Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

The Walking Dead

Interesting that that they used the main theme from Sunshine during the evacuation montage; though with a talent like Bear Mcreary composing, I wish they wouldn't waste time on using other scores.

Well, I thought it was an effective use of "Adagio in D Minor," even if McCreary didn't write it. If they would've played a pop song in that spot too, I would've been OK (unless it was, like, Aqua's "Barbie Girl" or something.)

I might go as far to say that "Wildfire" was my favorite episode of the series thus far. They're deviating pretty far from the comic, and it's totally working. I love it and can't wait for the season finale.

Yeah... Wildfire worked for me on pretty much all levels. Heck, my grandmother was on her deathbed that night, and her willingness to accept that she was facing death without fear loomed heavily in my thoughts as they left their bitten compadre behind in accordance to his wishes.

Hmmmm... Is it just me, or does this strike any other fans of this show as INSANE?

'The Walking Dead' Lets Go Of Writers; Considers No Writing Staff For Season 2

I hear The Walking Dead writer/ executive producer/ director Frank Darabont has let go of the writers on the hot freshman AMC series, which has already renewed for a second season. That includes Darabont's No. 2, writing executive producer Charles “Chic” Eglee. Writer turnover on series between seasons is commonplace but wholesale overhauls are unusual. What's more, I hear Darabont is looking to forgo having a writing staff for the second season of Walking Dead altogether and assign scripts to freelancers.

Yeah, saw that yesterday. To quote the meme, I guess Frank Darabont thought Frank Darabont's original script was better.

But yes, seems...hasty? Still, I've read enough interviews with folks from the show to get that Darabont made substantial tweaks to enough of the teleplays this season already. Plus, isn't this how most TV shows used to work (the freelance approach, I mean)?

Anyone feel a bit let down by the last episode?

I guess none of these characters ever saw The Truman Show. If they had, they'd have known that whereas Noah Emmerich may genuinely care about you, he is still capable of lying to your face while pretending to be your best friend.

Anyone feel a bit let down by the last episode?

I guess none of these characters ever saw The Truman Show. If they had, they'd have known that whereas Noah Emmerich may genuinely care about you, he is still capable of lying to your face while pretending to be your best friend.

Yeah, it went out with a bit of a whimper. Thinking back to what actually happened this season on the show, I realized that very little happened.

We just saw a dwindling number of characters running between Atlanta and camp. What happened to Merle? And the father and son from the pilot?

I agree with Alan Sepinwall who said it didn't feel like season 1 so much as the prologue to season 1.

But it's a TV show about zombies and other than some clunky dialogue throughout the season, the deceptive standoff with the gang in Atlanta, and Shane's super cliche drinking in the shower scene of the finale, I enjoyed these episodes and I'll tune in next October.

I bet AMC is wishing they hadn't order such a small season now, the hype surrounding this brief season might wane in the next 10 months.

And your Truman Show connection cracked me up.

Yeah, it was a very slight finale.

Honestly, I felt like the whole CDC plot was an attempt to stave off the inevitable "What caused the outbreak??????!?!?!?!" questions. The comic (mild spoiler) never explains. Trying something as simple for TV probably won't fly for people that WANT ANSWERS.

Naming the character Ed Jenner was a bit too much on the nose as well, unless the writers were just trying to raise our hopes before cruelly dashing them.

Naming the character Ed Jenner was a bit too much on the nose as well, unless the writers were just trying to raise our hopes before cruelly dashing them.

Yeah, I made a chuckled Lost comparison in my head when I caught that.

Any guesses on what Jenner whispered to Rick? I think I know, but I'm curious as to what others think.

EDIT: Lost comparison as in how on-the-nose the reference was.

Edited by Jason Panella

Any guesses on what Jenner whispered to Rick? I think I know, but I'm curious as to what others think.

Perhaps Jenner somehow heard or saw the conversation between Shane and Lori through surveillance footage?

Edited by Gavin Breeden

Yeah, I made a chuckled Lost comparison in my head when I caught that.

Here's my guess.

Jenner told Rick that Lori is pregnant. He found out in the blood test.

The same thing Bill Murray said to Scarlett Johansson at the end of Lost in Translation.

Or, that there is still hope somewhere, and that Jenner just couldn't leave the building because that's where his wife died. The pregnancy angle is a good guess.

There's a whole thread of potential comments at the AV Club (most of them pretty vulgar and pretty funny). A few of my favorites Jenner-to-Rick comments:

"There are only twelve Cylon models."

"Frank Darabont's original draft was better."

"There is...another...Skywalker."

"Do you like movies about gladiators?"

Seriously, though, my guesses in order of how right I think I am:

1. Lori is pregnant.

2. "Watch out for Shane. I saw the security feed."

3. "It's become airborne...YOU are the walking dead!"

Really looking forward to the second season. A lot of potential stories and characters to mine here.

Whoa. Darabont may be stepping down as showrunner.

If this is true, then my hopes for the show have actually lifted quite a bit.

I can't quite see it, but man I sure loved the brief run of Life.

I have high hopes, since Mazzara also wrote the best episode of the first season (after the pilot, that is).

This article discusses Darabont's dismissal and paints a strange picture of what has been happening at AMC over the past year.

Has AMC had too much success too soon? Are they shooting themselves in the foot by having public contract disputes with the creators of "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad," renewing a frustrating show like "The Killing," and cutting the budget/changing the show runner of their biggest hit, "The Walking Dead"?

This article has me concerned about the quality of season 2 of "The Walking Dead" and the future of AMC in general.

Edited by Gavin Breeden