Peter T Chattaway

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

I'm betting this rumor is way off-base. Nolan has seemed very touchy when Ledger has been brought up in the past, very concerned about being respectful, and I doubt he'd do something as tacky as this.

Nolan is denying that Ledger will appear in the film:

Nolan, bearded and affable, explained that he’s scrambling to finish the script for The Dark Knight Rises, his third Batman movie, which he’s writing in collaboration with his brother Jonathan, mostly from his oceanfront abode in the Paradise Cove trailer park in Malibu..The script is due in January for a July release. But he wouldn’t say what the story’s about or who the villain is, other than to confirm that Inception’s Tom Hardy will play “a key role, not saying good or bad,” and to shoot down reports that he’ll resurrect The Joker by including unused footage of Heath Ledger’s performance in the previous chapter. “That’s all wrong,” said the writer-director, who’s also producing the next Superman movie, for Zack Snyder to direct.

EXCLUSIVE: Shortlist of Actresses Vying for Next Batman Film

Christopher Nolan is looking at some of Hollywood's leading actresses -- as well as a few emerging talents -- for major female roles in The Dark Knight Rises, his next Batman film.

Sources tell Heat Vision that Keira Knightley, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Biel (pictured, top left) are due to test for roles in the Warner Bros. superhero tentpole in the next two weeks. Also testing are relative newcomers Kate Mara (top right) and Charlotte Riley (bottom left). Hot British actress Gemma Arterton (bottom right) has also scheduled to test but, as Heat Vision first reported last week, Arterton just landed the female lead in Paramount's Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters and might now have scheduling issues.

Dark Knight Rises needs to fill two big female roles, a villain and a love interest. Sources say one character is Talia, the daughter of villain Ra's Al Ghul, who was portrayed by Liam Neeson in Nolan's first Gotham-set crime pic Batman Begins. In the comic books, Talia is both Batman's lover and antagonist, ultimately siring his alter ego Bruce Wayne's son. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, January 11

Sonofagun. Catwoman = Superlame.

And Bane. Hmm. Now I've got to keep my DC Venom in the movies separated from my Marvel Venom in the movies.

The drug addiction aspect could be cool, though.

Nah. She's one of the best supporting characters in the Batman mythos, and the only love interest for Batman that's really worth anything.

I agree with Ryan. If you think Catwoman is lame, you aren't really qualified to comment on Batman news. ;)

I love how the press release says Hathaway is playing "Selina Kyle", thus leaving it to all the in-the-know reporters to suss out that she has basically been cast as Catwoman. (Note how the Deadline.com headline was CHANGED; the original headline, preserved in the URL, said "Anne Hathaway Wins Selina Kyle Role..." but the current headline says "Anne Hathaway Reviving Catwoman...".)

It's all very reminiscent of how, on the last film, they announced that Aaron Eckhart was playing "Harvey Dent", and then all the bloggers began debating whether Dent's transformation into Two-Face would be incorporated into that film or put off until another sequel. (In theory, you might expect to see the same kind of debate around Selina Kyle, except it's been pretty clear from everything that Nolan and others have said that this film will be the end of the trilogy -- so it's either now or never. And if never, then why put Selina Kyle in the movie in the first place?)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Nah. She's one of the best supporting characters in the Batman mythos, and the only love interest for Batman that's really worth anything.

I agree with Ryan. If you think Catwoman is lame, you aren't really qualified to comment on Batman news. ;)

Even the name Catwoman is lame. All they could think of was something that rhymed with "bat" but was made for a woman?

Every film version of Catwoman has been awful.

This is an awful idea for a character for Batman when there are hundreds of better ideas out there.

Edited by Persona

Three words, Stef: Batman: Year One.

Every film version of Catwoman has been awful.

So has every film version of Batman, until now.

This is an awful idea for a character for Batman when there are hundreds of better ideas out there.

No, Catwoman is absolutely integral to the Batman mythology, very, very close to the center.

waitaminnit - i thought halle berry was catwoman?

I can see Anne Hathaway as Catwoman - but she'd have to be a different kind of Catwoman than Berry, Pfieffer, Newmar, et al.

I can see Anne Hathaway as Catwoman - but she'd have to be a different kind of Catwoman than Berry, Pfieffer, Newmar, et al.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing, I think.

CrimsonLine wrote:

: I can see Anne Hathaway as Catwoman - but she'd have to be a different kind of Catwoman than Berry, Pfieffer, Newmar, et al.

Exactly. This goes back to what I said elsewhere at A&F the other day about the pointlessness of fanboys trying to "cast" a character when we don't even know what the filmmakers plan on doing with the character. (And in the case of characters like Catwoman, who are older than my parents, there have been so many iterations of the character that you'd still have to ask "WHICH Catwoman?" even if we didn't have a script in hand.)

BTW, it's interesting, given the vintage-ness of most of Nolan's villains, to see that his next film will include a supervillain like Bane, who made his first comic-book appearance in 1993 (and was quickly ruined, in the eyes of some, by being incorporated into the last Joel Schumacher film in 1997). I stopped collecting comics sometime in the mid-'90s, but I probably still have the original issues in which Bane was introduced -- I wonder what they'll be worth over the next year and a half?

Anyway, what's interesting about Bane is that, like the comic-book version of Ra's al Ghul, he was smart enough to figure out that Batman and Bruce Wayne are the same person -- so if Ra's' daughter Talia IS a part of this movie, then that might give them a point of contact here. Even more notable, though, is that Bane actually broke Batman's back over his knee -- which I could easily see being incorporated into some sort of third-chapter, end-of-the-trilogy storyline here.

Even more notable, though, is that Bane actually broke Batman's back over his knee -- which I could easily see being incorporated into some sort of third-chapter, end-of-the-trilogy storyline here.

If Nolan does that, I will hate him forever. The Dark Knight will go sour in my mouth. We need a triumphant ending here.

BTW, it's interesting, given the vintage-ness of most of Nolan's villains, to see that his next film will include a supervillain like Bane, who made his first comic-book appearance in 1993 (and was quickly ruined, in the eyes of some, by being incorporated into the last Joel Schumacher film in 1997).

Bane was the best part of that movie. He didn't have any terrible dialogue to say.

And while we're on the subject, here's more than you ever wanted to know about Bane, courtesy of IO9.

Edited by Tyler

Even more notable, though, is that Bane actually broke Batman's back over his knee -- which I could easily see being incorporated into some sort of third-chapter, end-of-the-trilogy storyline here.

If Nolan does that, I will hate him forever. The Dark Knight will go sour in my mouth. We need a triumphant ending here.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if back-breaking were incorporated somehow in the movie, but not in the third chapter.

Bane breaks his back in act 2...

Moments later Batman pulls out a vial.

Batman (husky voice): Luckily, I have me patented Bat Back Repair Potion that Alfred cooked up!

Drinks potion.

Batman (husky voice): There! All better!

Jumps up and runs away.

Anyway, what's interesting about Bane is that, like the comic-book version of Ra's al Ghul, he was smart enough to figure out that Batman and Bruce Wayne are the same person -- so if Ra's' daughter Talia IS a part of this movie, then that might give them a point of contact here. Even more notable, though, is that Bane actually broke Batman's back over his knee -- which I could easily see being incorporated into some sort of third-chapter, end-of-the-trilogy storyline here.

I agree, that's the first thing I thought of when I heard that he was going to be in movie. If Nolan really doesn't want to make any more Batman movies after this, as he's indicated more than once, this would be one way of accomplishing it without killing off the character. Of course, the Bane story arc ends with Batman recovering from the broken back to defeat Bane, so I guess it doesn't shut the door completely.

I suspect that should this truly be Nolan's final Batfam, I doubt it would mean anything to the franchise if Nolan went as far as to kill Batman. I am pretty sure they are already planning to try and get a new visionary director to start the franchise "anew".

opus wrote:

: Agreed. I wouldn't mind if back-breaking were incorporated somehow in the movie, but not in the third chapter.

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I was thinking of the film as a whole as the "third chapter" in the trilogy. I imagine some sort of resurrection would be possible, but it might very well spell the end of Batman AS Batman, a la the closing scenes in The Dark Knight Returns (which, heh, I notice is the title that some people have already begun using for this movie).

We need a triumphant ending here.

Of a sort, yes. Batman's crusade needs to be affirmed, not undermined. But I wouldn't be surprised if THE DARK KNIGHT RISES ends with the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman in some way, shape, or form.

Regarding Hathaway as Catwoman, I can somewhat see it. If I'm honest, I find Hathaway to be a very grating, annoying personality in pretty much everything she does. But I do see how she might fit Nolan's conception for the part, at least partially; THE LONG HALLOWEEN--Nolan's inspiration for this kind of Batman--makes a good deal of Catwoman's need for independence, her need for control. I can see Hathaway delivering on that score. But at the same time, a big part of the Catwoman character is her brazen, tangible sexuality, and that's been true of pretty much all of the different versions of the character. It's one of the things that makes her such an effective foil for Batman, who tends to be so stoic. I'm not sure I can see Hathaway really deliver on that score. I've seen her do cute, but I've never seen her give a performance where I felt overwhelming, raw sexual charisma. But I'm not saying she can't, just that she hasn't done so to date.

Of a sort, yes. Batman's crusade needs to be affirmed, not undermined. But I wouldn't be surprised if THE DARK KNIGHT RISES ends with the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman in some way, shape, or form.

No no, I would totally accept that. A triumphant retirement. Though how it would be managed, given the brevity of his career to date, is a puzzle. Does the Joker only have a single spree in him? Really?

But at the same time, a big part of the Catwoman character is her brazen, tangible sexuality, and that's been true of pretty much all of the different versions of the character. It's one of the things that makes her such an effective foil for Batman, who tends to be so stoic. I'm not sure I can see Hathaway really deliver on that score. I've seen her do cute, but I've never seen her give a performance where I felt overwhelming, raw sexual charisma. But I'm not saying she can't, just that she hasn't done so to date.

A valid concern.

No no, I would totally accept that. A triumphant retirement. Though how it would be managed, given the brevity of his career to date, is a puzzle. Does the Joker only have a single spree in him? Really?

We'll find out in David Fincher's Batman Reborn.