderson
61. Paris, Texas, 1984, Wim Wenders
64. Beau travail, 1999, Claire Denis
67. Lorna's Silence ("Le silence de Lorna"), 2008, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
80. Open City ("Roma, citta apera"), 1945, Roberto Rossellini
81. Syndromes and a Century ("Sang sattawat"), 2006, Apichatpong Weerasethakul
82. Rosetta, 1999, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne
83. Yi Yi: A One and a Two ("Yi Yi"), 2000, Edward Yang
85. Punch-Drunk Love, 2002, Paul Thomas Anderson
87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog (Haunting, somewhat more warm Herzog has many a sublime moment - the doctor comforting a newborn springs instantly to mind - and a stunning finale. I'd put it right up there below Aguirre)
88. Jesus of Montreal ("Jesus De Montreal"), 1989, Denys Arcand
91. Goodbye to the Children ("Au Revoir, Les Enfants"), 1987, Louis Malle
95. Crimes and Misdemeanors, 1989, Woody Allen
98. Return, The (Vozvrashchenie), 2003, Andrei Zvyagintsev
99. Breaking the Waves, 1996, Lars von Trier

Edited by Nathan Douglas

I don't know if I'll even see twenty of these in the next year. I know I want to see Ushpizin and Summer Hours for certain, so I'll queue them up. But there are just too many good films to see... and I've already got a couple hundred waiting in my queue...

Also, I'm using the word happyfunpants to make this a searchable thread, unless we decide to sticky it. Actually, we should sticky this thread if we're only editing into already-posted posts.

TO REVISIT:

22. A Serious Man, 2009, Ethan and Joel Coen

32. The Apostle, 1997, Robert Duvall

33. Ostrov, 2006, Pavel Lungin - Would like to see this one again just for fun.

35. Wild Strawberries, 1957, Ingmar Bergman

40. The House is Black, (Khaneh siah ast), 1964, Forugh Farrokhzad

46. M, 1931, Fritz Lang

49. Solaris, 1972, Andrei Tarkovsky - When I need a good night's sleep I'll revisit this.

50. The Cyclist, ("Bicycleran"), 1987, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

55. Flowers of St. Francis, 1950, Roberto Rossellini

57. The Wind Will Carry Us, 1999, Abbas Kiarostami

69. Chariots of Fire, 1982, Hugh Hudson

82. Rosetta, 1999, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne - Would love to see this again but I fear it's not possible.

91. Au Revoir, Les Enfants, 1987, Louis Malle

95. Crimes and Misdemeanors, 1989, Woody Allen

96. The New World, 2005, Terrence Malick - I want to see this again thinking of how Jeffrey described it in his book.

98. The Return, 2003, Andrei Zvyagintsev - Very familiar with, would love to watch it a few more times.

99. Breaking the Waves, 1996, Lars von Trier - Very familiar with. Not sure if I still feel the same as when I was a kid.

TO SEE:

9. Early Summer ("Bakushû"), 1951, Yasujiro Ozu - Will try to rewatch some other time, this time it just was not working out. Most of what I saw I liked, but, three times asleep and you're back to Netflix, a-sucka.

10. The Gospel According to Matthew, 1964, Pier Paolo Pasolini

14. Ikiru, 1952, Akira Kurosawa

16. The Mirror, 1975, Andrei Tarkovsky

17. Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, Apu Sansar), 1955/56/59, Satyajit Ray - Isn't this one impossible to see?

18. Floating Weeds, 1959, Yasujiro Ozu

19. Munyurangabo, 2007, Lee Isaac Chung

20. The Burmese Harp, 1956, Kon Ichikawa

21. Tokyo Story, 1953, Yasujiro Ozu - Ugh. How'd this shoot-at-the-knees/kowtow bower-bore end up on the list more than once?

23. My Night at Maud's, 1969, Eric Rohmer

24. Into Great Silence, 2005, Philip Gröning

26. Still Life, 2006, Zhang Ke Jia

28. The Bicycle Thief, 1948, Vittorio De Sica

30. Stalker, 1979, Andrei Tarkovsky - Wrote a bit about it Here.

31. A Man for All Seasons, 1966, Fred Zinnemann

36. Days of Heaven, 1978, Terrence Malick - Tried some of it, saw about half, commented on it in the thread, probably need to aim to try the Criterion version before deciding it is not for me.

43. Silent Light, 2007, Carlos Reygadas... It's a nice film, but I'll be voting it down the list next year.

47. Late Spring ("Banshun"), 1972, Yasujiro Osu - Why I outta...

48. Killer of Sheep, 1977, Charles Burnett

51. The Spirit of the Beehive, ("El espíritu de la colmena"), 1973, Víctor Erice

54. The Straight Story, 1999, David Lynch

61. Paris, Texas, 1984, Wim Wenders

62. A Moment of Innocence, 1997, Mohsen Makhmalbaf

63. The Trial of Joan of Arc, 1962, Robert Bresson

64. Beau travail, 1999, Claire Denis - It's been at the top of my Netflix queue for close to two months now. Why won't they send it?...

65. After Life, 1999, Hirokazu Koreeda

71. An Autumn Afternoon, 1962, Yasujiro Ozu - What happened to the "three's the limit" rule?!?

72. Heartbeat Detector, 2007, Nicolas Klotz

74. Summer Hours, 2008, Olivier Assayas - Good film. Not worthy of the Top 100 though.

79. Meshes in the Afternoon, 1943, Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid

80. Open City ("Roma, citta apera"), 1945, Roberto Rossellini

81. Syndromes and a Century, 2006, Apichatpong Weerasethakul

84. Pickpocket, 1959, Robert Bresson

87. Stroszek, 1977, Werner Herzog - Unbelievable film. Loved it. Loved Bruno S. Loved the dancing chicken. Recorded thoughts in the dedicated A&F thread.

88. Jesus of Montreal, 1989, Denys Arcand - Best Passion Play Ever.

89. Ushpizin, 2004, Giddi Dar

93. The Virgin Spring, 1960. Wow. I think I'll need to start a thread.

94. In Praise of Love, 2001, Jean-Luc Godard - Eek! 60s Godard is OK, but if this is anything like Notre Musique I think I'd rather put staples in my chest. ------> I've now tried it quite a few times, have given up on making it through and honestly feel its presence on the Top 100 needs to be defended at this point.

97. M. Hulot's Holiday, 1953, Jacques Tati

100. Song of Bernadette, 1943, Henry King ---- I can't tell you how in love I am with this one... Here's the Link to my A&F/Filmsweep reaction.

Edited by Persona

The Burmese Harp was my first Kon Ichikawa film, and I'm now eager to track down more. Of course, it's very effective as a "the horror, the horror" kind of anti-war film (and I'm all for an arts and faith list including anti-war films), but I was more struck by Ichikawa's treatment of Japan's shame and guilt.

Darren, if you want to see Ichikawa do "the horror, the horror," you should see Fires on the Plain. Many critics prefer it to The Burmese Harp precisely because The Burmese Harp doesn't really go all out on "the horror, the horror" the way Fires on the Plaindoes. I prefer The Burmese Harp, which I see as being less about the horror of war, or of evil in general, than about the challenge of living humanely in evil circumstances. (Also I prefer the openly Buddhist milieu of The Burmese Harp to the excised Christianity of Fires on the Plain.)

I prefer The Burmese Harp, which I see as being less about the horror of war, or of evil in general, than about the challenge of living humanely in evil circumstances.

Yeah, me too.

Can we sticky this thread please? And we might want to save responses to specific comments here for the proper thread itself. If there is no thread on a film that's commented on, and you'd like to comment, how about starting one in the Film Section?

If you start one, please include the director's name and any actors or such that would make it more searchable for others in the future.

Edited by Persona

My 3-year-old son woke up, again, at 3 in the morning, and this time I couldn't get back to sleep. So here it is, 4:36 a.m. on the Lord's Day, the only day of the week I abstain from movie-watching, and I'm awake. I've popped in the DVD of Son of Man, which I discovered this week (say it with me!) at the library. :) So far, so good, although I'm only 15 minutes into it.

I didn't make the connection until seeing the reference atop the DVD cover that director Mark Danford-May also directed U Carmen E-Khayletisha, the thread for which never took off. I haven't seen that film since my original viewing, which was a very positive experience, and am delighted to discover the connection with this film on our Top 100 list.

Edited by Christian