Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

"God Is Still Speaking"

A few years ago the United Church of Christ had some mildly controversial ads that many channels/networks refused to run. I expect we discussed them back in the day, but I can't hit anything with the search engine here. They have come out with a new version that won't be as controversial.

See the new ads here.

What's with all the camera flares? Who directed this, JJ Abrams? :)

In what way is it less controversial? Seems to contain plenty of food for controversy on the usual topics.

Did the tagline "God is still speaking," end with a comma in the old ad, or with a period? The comma just increases my temptation to add a certain snarky comeback:

"but only to us."

Did the tagline "God is still speaking," end with a comma in the old ad, or with a period?

It's always had a comma, I believe. And, not coincidentally, "Never place a period where God has placed a comma" has been one the mainstays in both UCC churches I've worked at during the past three years. (Actually, they were both Congregational churches, but both were part of the UCC.)

Also, that ad is stupid.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Well the idea of God distributing commas is kind of silly considering the general absence of punctuation in early Biblical manuscripts AFAIK God never placed a comma or any other punctuation mark for that matter

So, punctuation is the one "creation" of man we dare not credit God for, being made in His Image? OTOH, it is ironic that a progressive Protestant denomination that almost by definition doesn't do literalism would use aphorisms setting punctuation marks in stone. Good music though.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

So, punctuation is the one "creation" of man we dare not credit God for, being made in His Image?

I dont mind crediting God with inspiring people to create punctuation But he has left it up to us to decide where it goes