Sign in to follow this  
Rich Kennedy

Justified

We're five episodes into Season 5, but because we do the library DVD thing, we'll have to wait a few weeks before we can take another crack at it

We're enjoying the episodes, but my wife's comment toward the end of Disc 1 (of 3) in the set caught me by surprise. She looked at me and said, "I miss Limehouse."

That's right, the villain from -- when was it, Season 2 or 3? Wasn't the character considered a disappointment at the time -- one of those, "The show hasn't been the same since he was introduced" characters?

I agreed with Sarah, probably chiefly because the Season 5 villain seems so ... unimpressive. At least so far.

I agreed with Sarah, probably chiefly because the Season 5 villain seems so ... unimpressive. At least so far.

Limehouse was never truly the "big bad" of a season, merely acting in the background. Season 2 was Mags (who was great), and Season 3 was Quarles (who was terrifying). 

Don't know how far along you are now, but Season 5's villain became a favorite by the end. I think it's because Michael Rapaport is so ridiculous in the role, and he rides the character carefully down that "fine line between clever and stupid." 

I need to pay more attention to this season, now--it's the last one. Jason Panella, didn't you post this "The Literary Genius of 'Justified'" over on Facebook? Good article on the series. No spoilers:

If the show sometimes feels like it isn’t sure what kind of a show it is, that’s in part because of a sprawling ambition to be an extended meditation on grand themes: the price of sin and violence, the ties of blood and kin, the difference between justice and vengeance.

And more....