Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Drew

Prometheus (2012)

264 posts in this topic

I know Alien and Promotheus are for sure. I am pretty sure he's said Blade Runner and those two are not, but the whole thing with the androids, especially in Blade Runner and Promotheus deal with some of the same concepts.

Taliesin wrote:

: I am pretty sure he's said Blade Runner and those two are not, but the whole thing with the androids, especially in Blade Runner and Promotheus deal with some of the same concepts.

Did you read the linked article? There's an "easter egg" in the UK DVD release which indicates that Tyrell (from Blade Runner) was a mentor to Weyland (the man from Prometheus who gave his name to the corporation that we see in all the Alien movies).

Now I'm just waiting for someone to show how this all ties in to Alien Vs. Predator (which featured yet another corporate guy named Weyland).

FWIW, I've not seen Prometheus, but I have a hard time imagining the thirties-of-the-future world of Blade Runner meshing comfortably with the Alienverse, replicants or no replicants. They...they taste different, if that even makes sense. Of course, with the upcoming Blade Runner 2, anything's possible, I suppose.

Are Blade Runner, Prometheus, and Alien all part of the same universe?

I am going to voice my opinion and say how super-lame this is.

I have always held Alien in the highest regard. I've always considered it the transitional film that perfectly made that sci-fi to horror jump. It is so well made, and so well acted, and the ending is superb. It's a classic.

At the same time, as a film lover who also enjoys opinions that greatly differ from my own, I've been making a years-long journey toward, at the very least, appreciating Blade Runner. I saw it on the big screen last year and I think I finally "got it." I do believe that the narration kills it, and I am (sorry, still) looking forward to seeing the cut without that crappy narration (on the big screen would be great).

Prometheus is a regrettable film I'd like to forget. After all of the talk about it being the prequel to Alien, it did very little to capitalize on the strengths of that film and instead chose to give us a runaround about the origins and foundations of mankind, the universe, etc. Dammit, Ridley, we just wanted to know the origins of the alien and perhaps catch a few more scares. Nada.

Prometheus was a friggin' mess. It wasn't even a fun friggin' mess, it was simply a friggin' mess. A new age hippie druggie alien-spawning-humans friggin' mess. (Ooooooh, ridley, so THAT';s how the Universe began... Far out, maaannn) I hate to be so blunt. I don't think I've shared thoughts on this film before. I believe I was so utterly disappointed when I saw it that I was simply trying to give it time - to see if maybe what's been happening for years in me in my respect and admiration for Blade Runner might happen, too, with Prometheus. But the more arguments I see for that film, the more annoyed I get. And the further away from it I get, the less I care. I very much doubt I will see its sequel unless there is a LOT of buzz that gives me reason to believe it somehow justifies the unresolved, scattershot nature of the first film. But honestly, I probably won't care. I do not and cannot throw suspension of belief on a petri dish being poured into a river that creates the human race.

Although sometimes when I take a good hard look, I can imagine that a few of us humans came from alien ejaculation.

whatevs.

Someone should have shot Ridley while he was ahead. This is what happens when good men get old and think their original ideas were never actualized. As a commenter at the link above suggests, is Scott the new George Lucas?

And now I can't even remember what thread I'm in. Alien, Prometheus, Blade Runner. I guess they always were the same thing.

What-EVER.

Edited by Persona

Luv ya, Persona. :)

I think, for me, the biggest obstacle to merging the Alien and Blade Runner timelines would be the fact that Blade Runner -- the story set in the 2020s -- refers to how the replicants have worked in other planetary systems, while Prometheus -- the Alien prequel set in the 2090s -- seems to be about mankind's first visit to another system. Or was it only about mankind's first visit to a *populated* system? I can't remember...

THE LINGUISTICS OF PROMETHEUS – WHAT DAVID SAYS TO THE ENGINEER

The ‘Professor’ in the clip is in fact the real-life linguistics consultant used for the film and taught Michael Fassbender (David) the dialogue. I managed to track down the consultant, a Dr. Anil Biltoo of the SOAS Language Centre in London, to see if he could shed some light on the mysterious final scene. He was most helpful and provided the following . . .

The Bioscopist, June 20

Finally saw this. After the emphasis David put on the Peter O'Toole quote explaining his "trick" of extinguishing the match with his fingers, "The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts" and then his comment to Shaw, "...doesn't everyone want their parents dead," I was kinda wishing his statement to the engineer was something like: "It's against my programing to directly harm the old geezer standing next to me, but if you'd be so kind as to rip my head off and beat him to death with it, I'd be much obliged. I know it'll hurt, but I don't mind."

Posted (edited)

Ok, I finally watched this, getting ready to see the new movie tomorrow. It's...kind of a mess, right? I liked the first fifteen  or twenty minutes a lot, and the last five or so are fine, but everything in between is such a slog. 

It's pretty, though. I'll give it that. And I suspect the Big Questions it asks, underneath all the nonsense, are more interesting than anything in, say, Interstellar.  

Edited by NBooth

For a long time, this was one of my late-night when-I-feel-like-going-to-sleep-but-not-quite-yet go-to movies. It *looks* great, it *sounds* great (I do like the score), but it's filled with such utterly stupid characters that I don't feel guilty at all if I fall asleep in the middle of it.

12 hours ago, NBooth said:

Ok, I finally watched this, getting ready to see the new movie tomorrow. It's...kind of a mess, right? I liked the first fifteen  or twenty minutes a lot, and the last five or so are fine, but everything in between is such a slog. 

Yeah, the biggest problem with this film is that it's mostly kind of boring.