Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Fantastic Voyage

Link to our thread on I, Robot (2004), where the original Fantastic Voyage (1966) and other films with an Isaac Asimov connection were discussed.

I'm a little surprised that we have no thread for this yet; I know I've blogged it a few times over the years, e.g. here and here. Anyhoo, here's the latest update:

- - -

Paul Greengrass circles 'Fantastic Voyage'

Paul Greengrass is feeling adventurous, entering early talks to direct the 3D redo of adventure-fantasy "Fantastic Voyage" for 20th Century Fox and James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment.

Special effects-driven pic would be a major departure for the Brit helmer. Until now, Greengrass -- known for his signature use of hand-held cameras -- has focused on serious, gritty fare. Many of his movies have based on real-life tales such as the 9/11-themed "United 93" and, more recently, "Green Zone," which is still in theaters.

"Fantastic Voyage" will be shot in 3D, using the same technologies Cameron and Jon Landau's Lightstorm developed for "Avatar." Cameron is one of the producers on the sci-fi project.

Fox considers "Fantastic Voyage" a big event property. Already onboard to adapt the remake of the 1966 sci-fi pic is Shane Salerno ("Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem). . . .

Variety, March 31

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Fox And James Cameron Tap Shawn Levy For 3D 'Fantastic Voyage'

EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox has set Shawn Levy to direct Fantastic Voyage, the James Cameron-produced 3D tent pole film. I’m told that Levy has boarded the re-imagining of the 1966 original about a team of scientists shrunk into a ship in an attempt to save a colleague's life. Fox and Cameron have been moving cautiously on a big budget film that, from early in the script once they go inside the body, is almost exclusively CGI. The script is by Shane Salerno, with Laeta Kalogridis working on a polish.

The directing job has been one of the big open slots out there since Paul Greengrass ended a flirtation with the picture last year. I’m told that helmers like Darren Aronofsky, Timur Bekmambetov, Jonathan Mostow and Louis Leterrier met with Cameron. Levy is an unexpected choice, but he is a Fox favorite who is broadening beyond comedies into bigger fare. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, February 7

Will Hugh Jackman Soon Be Packing For A 'Fantastic Voyage?'

EXCLUSIVE: I'm hearing that Hugh Jackman is director Shawn Levy's first choice to star in 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Voyage, the James Cameron-produced 3D tent pole film. It's early days, but this would give Jackman a big movie to do while he and Fox sort things out with The Wolverine. . . . It would also keep Jackman and Levy in the Fox fold at a time when their recent collaboration, Real Steel, looks like it could be a big hit for DreamWorks in the fall. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, May 3

Persona   

What is a "tent pole" film?

Director Shawn Levy Considers Exiting 'Fantastic Voyage' as Will Smith Courted to Star (Exclusive)

Levy, the director of Night at the Museum, Date Night and the upcoming robot boxing pic Real Steel, has been attached to helm the big-budget re-imagining of the 1966 sci-fi movie. But sources say that momentum on the project has slowed a bit because finding the right cast has proven tough, and that Levy has begun to look at other projects. The situation could work itself out, but sources close to Voyage, which is not greenlighted, say it's more likely than not that Levy will move on.

Hollywood Reporter, August 18

James Cameron Updates Progress Of Planned ‘Fantastic Voyage’ Remake

EXCLUSIVE: Although James Cameron was at Paramount today to show off his 3D conversion of Titanic, I had to ask him and his producer partner Jon Landau about the progress of their planned remake of the campy but fun 1966 sci-fi hit Fantastic Voyage. . . .

Cameron says it’s about two thirds of the way there in the development process. Much like Titanic the new Voyage has a real emotional core to it, basically dealing with a doctor going through troubled times in his marriage who finds himself injected into his gravely ill wife in order to save her life. . . .

Pete Hammond, Deadline.com, October 28

Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘Fantastic Voyage’ Pauses Until After Awards Season
EXCLUSIVE: Fox and Lightstorm are pumping the brakes on the sci-fi remake Fantastic Voyage. That is so that director Guillermo del Toro can focus on the launch of The Shape of Water, the fable he co-wrote and directs, with Fox Searchlight rolling out the pic beginning December 8. The film is playing the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals and is expected to be an awards season contender. Sources said that the decision was made to wait until the meticulous del Toro can put his full focus into prepping and directing the remake before they start spending money on sets. They hadn’t dated the film, but the plan was to start production next spring and possibly make a holiday 2019 release. Instead, they’ll regroup and pick up the lengthy prep next spring and start production by the fall or perhaps earlier. This pushes the film possibly into the 2020 release corridor. Sources said del Toro remains firmly committed to the remake of the 1965 film about a scientist with a potentially fatal health problem who gets five of his colleagues to be miniaturized in a ship and injected into his bloodstream to save his life.
Deadline.com, August 25