Peter T Chattaway

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Well, pretty much the entire first act of Batman Begins took place in Asia, too -- though I forget which country (or whether they even specified one).

I don't read the comics, but is there some sort of precedent for setting a Batman story in an Indian city?

In the comics, Wayne traveled the world as he trained for the part of Batman. I'm not sure, but I think India features as one such stop.

Unless Jodhpur is doubling for some other location, of course. Maybe it will feature in a "brief detour" like Hong Kong did in the last one.

My guess? It plays into the Ra's al Ghul flashback sequences that we're getting.

Photos apparently from the set. Speculation is that they show the Lazarus pit that Ra's al Ghul uses to regenerate his body.

Eh, it could be anything. A deep well/pit (which would work for Ra's al Ghul origin sequences).

Given that Liam Neeson isn't returning in this film (or, if he is, he's denying it pretty strongly and Nolan is trying to pull a fast one), and Nolan doesn't seem too fond of the Lazarus Pit, I doubt we'll be seeing it.

Photos apparently from the set. Speculation is that they show the Lazarus pit that Ra's al Ghul uses to regenerate his body.

The top photo is a pothole in Pittsburgh.

LOL that's a bold thing to say about Batman's face :P

Ryan H. wrote:

: Given that Liam Neeson isn't returning in this film (or, if he is, he's denying it pretty strongly and Nolan is trying to pull a fast one), and Nolan doesn't seem too fond of the Lazarus Pit, I doubt we'll be seeing it.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Nolan included a "nod" or a "wink" to the Pit, just for the fans (not unlike the "What do you want? Yellow spandex?" line in the original X-Men film ... which is kind of interesting, in hindsight, since the upcoming X-Men: First Class really WILL have the yellow spandex!).

'Dark Knight Rises' creates tension between Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are arguably Hollywood’s most high- profile business partners, having shared in the spoils of such blockbusters as “300” and “The Hangover” and the pain of flops like “Jonah Hex” and “Sucker Punch” over the last six years.

But their long-term partnership has come into question as the companies have for the last few months been discussing the possibility of extending their co-financing and production deal, which expires in 2013. That’s in part because they have also been in heated negotiations over working together on one of the industry’s most highly anticipated movies, next summer’s Batman sequel “The Dark Knight Rises,” according to knowledgeable people who declined to be identified because the talks are confidential.

While Legendary was a 50/50 partner on 2008’s “The Dark Knight,” which grossed more than $1 billion worldwide and sold 16 million DVDs, the film financing and production company has for months been trying to secure a similar ownership stake in the sequel. The film, which like the last two Batman pictures will be directed by Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, is expected to cost at least $250 million to produce.

Warner Bros. recently installed movie chief Jeff Robinov has been resistant to again share half the profits, people close to the talks said. A major reason for his reluctance is the studio’s impending loss of its most lucrative wholly owned movie franchise, “Harry Potter,” which ends its run this summer. Robinov is counting on DC Comics superheroes to fill the void left by the boy wizard.

Robinov and Legendary Chairman Thomas Tull recently agreed to collaborate on “Dark Knight Rises,” but are still discussing the terms of their financial arrangement -- most notably whether Legendary will get a smaller-than-50% stake this go-around. . . .

Los Angeles Times, May 12

Story Of The Day: Ben Fritz on WB/Legendary

The first question I always have when I see a story like is, “Who wants this floating into the media?”

In this case, both sides have some upside in this becoming a public issue. From the WB side, it shows that Jeff Robinov is trying to protect his studio’s interest aggressively. On the Legendary side, there is pressure to be put on WB by announcing that the studio (aka Robinov, for the purpose of this article) is trying to screw over their business partner of multiple years. . . .

Is there pretty much a guaranteed $100 million in profit for every $50 million invested in the next Bat movie? Something like that, very roughly. So if WB wants to cut Legendary’s investment in the film to $100 million, it will still be a great return for Legendary. But the more WB shares, in this rare case, the more profit WB doesn’t get.

If you were Paramount, you wouldn’t want a new partner on Transformers as you head into their third movie, would you? Of course not. Nor on Potter 7 (unless the budget was way out of control). But in Legendary’s case, they were there for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, when there wasn’t a guarantee of mega-profits. Getting cut out after taking the risk early on does not make for happy relations. (Frankly, I’m shocked that this wasn’t covered contractually… seems like first right of refusal for the same percentage an investor put in on the prior franchise film would be basic.) . . .

David Poland, May 12

Cullen and Ellis join 'Dark Knight'

Exclusive: Christopher Nolan's longtime casting director John Papsidera must have seen "Apollo 13" recently, as veteran character actors Brett Cullen and Chris Ellis are set to round out the ensemble of Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures' tentpole "The Dark Knight Rises."

Cullen will play a judge, while Ellis will play a priest. . . .

Variety, May 23

Dude! Not only is that not the original source of this rumour -- that would be here -- but the story you linked to even begins by saying: "Keeping with the wishes of Drew McWeeny over at HitFix, we didn’t put the name in the headline or the picture in the image above..."

I ban myself from artsandfaith.com for ten whole minutes.

What led me to the link was a Tweet saying pretty much what I posted here.

Edited by Overstreet

Overstreet wrote:

: What led me to the link was a Tweet saying pretty much what I posted here.

Even so, this just illustrates the need to read what you link to (and, ideally, to follow the provided links back to their source).

: And by the way, the headline of that article has changed.

Well, they've added the word "reportedly", yes.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I'm glad to have given you another opportunity to lecture me. It had been a while, and I've been missing it.

Now, if you're really so concerned about the spoilers, why not make the whole thread safe by agreeing with me to delete all of the posts concerned with this, so nobody stumbles onto it at all? Perhaps this will scrub away the stains of my sin.

Edited by Overstreet

Overstreet wrote:

: I'm glad to have given you another opportunity to lecture me.

The ironic thing is, you've arguably lectured people in the past yourself for defying the wishes of the filmmakers and revealing "spoilers" that you felt should have remained hidden, e.g. here:

I haven't watched the videos. You said yourself that the publicist asked that these images not be photographed, but they're online anyway. Whoever posted them, if Pixar didn't want them to be photographed and shared, then I'd like to see their wishes respected. So I decided not to watch the videos, and thus had no idea what the larger image was from. I thought it might be related to Cars 2.

Whatever the case, if Pixar's publicist requested that nobody photograph the image, seems to me that specific request should have been honored. Perhaps ArtsandFaith.com should show more respect than The Georgia Straight did.

Or here:

Well, I'm glad I saw the film before reading Nathaniel's post, which spells out a couple of moments that I'm very glad surprised me on the screen.

To say nothing of the embargo debates of a few years ago.

I don't particularly care whether this bit of Dark Knight Rises casting constitutes a "spoiler", especially now that a few high-profile sites have blared it in their headlines anyway. I did, however, think it was funny that you gave away the big secret while linking to a website that was at pains to not give it away too early -- and at pains to say that it was doing this to honour the spoiler-sensitive website that broke the news in the first place. Yet another irony, that.

: Now, if you're really so concerned about the spoilers, why not make the whole thread safe by agreeing with me to delete all of the posts concerned with this, so nobody stumbles onto it at all? Perhaps this will scrub away the stains of my sin.

Well, I already spoiler-blocked (or, technically, blacked-out) the post that I quoted. I figured that would suffice. And certainly, I would have posted the link to Hitfix anyway, even if you hadn't posted the link to the blog that quoted Hitfix.

As always, you can delete what you like, of course.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Oh, that's so kind of you, officer. rolleye0014.gif

Edited by Overstreet

Supposedly, this teaser is playing before Green Lantern, at least in some theatres south of the border. But I say "supposedly" because there is an active debate online as to whether it's real or fake. Still, just to be on the safe side ...

Guest Pax

Well, there are certainly no spoilers in that; I'm not sure it was worth posting, but thanks for the thought.

By the way, the teaser trailer has leaked via a pretty poor quality video. Like the teaser trailer for THE DARK KNIGHT, it's kind underwhelming, but you do get to see a bit of Bane and a beaten-up Gordon in a hospital bed asking for Batman to come back.

By the way, the teaser trailer has leaked via a pretty poor quality video. Like the teaser trailer for THE DARK KNIGHT, it's kind underwhelming, but you do get to see a bit of Bane and a beaten-up Gordon in a hospital bed asking for Batman to come back.

I just saw this playing in front of HP. Plays much better in the theatre.