The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Peter T Chattaway

Ryan H. wrote:

: A few months later, I believe.

:

: So this gap is significant. Especially if, as the trailer suggests, Batman's been retired for those eight years. Definitely gives THE DARK KNIGHT RISES a THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS air about it, doesn't it?

It also means that Batman's entire history, pre-Returns (so to speak), has been compressed down to those few months. Not sure I like that.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also means that Batman's entire history, pre-Returns (so to speak), has been compressed down to those few months. Not sure I like that.

It would be a bigger issue if this is meant to be The End of Batman, but it may not be. (Not that I'd really mind either way.)

Edited by Ryan H.

Ryan H. wrote:

: It would be a bigger issue if this is meant to be The End of Batman, but it may not be. (Not that I'd really mind either way.)

Well, I wouldn't mind if this film built up to that either. But isn't a Dark Knight Returns sort of story premised on the idea that Batman was a MAJOR FIGURE in Gotham City's history, and not just some really bizarre flash-in-the-pan that happened during a few Really Bad Months several months ago?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

A secret villain in The Dark Knight Rises is confirmed in the weirdest way possible.

Not that it'll be a surprise to anyone who's followed spoilers.

Speaking of which--a friend of mine managed to snag a couple of tickets to TDKR prologue in Birmingham this Tuesday, so it looks like I'll be getting a sneak peek. Since the prologue's been 'blogged about already--and since I'm not a member of the press--I'll probably be able to report back here Wednesday.

A secret villain in The Dark Knight Rises is confirmed in the weirdest way possible.

Not that it'll be a surprise to anyone who's followed spoilers.

Speaking of which--a friend of mine managed to snag a couple of tickets to TDKR prologue in Birmingham this Tuesday, so it looks like I'll be getting a sneak peek. Since the prologue's been 'blogged about already--and since I'm not a member of the press--I'll probably be able to report back here Wednesday.

Very jealous. There isn't an IMAX screening of MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE GHOST PROTOCOL near where i'm spending Xmas even.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

It's almost inevitable that, after waiting two hours in a line with people nerdier than I am, the actual seven minute prologue should be a bit of a disappointment. But not much of one:

The sequence is an action piece showcasing Bane and his gang. Hardy's voice is--as has been noted--more than a little difficult to understand, but the scene itself is pretty thrilling. I'm talking old-school Bond thrilling--I mean, they capture an airplane in mid-flight by dropping ropes down from a higher-flying plane. I almost expected the scene to segue into a Maurice Binder title sequence. Then there was some other stuff--glimpses of Catwoman, for instance--nothing very clear, but it all looked very big and grand.

I'll add that this is my first time seeing anything in IMAX and--wow. I didn't care for the huge faces in close-up, but the wide areal shots are astounding in that format.

Edited by NBooth

Well, the second trailer leaked and is intermittently available on YouTube. (It's great, BTW, and the first thing I've seen for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES to get me really excited. Also, my concerns about Hathaway would seem to be way off base.) What really struck me about the trailer is how overtly political it is. The thing opens with the American national anthem, which wails over a bit of the opening action, and later into Selina Kyle telling Bruce Wayne in a threatening whisper that "there's a storm coming" and when it hits, he and the rest of the elite are "gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us," followed by images of great civil unrest, with Bane presented as something resembling a revolutionary.

If you've really been following the rumors and spoilers, that whole dynamic would seem to have some pretty interesting shading in other ways, too. For one thing, Talia al Ghul is masquerading as an upper-class humanitarian named Miranda Tate. And of course, our hero is a billionaire whose privilege enables him the room to do what no one else can.

With all this stuff in the mix, I can see THE DARK KNIGHT RISES stirring up a great deal of controversy when it debuts.

I saw it, too, and the National Anthem was really striking to me, too. On the whole, the trailer has me excited, as well.

Although, I have to say, as an avid Steelers fan and native PA person, the inclusion of the one scene with Hines Ward racing for a touchdown like we've never seen before was...just...kinda strange. I hope Gotham feels like Gotham and not...Pittsburgh.

Interested to hear what the rest of the AF folks think of the trailer.

Edited by Nicholas

"What is inside is also outside." -Goethe via Merleau-Ponty, in conclusion to the latter's one extended rumination on film
Filmwell, Twitter, & Letterboxd

Ryan H. wrote:

: The thing opens with the American national anthem, which wails over a bit of the opening action . . .

Really? Huh. I saw this trailer on the big screen two nights ago, before Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, and I don't remember noticing that.

The "WE ARE GOTHAM" chanting that rises over the end is chilling, and actually a bookend to the national anthem at the beginning-- political indeed, and sure to be an interesting installment in Nolan's exploration of groupthink and mobs. The character of crowds is something that comes up time and again in superhero movies, but especially in Nolan's Gotham. I'm convinced the "people of Gotham" are a complex stand-in for a compromised, fallen, redeemable humanity, and whatever influence OWS may have on Dark Knight Rises, I highly doubt Nolan will use the film as a platform for a unilateral class-related message. It's Selena Kyle that has the message about wondering how you could "live so large and leave so little for the rest of us," and the imagery of Bane as revolutionary, the prison break-- it seems like the mob might fall into the temptation to violence to free themselves. Nolan always puts some good ideas in the mouths of his villains, and some bad ones in his heroes. I think Bruce Wayne will finally be taken to task for his excess, but of course that's all double-edged, because Wayne is a martyr for Batman.

Anyway, while I look forward to Nolan's exploring the national unrest, I really doubt he's going to come down too hard anywhere-- he's too caught up in people's mixed motives.

Lauren Wilford wrote:

: It's Selena Kyle that has the message about wondering how you could "live so large and leave so little for the rest of us," and the imagery of Bane as revolutionary, the prison break-- it seems like the mob might fall into the temptation to violence to free themselves.

It has certainly been noted that the villains (and they ARE villains, yes?) seem to be using Wayne's own technology here. But that, of course, just dovetails with the fact that Wayne learned all his Batman tricks-of-the-trade from Ra's Al Ghul's terrorists in the first place.

Tyler wrote:

: IMDB has a page for "Untitled Batman Reboot". No information on the page yet, but it's apparently coming in 2015.

Link to our existing thread on that film.

The Los Angeles Times opens its profile of Anne Hathaway with a possible spoiler:

Gotham City is a war zone. A ruthless madman named Bane has ripped away any sense of security and
the citizens, haggard and clutching suitcases with refugee anxiety, sit behind barbed wire waiting to see what will blow up next. A hooded prisoner is dragged in – it’s Bruce Wayne, one of Gotham’s most famous faces – but the eyes of the crowd go instead to the woman in black standing at the top of the staircase

Sorry to spoil things, boys, but Bane needs these guys himself
,” says sultry Selina Kyle, played here by actress Anne Hathaway, navigating the steps with stiletto heels that, on closer inspection, turn out to have serrated edges capable of leaving nasty claw marks in a fight. She also wears high-tech goggles that, when not in use, flip up and resemble feline ears. . . .

• 3 months later...

The Dark Knight Rises website currently sports a Batman police dossier. It's part of a viral marketing campaign (find Batman graffiti all over the world) that's supposed to unlock the next trailer before it officially premieres in front of The Avengers. Forbes is keeping tabs on the progress.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I don't know if I have anything perceptive to say about this trailer, other than I love it.

It feels very restrained and under-achieving in some ways, but it makes me confident that Nolan has made a film to be proud of.

It'll also be interesting to see how themes of wealth disparity and corruption (already introduced and latent in the first two films) will play out, especially in a 'post-occupy' world (or maybe I should say in light of the apparent failure for occupy to really change anything).

Also of note (paraphrased): Batwoman: "You've given this city everything."

Batman: "I haven't given it everything. Not yet."

@Timzila

"It is the business of fiction to embody mystery through manners, and mystery is a great embarrassment to the modern mind." (Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners).

The shot of the bridges exploding, with the sparse soundtrack backing it, gives me chills.

And what I'm assuming is Bane's mid-air escape attempt looks like it'll be quite the stunt piece.

Now, let the scene-by-scene breakdowns begin…

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

It'll also be interesting to see how themes of wealth disparity and corruption (already introduced and latent in the first two films) will play out, especially in a 'post-occupy' world (or maybe I should say in light of the apparent failure for occupy to really change anything).

Also of note (paraphrased): Batwoman: "You've given this city everything."

Batman: "I haven't given it everything. Not yet."

Well, Nolan apparently also shot some footage at the OWS protests last year, so I would guess it is very on his mind.

And, yes, this trailer has me very excited.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Well, Nolan apparently also shot some footage at the OWS protests last year, so I would guess it is very on his mind.

From what I understand, he considered shooting the OWS protests, but later decided not to.

It's hard to watch these trailers without thinking of that, though, even though THE DARK KNIGHT RISES was written before OWS came to be.