Peter T Chattaway

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Catwoman's interesting, simply because she's had so many interpretations over the years. Love interest, anti-hero, straight up villain, 'noble thief', even batman's wife with whom he had a superhero daughter.

I'm curious how much of this will hearken back to her golden age roots, when she didn't even have a costume. But I think ultimately what makes Selina fascinating is that she has the power both to push Batman to the edge: compromising his pursuit of justice because of his feelings for her, while also holding out hope that he might have a life someday after Batman. After the mental hell he suffered losing the girl in the second movie, perhaps this third, final chapter will use his budding relationship with Selina to give us hope that Batman's ultimate fate isn't and dark lonely one.

As for Bane, a lot of people online are posting pics of Tom Hardy in Bronson.

Bane is (putting aside the image of him the public who saw in BnR) either the epitome of bad, overly violent and 'extreme' 90s villains or, more positively, he's the "anti-batman," a villain that combines intelligence and strength and pursues criminal endeavors in ways few of batman's foes can. Come to think of it, most Batman villains aren't known as physical threats to him. Whatever mind games, traps, and armies of henchmen the Joker or Riddler puts up, we know once Batman gets his hands on the villain, it's pretty much over. Bane however, can match Batman in a fight. Maybe that points to the direction Nolan is going with the flick? A theme throughout the films is how far Batman is willing to go to fight the criminal element. In Bane, he faces someone he can't easily out think or out punch, and who is willing to fight extremely dirty, symbolized by artificially enhancing himself with venom; he's like a criminal Barry Bonds, 'cheating' to break the bat like Bonds did to 'break' Hank Arron. Will he feel pushed to go to lengths even the Joker didn't require?

Edited by Evan Day

Jeff Jensen @ Entertainment Weekly:

2. Will Selina Kyle actually appear as Catwoman in the movie?
Selina Kyle is Catwoman’s alter-ego. The press release issued by Nolan, however, did not mention the word “Catwoman” and did not say if Hathaway’s Kyle will be suiting up as the sexy feline-themed fiend in the film. Let’s note that in her first appearance in the Batman comics, Selina Kyle didn’t call herself Catwoman or even wear an outfit or mask. She was a beautiful, ingenious jewel thief/cat burglar who called herself “The Cat.” Wikipedia’s entry on Kyle includes a page from her comic book debut;
(I want to hear Christian Bale give
that
line reading.) Other depictions of Catwoman in the comics have de-emphasized her overt Catwomanishness and her villainy. In recent years, she’s often been an ally to Batman, if a rather morally ambiguous one. My theory: I think Nolan intends to distinguish his “Catwoman” from the long, storied line of previous versions of the character — from Julie Newmar to Eartha Kitt to Michelle Pfeiffer to Halle Berry — by taking her back to the beginning and out of the “Catwoman” guise altogether.

I dearly hope we see Batman doing some real detective work like we see in that linked comic page. Action is fine and all, but these movies have given us precious little in the way of investigation. (Even if we know that Selina Kyle is the Cat/Catwoman/whatever, there's no reason Batman should know, right? And if he figured it out by doing a nice bit of deduction, as opposed to bashing heads or whatever, it would be a welcome change of pace).

A possible note of controversy: Bane in the comics is half latino, on his mother's side, and grew up in a South American prison, hence the lucha libre mask. He's eventually revealed to be half British on his father's side, but I've already seen "racebending" comments on several web sites.

Nice.

But part of me wonders whether or not Nolan's Catwoman will even have a costume. Catwoman's first appearance was without the famous attire, and she went by the name the Cat. I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan has something like that in mind. Maybe she'll wear a catsuit of some kind, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the iconic look.

I'm still mystified as to why Nolan picked Bane, who was always a kinda lousy character and doesn't seem to "fit" the Nolanverse's faux-realism. But we'll see.

I'm still mystified as to why Nolan picked Bane, who was always a kinda lousy character and doesn't seem to "fit" the Nolanverse's faux-realism. But we'll see.

I've read a lot of comments on other sites that a character like Bane, enhanced by a steroid-esque substance, is the only way to have a convincingly physical threat to Batman in the Nolanverse. Most of Batman's villains aren't much of a match in a fight. The exceptions are foes like Clayface, Killer Croc, & Bane. Of these, only Bane seems likely to be adapted into a "realistic" character.

I was watching some of The Dark Knight last night and I was noticing how different the Nolans' Joker differs from the other portrayals of that character that I'm familiar with -- less jokes and wordplay, more malice. So similarly I suspect that prior portrayals of Bane will not limit what they will do with him now.

I've read a lot of comments on other sites that a character like Bane, enhanced by a steroid-esque substance, is the only way to have a convincingly physical threat to Batman in the Nolanverse.

Is it, though? They could easily have gone for a character like David Cain instead.

I've read a lot of comments on other sites that a character like Bane, enhanced by a steroid-esque substance, is the only way to have a convincingly physical threat to Batman in the Nolanverse.

Is it, though? They could easily have gone for a character like David Cain instead.

My brother in law? The Juggler for Jesus? He would love to be in the movie, but I don't know...I mean, what's he going to do? Bounce rubber balls off Christian Bale's chin until he speaks clearly?

Your brother in law is part of Batman's rogues gallery?! Many...the Juggling for Jesus Kingpin of Crime? ;)

Every time I read over this thread and see the name David Cain, I misread it as Dean Cain and think I'm back in the Superman thread. :P

Many...the Juggling for Jesus Kingpin of Crime? ;)

I've heard of juggling tenpins, but never juggling kingpins.

Pax wrote:

: Tyler wrote:

: : Deadline's reporting Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be in the film.

:

: Riddler is obvious . . .

Is it? I dunno. I do recall that there was a rumour last summer -- cited in this very thread! -- about Gordon-Levitt playing the Riddler, but I wouldn't say it was "obvious" that he (or anyone else) has to play that character.

Is it? I dunno. I do recall that there was a rumour last summer -- cited in this very thread! -- about Gordon-Levitt playing the Riddler, but I wouldn't say it was "obvious" that he (or anyone else) has to play that character.

Gordon-Levitt looks at least a bit like Heath Ledger, and the Riddler is a somewhat Jokeresque figure anyway, so one would think having a Gordon-Levitt Riddler would come too close to what Nolan did in The Dark Knight. (Nolan's already denied the Riddler's involvement, anyway, but directors can lie, so I guess it's not set in stone until filming wraps).

I'm hoping for Grayson, myself; Nolan's Dark Knight needs to be redeemed, and since Robin is a kind of lighter echo of Batman (similar family background, yet not quite going into the dark places that the Bat does) I think it could help complete the character-arc by pulling him out of himself, as it were.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:

: I'm hoping for Grayson, myself; Nolan's Dark Knight needs to be redeemed, and since Robin is a kind of lighter echo of Batman (similar family background, yet not quite going into the dark places that the Bat does) I think it could help complete the character-arc by pulling him out of himself, as it were.

Oh wow. But hasn't Christian Bale said there will never be a Robin in any of his Batman films? (Not that the choice is ultimately up to him, of course.)

NBooth wrote:

: I'm hoping for Grayson, myself; Nolan's Dark Knight needs to be redeemed, and since Robin is a kind of lighter echo of Batman (similar family background, yet not quite going into the dark places that the Bat does) I think it could help complete the character-arc by pulling him out of himself, as it were.

Oh wow. But hasn't Christian Bale said there will never be a Robin in any of his Batman films? (Not that the choice is ultimately up to him, of course.)

Besides that, how could anyone live up to Chris O'Donnell's shadow in that role?

"Holey rusted metal, Batman! No, I mean seriously--it's rusted! And it's full of holes!"