Seeking Screenwriter

Cre8inator

NOTE: Seeking Screenwriter

I am a director who is seeking a screenwriter to work with on a feature length project. Strength in dialogue is a must. Ability to co-write with a driven director strongly desired. Have considered writing myself...but like to be honest about my own weaknesses. laugh.gif

I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Hi. Given that some of us (me) have dialogue strengths that tend toward verbose talking trees and even more verbose men obsessed with Jim Varney characters, while others (those of us who are not me) have dialogue strengths that could be used in, you know, a normal film, could you give us the slightest of help in general project feel and focus? Slapstick comedy v. Merchant-Ivory drama? Dialogue laconic or prolix? I'm sure there are those of us who would be willing to help you, assuming the project leans toward their strengths -- I would, for example -- but my suspicion is most of us need more to go on.

Regardless, good luck on making a feature film. I'm not brave enough to direct one yet.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Dale (and others interested),

Quite well. What you need is direction! How silly of me.

Right now, the piece is leaning toward a dark-toned drama. It takes place in the small towns and back roads of Indiana, so the dialogue would need to follow suit. For the record, I would consider the film "Clerks" to be nearly the polar OPPOSITE of what I wish to direct. My problem with "Clerks" (thoguh it is certainly funny...and a pretty widely accepted formula these days) is fundamentally that all of the characters actually SOUND like one guy who speaking. I am not interested in one voice, but many. Also, "Clerks" is too verbose for my taste.

On that note, I beileve some of the best moments in cinema are said without the use of words at all. As a director, I value the use of the unspoken as much as (if not more than) the spoken.

Also, I am not terribly interested in following any current fads that may be manifesting themselves in the independent film circuit. I am more interested in following proven commercial methods OR creating NEW approaches to storytelling with my creative team. That is to say, I don't want to boldly copy what everyone has copied before.

In short, the story (which I have already begun) is a tragedy about a man who loses his innocence through a series of events in his life and is trying desperately to get it back. That's the backbone of the idea...though it is MUCH more complicated than that.

Hope some of this helps a little.

Again, please let me know if you are interested.

Cre8inator@aol.com

: How silly of me.

For shame. Silliness is not allowed on this board.

: Right now, the piece is leaning toward a dark-toned drama. It takes

: place in the small towns and back roads of Indiana, so the dialogue

: would need to follow suit.

How mean you, exactly, about "the dialogue...follow[ing] suit"? No "Sex in the City"-esque discussions of Prada, Gucci, and Versace; instead, conversations about the merits of which month to detassel in? (Or whatever the Indiana equivalent is; I don't know how much corn is grown in Indiana.) Slower-paced pace of speaking, less verbose, words chosen more carefully, relatively long pauses in conversations? Those are the clich

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."