Rich Kennedy

Justified

104 posts in this topic

Brilliant. Having completed an enormous character arc with Boyd, the writers' challenge for next season will be to come up with another one that's just as compelling. Raylan has plenty of unfinished business to occupy next season; Boyd, on the other hand, is on the brink of a whole new chapter in his life.

Ah, nuts. I didn't know this was on last night.

Does your signal offer On Demand for FX? We just had it miraculously added towards the end of this season. I'm not completely sure, but I believe that FX will repeat late Thursday night.

Thinking about it more today, what I really liked best about the season finale is that it kept true to the spirit of a lot of Elmore Leonard's novels. So many of them end on a note that there is more story that is going to occur after the last page, but the necessary parts of the current story are concluded, and you don't feel gypped. That's a difficult trick to pull off, but Leonard makes it seem effortless. The end of Out of Sight comes to mind, when Jack Foley ends up seated next to Hejira Henry, who just happens to be an expert at escaping custody - the main story for Out of Sight is satisfactorily concluded, but the reader is left with the feeling that the continuing story of Jack Foley is just beginning.

Same could be said of Justified. Last nights episode completed a terrific story, while leaving room for more to be told. It was refreshing that it didn't conclude on a cliffhanger note. But, had last nights episode been the final episode, the series would have felt complete, IMHO.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

One Emmy nomination.... Outstanding Original Main Title

Theme Music

Season 2 premieres on February 9th!

Damn... meant to bump this earlier to remind folks of tonight's 2nd season premiere.

TONIGHT ON FX. 10PM! (which means I failed to alert East coast viewers)

Thanks for bumping this. If you hadn't, I would have missed Jeremy Davies total creepiness.

And it appears that this Season 2 opener was co-written by Elmore Leonard. None of the Season 1 episodes were written by him. The bear trap scene and the little surprise about the identity of the local sheriff struck me as pure Leonard.

I enjoyed this. Tied up some though not all loose ends from last season in a pretty satisfying way, and was a good introduction to what's coming up. The dinner table scene with Margo Martindale, Chris Mulkey (totally unrecognizable), and Davies was terrific. So, did mom use the bear trap on Davies sometime in the past?

I enjoyed this. Tied up some though not all loose ends from last season in a pretty satisfying way, and was a good introduction to what's coming up. The dinner table scene with Margo Martindale, Chris Mulkey (totally unrecognizable), and Davies was terrific. So, did mom use the bear trap on Davies sometime in the past?

Ah, that just clicked. Good catch.

Well last night we caught a good whiff of this season's story arc, and it can be summed up in two words: Winter's Bone

...did mom use the bear trap on Davies sometime in the past?

Ah, that just clicked.

OWWW!

/more like snapped?

//is not watching this show

Well last night we caught a good whiff of this season's story arc, and it can be summed up in two words: Winter's Bone

Yes, the feisty daughter character did remind me of Ree. We'll see.

Good episode. I don't know why it caught me off guard, but Eva's appearance did just that. Could be an interesting development.

My sense yet again is that this show is deceptively short. I swear that it feels almost like a hald hour show by the way it crams so much into a broadcast hour.

So we got a little bit of a hint as to some of the past history between Raylen (or maybe the Givens' in general) and the Bennettes, when Mags in a roundabout way blames Raylen for Dickie Bennette's limp (there goes my bear trap theory... maybe).

Rich, I agree that they seem to pack quite a bit into a one hour show. Perhaps almost too much this season. Not that I'm really complaining, but this last episode seemed to really get the "single episode story line" out of the way as quickly as possible, while giving more time to the build up of some of the "season story lines" involving the Bennettes and Boyd Crowder (who really is the most fascinating character I've seen in a long time). Last year it seemed that there would be a "one-off" episode, followed by a "season arc" episode. I'm just hoping that they don't spread any of the stories too thin by trying to cram as much as possible into each episode.

Nice to see John "Red Rock West" Dahl in the directors chair for this last episode.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

So we got a little bit of a hint as to some of the past history between Raylen (or maybe the Givens' in general) and the Bennettes, when Mags in a roundabout way blames Raylen for Dickie Bennette's limp (there goes my bear trap theory... maybe).

I hadn't seen the episode when you mentioned your theory, so when I saw the episode, I picked up on your theory right away. Mags' complaint struck me. They say that journalists write in such a way now, so as to tease high Google search rates. I don't know if there is a term for the sort of plot writing we are discussing here, but I've always enjoyed this sort of writing that both drives the immediate plot right along as well as prompting questions about backstory without making backstory a tangent, or distraction. Once again, Elmore Leonard is a master of this sort of thing. It often rubs off on his stories presented in other media.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Justified picked up a well-deserved Peabody this week! It's citation:

Justified (FX)

FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television

Part morality play, part character study, this engrossing modern-day Western drama sets

its showdowns in the wild, wild east of Appalachian Kentucky.

Some other interesting choices this year, as well. I would be interested to see the documentary, The Lord is Not On Trial Here Today, on the court case establishing the separation of church and state.

Full list of Peabodies.

So, last night's episode seems to explain the limp. Good story about that confrontation too.

I checked, and the library now has Season 1. I'm in the Holds queue.

Is this show now in its second season, or has it been on longer than that?

I actually just watched the premiere episode last night...to be far, I only watched half of it closely, but I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the series.

I checked, and the library now has Season 1. I'm in the Holds queue.

Is this show now in its second season, or has it been on longer than that?

It's now about half way through season 2.

Last nights episode was terrific. Nice to get back to some drama after two weeks of fluffier material. I like the fact that Raylan is not an indestructible hero... he took a pretty good beating.

Last nights episode was terrific. Nice to get back to some drama after two weeks of fluffier material. I like the fact that Raylan is not an indestructible hero... he took a pretty good beating.

Yes. I love the relationship he has with his Dad's wife, heh. As to the beating, he seems to be 0 for 2 hand to hand for the series, but Wednesday's beating was by a guy with a cast on his hand. I'm impressed that Raylan was still conscious.