Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

A Wrinkle in Time

Link to our thread on the 2003 TV-movie.

- - -

Bedrock taps Jeff Stockwell to adapt 'Wrinkle'

Jeff Stockwell has been hired to adapt author Madeleine L'Engle's classic time-travel head trip, "A Wrinkle in Time," for Cary Granat and his new Bedrock Studios. . . .

The BBC made a film version of the young-adult novel, and Dimension produced a telefilm for ABC in 2004. Disney carried remake rights from that deal and is developing the new feature iteration with Bedrock, which had negotiated rights to the property from the L'Engle estate. Catherine Hand also is producing, and L'Engle's granddaughter, Charlotte Voilkis, is exec producing.

Granat has a relationship with Disney from when his Walden Media produced such films for the studio as the "Chronicles of Narnia" series and "Bridge to Terabithia," co-written by Stockwell. L'Engle wrote a handful of follow-up novels to "Wrinkle," now called the Time Quintet, and Disney's Rich Ross is seeking more franchise material in the mold of the female-driven success of Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland."

The UTA-repped Stockwell has made something of a career out of tackling challenging children's literature. He co-wrote the adaptation of Chris Fuhrman's novel "The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys" for producer Jodie Foster and ThinkFilm as well as the adaptation of Katherine Paterson's "Terabithia," which Disney released in 2007.

Stockwell also has adaptations of the novels "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" in development. His original screenplay "Our Wild Life" (formerly titled "Peaceable Kingdom") is set up with Mandalay Pictures at New Line. Walter Salles is set to direct. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, March 18

Persona   

One of the first real "books" I read as a kid.

I don't know. It could go either way. Especially since many of the scientific ideas that were in the book are now thoroughly outdated.

‘Frozen’ Director Jennifer Lee to Adapt ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ for Disney (EXCLUSIVE)

Jennifer Lee, who wrote, and co-directed “Frozen” with Chris Buck, has chosen her next project: “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Lee will write the bigscreen adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s book for Disney in which children travel through time and visit strange worlds in order to find their missing scientist father.

Published in 1962, “Wrinkle in Time” was one of Lee’s favorite novels as a child, and she impressed Disney executives with her take on the project, which emphasizes a strong female-driven narrative and creatively approaches the science fiction and world-building elements of the book. . . .

Variety, August 5

Attica   

I have the TV Movie version of this story.  It's wanting.  So it will be nice to see this book given the treatment that it is due.  I mean, hopefully.

NBooth   

With 'A Wrinkle In Time,' Ava DuVernay will pass a milestone

DuVernay, who directed “Selma” in 2014 and executive produced “Queen Sugar,” a series premiering on OWN Sept. 6, joins a tiny group of women live-action directors who have worked at such budget levels— Kathryn Bigelow for the 2002 movie “K-19: The Widowmaker,” and Patty Jenkins, who is directing next year’s “Wonder Woman” movie.

Among live-action directors of color, she is also in elite company, a group which includes “Star Trek Beyond” director Justin Lin, “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer” director Tim Story and “Fast 8” director F. Gary Gray.

As a woman of color helming a live-action studio tentpole movie, she will be in a category of one.

They left out Furious 7 director James Wan! (And of course, Justin Lin also directed four entries in the Fast & Furious franchise before he switched to Star Trek.)

Among female directors, there is also Mimi Leder (Deep Impact was reportedly budgeted at $75 million in 1998 dollars).

And among women of colour helming *non*-live-action studio tentpoles, there is Jennifer Yuh Nelson (Kung Fu Panda 2 was budgeted at $150 million).

Link to our thread on 'Top-grossing films by female directors' (last updated April 2015).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

BethR   

Trailer: 

Edited by BethR
double linking

"Visionary director". It sounded silly when the trailer for Watchmen used it to describe Zack Snyder, who at that time had directed only Dawn of the Dead and 300. It sounds even sillier now. (Granted, DuVernay directed an okay but flawed docudrama about a visionary *character*. But that hardly suggests the sort of world-building or visual style on the director's part that would warrant using the phrase in a trailer for a film like this.)

I haven't read this book in ages, but very little in that trailer squares with my vague memories of the book. Maybe I should re-read it.

At any rate, this looks like a film that isn't afraid to get wild, though, so I'll give credit to DuVernay.

A writer friend of mine complained on Facebook that she didn't expect to see the three witches (well, the two non-Oprah ones, at least) looking so young and slim. She was expecting a little more... maturity?

I happened to read the book to my kids a few months ago, and it struck me as a very 1950s sort of story (though it was technically published in 1963). The critique of conformity feels *very* aimed at the modernist culture of the mid-20th century -- very TOS, but not particularly TNG, if I can put it in Star Trek terms -- and I don't know how well it will translate to the post-modern (or post-post-modern?) present day. (My kids also commented that Camazotz felt very much like the drab planet we see in the recent film version of The Little Prince, which I thought was interesting.)