Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Census 2010

For all those living in the U.S., have you sent in your census form yet? Don't make me come to your house!

I'll be out tonight counting people living in cars.

The census is just another facet of Obama's insidious plan to become dictator of the world. Glenn Beck told me.

I worked for the Canadian census once, in 1996. Then I worked part-time for Statistics Canada from about 1999 to 2004, mostly working on the Labour Force Survey (i.e. the survey that produces the monthly unemployment statistics), but also manning one of the information phone-lines during the census in 2001.

The job came to an end when Statistics Canada built a brand-new facility somewhere in Ontario and THEN discovered that they didn't have enough work to keep all their facilities going, so they decided to more-or-less shut down the Vancouver facility and have people in Ontario do all the telephone surveys here in British Columbia (three whole time zones away...).

And they wonder back east why people out here aren't too terribly fond of that province ...

For all those living in the U.S., have you sent in your census form yet? Don't make me come to your house!

Sent mine back, so you won't need to pound on my door. :D

Darrel Manson wrote:

: How often does Canada do a census?

Every five years. Four out of five homes get the short form, one out of five get the long form. And so far, every time I have done the census since working for them in '96, I have had the long form.

(Hmmm. In '96, I lived with my parents. In '01, I lived with a roommate in downtown Vancouver. In '06, I lived in Vancouver with my wife and our newborn twins. And, assuming nothing changes in the immediate future, in '11 I'll be living in Surrey with my wife and our THREE kids. At this point, I rather doubt that we'll still be at this address in '16. So it won't be until the '20s at least that I take part in the census twice at the same address.)

EDITED TO ADD: It occurs to me that, in '91, I was not living with my parents but with a bunch of roommates in the infamous "Hoy House". But I don't remember filling out a census form then. We initially moved into the basement suite, which has an entrance at the back of the house, sometime around April of that year, which would have been just before the census took place ... and we didn't move into the top half of the house, which included the front entrance, until October or thereabouts. So it's possible that the people upstairs filled out the census form and never told the census person about my roommates and me downstairs. But it's also possible that my roommates and I DID fill out the census form and I simply forgot about it afterwards. And if we got the short form, it is ALSO possible that one of my roommates could have filled it out without even telling the rest of us; we would have known enough about each other to answer the basic questions, I think.

Going back even earlier than that, in '86 I was a high-school student living with my parents in a completely different address from the one that we were living in in '96. So the census would have been theirs to fill out, not mine. (It was theirs to fill out in '96, too, but I was just more AWARE of it this time because I was working for the census at that time -- albeit not in my parents' neighbourhood.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

There's a census? Do you think anyone remembered me? Doubt it. I sure didn't.

For those who live in community some how (dorms, monasteries, prisons, group homes, skilled nursing facilities...) Group Quarters Enumerations gets started tomorrow. More likely, don't look for your ICR (Individual Census Record) until at least next week. I'm starting to learn what it means to work for the government - lots of paperwork, which will be shredded shortly after I turn it in.

Sent mine back, so you won't need to pound on my door. :D

I'm baffled. I sent mine back, and then yesterday received another one addressed to "resident" at my address, saying "We haven't received your form! send it ASAP! But if you've already sent one, don't send another one!" What?!:blink:

I'm baffled. I sent mine back, and then yesterday received another one addressed to "resident" at my address, saying "We haven't received your form! send it ASAP! But if you've already sent one, don't send another one!" What?!:blink:

I've heard that in some places it's more cost effective to just send them to everyone than to target. It's still far cheaper than sending me around to knock on doors. On the other hand, if you don't mind passing your tax money on to me, that's ok.

I got a letter saying to watch for the form, it was coming shortly. It came, I did my duty, and sent it back. Then I got a postcard saying to fill it out and send it back, unless we'd already sent it back.

I'm still waiting for the letter that is the follow-up to the postcard that came after the form which was mailed after the initial letter. :blink: ha. ;)

I've been trying to find my grandparents among the databases of the 1920 and 1930 censuses (the most recent ones opened) without luck. Wonder how much effort was put into rural areas back then.

Edited by Darrel Manson

I've heard that in some places it's more cost effective to just send them to everyone than to target. It's still far cheaper than sending me around to knock on doors. On the other hand, if you don't mind passing your tax money on to me, that's ok.

I was a census worker in 2000. If what you say is true, they might have actually learned something from the last census. Forgive me if I doubt that. My suspicion is that they will mailbomb and also send out street walkers too.

It might depend on the supervisor. What once was Royal Oak TWP is now one of the most densely populated areas of Oakland County (Michigan's wealthiest suburb and just north of Detroit's north and northwest side) with about nine different municipalities. Two slivers of RO TWP remain. One, along the north Detroit border is folded into Ferndale's zipcode (where I live) and is the only real "projects" in the County. 99% African American. The other is on the northern edge of RO TWP north of Oak Park, sharing its zipcode. Oak Park has traditionally been a Jewish bastion and still has a healthy Hassidic population with some African Americans. Ferndale is 85% white.

The powers that be had me searching the projects daily. The other portion of the TWP is heavily populated with recent Russian Jewish emigre's. Of course, a young African American kid on the make from Oak Park was forced to roust Russian immigrants while I was the guy kids were ordered NOT to talk to on the south side. The kid gave up before I did. I figure no recent immigrant of any stripe was skilled in reading what sort of stranger was at his door, let alone a black kid. Even if he was well dressed and intelligent. They didn't want to find out. Probably would have treated me similarly. I gave up in disgust when I had my file pretty much done and it would take me half an hour ro check all the remaining addresses for no answer. I couldn't get a new file 'til the one I had was completed.

At least they called me back for mop-up work in September.