Rich Kennedy

Justified

104 posts in this topic

Last nights episode was terrific. Nice to get back to some drama after two weeks of fluffier material. I like the fact that Raylan is not an indestructible hero... he took a pretty good beating.

Yes on both counts. I was getting a bit nervous to see the show veering off into filler. The real genius of the first season is its lack of any embellishments beyond that main storyline, which is a pretty Leonard ethos. I hope they stick with that.

One more thing to add, Mags Bennette is getting to be nearly as interesting a character as Boyd Crowder. I think the coming episodes in which these two start going head to head may turn out to be something spectacular.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Season finale is tonight. One of the things I thought this season's storyline might have been building up to now doesn't appear likely to happen. I tried to rationalize some of the Winona story arcs as a build up to her character being killed off tonight but, unless Timothy Olyphant is a shrewder card player than I give him credit for, his interview today on Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment squashes that notion.

That interview can be heard here, if anyone is interested.

Hm. Ambivalent about this ending. My wish for the entire series is that it ends in true Leonard fashion with the hero taking the firearms instruction gig because his wife is worth it.

I agree with what you say about the ultimate finale of the entire series - Olyphant himself said much the same thing in his interview on The Treatment.

I was very pleased with last nights finale. Especially how...

Raylan's call for assistance did not go to Art, but rather to Boyd. Pretty much reverses the position the two were in at the end of last season when Boyd remarked to Raylan, "I'm gonna bet my life on you being the only friend I have left in this world."

This is such a great, complicated relationship. I can't wait to see what they do with it next season.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

I watched the season finale again over the weekend, and liked it even more. Had a couple of thoughts and questions. This season could have been called Hillbilly King Lear.

One, I really liked the interaction in the scene between Raylan, Mags, and Loretta. It's a wonderfully written scene, where protagonist and antagonist share a common goal to save this young girl from suffering an even more devastating pain that could come from her own hand. The most powerful lines of the episode came during this scene.... Raylan: "Ask yourself what your daddy would want you to do.” Loretta: “I want him to be here to tell me." Just gut wrenching.

When Mags was trying to talk Loretta out of shooting her, she said she had had pistols pointed at her before and that she had even held a few. I assumed she meant that she had held pistols at other people before but, thinking on it some more, it seemed like she may also have been saying she had held a gun to her own head a time or two. Got me thinking, and then she actually goes and kills herself.

Anyone else think that Winona fessed up to Art about the stolen cash, to get him to help Raylan? Her "I might not be there when you get back" could possibly have meant that she might be in jail.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Ooh, I like the Hillbilly King Lear thing. Excellent. I'm going to be suspicious and also hedge on your last point about Winona. I'd say Art knows and won't be able to prove anything, so keep it for later. Nevertheless, you could be right.

So, for 20 years, Dickie's holding a grudge about the cost of a fight that he started with the head hunting pitch AND the spikes almost to the face. Is this the essence of a "seventy year feud" or what. Speaking of which, any bets that the bullet that ultimately saves Raylin's life comes from the ex sniper? I like the possibilities for their relationship as well. As to Boyd and Raylin, I believe that the first season stressed over and over the bond between men who've dug coal together.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Just a reminder that Season 3 starts next Tuesday, Jan. 17th. Get those DVR's set!

Good start. I like seeing Neal McDunough brought in. More later.

Just watched the pilot. I am hooked.

Just watched the pilot. I am hooked.

Wait till you get to season two.

Anyone watching Season 3? We're three episodes in, and still being introduced to major new-comers, but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. The one unfortunate thing is the fact that the Southern California locations are getting to be a bit too familiar to me this season. In the second episode, the shooting of the witness protection officer took place right outside of The Way Station, a fabulous little hole in the wall restaurant in Newhall that I walk to for breakfast a couple times a month.

I think season 3 will be a great one. I like that even though Mags is gone, the hole left by her exit is being filled by competing interests - both local and imported. Raylan's going to have his hands full.

I'm seeing a pattern here. The background seems to be a crime of the season.

And yes, McDonnough is a great addition. Loved his cheesey smile last week as Raylan leaves. Heh, I've got my wife hooked again. I'd saved the entire Season Two for her. We finally saw it together the last weekend of January, her birthday weekend (that's how we celebrate it. the whole weekend). She's even caught up this season. Ready for tonight. Boyd is the great anti-hero of contemporary TV, Cable or network. I don't care.

But I want more Rachel. That's some partner. And more Art. He owned the second episode.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

I've returned to Justified after finishing Twin Peaks. I think I'm about four episodes in...just finished the one featuring Alan Ruck - definitely my favourite so far. Unfortunately, Netflix (Canada) only has the first 13 episodes.

Is it me, or is the body count WAAAAYYYYYYY up this season? I swear there have been more deaths in the first six episodes of season three, than there were total deaths all last season. Season one had a pretty high body count, but that seemed weighted more towards the final three episodes. So far, I think this season is averaging three killings an episode.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Is it me, or is the body count WAAAAYYYYYYY up this season? I swear there have been more deaths in the first six episodes of season three, than there were total deaths all last season. Season one had a pretty high body count, but that seemed weighted more towards the final three episodes. So far, I think this season is averaging three killings an episode.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Them corpses are pilin' up.

We've been getting a lot of Elmore Leonard press around here because he lives here. He's saying all the right things about this season, but I wonder what he really thinks. I just finished Riding the Rap last week. I was impressed at how slow and relaxed the plot was compared with other Leonard novels and Justified.

This has been an unusual season. I thought that the story line was just starting to click into gear in the last two or three weeks, and then learn at the end of this past episode that tomorrow night is the season finale. In a way, it seem like the series waited until its "junior year" to suffer its sophomore slump.

Series creator Graham Yost was interviewed on Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment last week. You can listen to that here, or download the podcast. Yost says that he has a story arc for a total of six seasons, should FX decide to run the show that long. He also says that most of the major loose ends from last season and season one will be addressed in tomorrows finale.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

One thing is for sure, Justified doesn't short-change its viewers during the season finales. Season threes' finale didn't disappoint, even if the season in total felt kind of off. The last ten minutes were particularly well handled, especially the relationships between Raylan, Arlo and Boyd. A lot of dialogue that had been peppered throughout the season took on a new light at the end.

I'm glad not everything was wrapped up neatly. Open questions still remain with Johnny in Harlan, and Theo in Detroit. I'd like to see more of Limehouse next year, that is if Justified gets picked up for another season (I don't think FX has yet announced this).

I'm glad not everything was wrapped up neatly. Open questions still remain with Johnny in Harlan, and Theo in Detroit. I'd like to see more of Limehouse next year, that is if Justified gets picked up for another season (I don't think FX has yet announced this).

I'm actually pretty sure they announced it last month. (Checking.) Yup.

I thought I read somewhere that the writers have a five-season arc mapped out. I hope that is the case. At that point, I wouldn't mind switch gears to a different set of Leonard-inspired scripts.

Boy, if that last shot of Raylan putting his hat on after making that comment to Winona wasn't just spot on.

By the way, has anyone read Leonard's new book Raylan? Leonard has done this before, in that he wrote Road Dogs after Clooney played Jack Foley in Out of Sight (Foley being a character in both). Several reviewers noted that Leonard kind of wrote Foley as Clooney playing Foley. I wonder if Raylan is Timothy Olyphant as playing Raylan.

I'm actually pretty sure they announced it last month. (Checking.) Yup.

Thumbs up to that!

I thought I read somewhere that the writers have a five-season arc mapped out. I hope that is the case. At that point, I wouldn't mind switch gears to a different set of Leonard-inspired scripts.

Boy, if that last shot of Raylan putting his hat on after making that comment to Winona wasn't just spot on.

By the way, has anyone read Leonard's new book Raylan? Leonard has done this before, in that he wrote Road Dogs after Clooney played Jack Foley in Out of Sight (Foley being a character in both). Several reviewers noted that Leonard kind of wrote Foley as Clooney playing Foley. I wonder if Raylan is Timothy Olyphant as playing Raylan.

The linik to the audio interview with Graham Yost that I posted last week has Yost saying he has a six season outline already mapped out.

Wait till you get to season two.

OK, so we're finally watching season two. Loving it, of course — even more than the first season.

I've been pondering on what I love about the show. I've come up with a lot of reasons. Two that stand out, though. First, the show does an outstanding job of balancing "crime of the week" elements with season- and series-long story arcs. Yes, other shows do this to varying degrees. But I feel like Justified has something for both the casual and die-hard fan. Second, I really love the supporting cast. Not only Raylan's crew (who are great), but also folks like Wynn Duffy, state trooper Bergen, and others. I love how very minor characters pop up episodes (or seasons) later.

I'm nearly finished season two (about 3 episodes left). It's very good.

One thing I'm wondering about. In season one, it seemed as if Boyd Crowder, in trying to redeem his ways, became more "religious", but this season the religious aspect of his character seems tempered and almost forgotten (then again, forming a Christian militia isn't exactly a saintly endeavour...).