Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Lake

New Innocence Mission CD

There is simply not another band whose albums I look forward to more than The Innocence Mission.

Coming in June, and purported to have more piano and organ than recent IM works, My Room in the Trees... (I love it when Karen plays piano) <ahttp://artsandfaith.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> http://www.theinnocencemission.com/

(Please, God, may their tour come to Albuquerque.)

Edited by Christopher Lake

There is simply not another band whose albums I look forward to more than The Innocence Mission.

Coming in June, and purported to have more piano and organ than recent IM works, My Room in the Trees... (I love it when Karen plays piano) <ahttp://artsandfaith.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> http://www.theinnocencemission.com/

They're high on my list too, although recent albums they've been sounding more like a "brand" and less like a "band." I remember the days when their music surprised me.

You hope their tour comes to Albuquerque. I hope they tour... period. They haven't been out on the road in a very long time, IIRC.

IIRC, they did not even play a single show to support their last album - some were scheduled but then cancelled. I'm hoping their new stuff isn't as bland as their last few releases, which are virtually indistinguishable to me. I miss the days of their first 4 albums which are so distinctly different from one another.

I miss the days of their first 4 albums which are so distinctly different from one another.

Me too. I love their recent albums too, in the way that I welcome old friends who are comforting and joyful. But they've lacked a spark of inspiration or a sense that the artists are growing and changing. They feel "settled" in a comfortable, enjoyable kind of way. But I do hope they're not finished exploring new territory.

We also have to keep in mind... Don and Karen are raising kids, and I'm sure that's Priority One, far above developing as artists. And insofar as they've got their priorities straight, I'm quite content to hear whatever they can manage to record.

Heh. Pure coincidence, I assure you Jeff, but as I was reading your post, I was listening to one of Fleming & John's albums, and the lyrics that coincided with my reading of your post were: "I gotta tell you how I'm feeling, I think that you'll agree that we've become predictable, but I really don't mind being this comfortable." Make of that what you will. :)

They're high on my list too, although recent albums they've been sounding more like a "brand" and less like a "band." I remember the days when their music surprised me.

You hope their tour comes to Albuquerque. I hope they tour... period. They haven't been out on the road in a very long time, IIRC.

I hear you, Jeffrey, on both counts. Their last full-length did surprise me a bit-- in how it was even more stark and subdued than their earlier two CDs, which were pretty subdued themselves. I would LOVE for them to get some of "pep" back that they had on Umbrella or Glow, but if they are just in a more "calm" place in their lives now, I'm ok with that. You're right that calmness doesn't have to preclude musical creativity and growth though.

I was under the impression that they did tour for the last album; I was mistaken. The reason I want them to come to Albuquerque is that, even if they do tour, with my physical disability and related transportation problems, if they don't come to Albuquerque, I will almost certainly never see them live. The Lost Dogs did come to ABQ, and because I didn't know of anyone who was interested enough to go with me (I'm physically unable to drive), I couldn't go to see them.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up their past show dates. They haven't really gone out on a proper tour since '96. After that they took a 3 year break *, then from '99 to '04 they only ever played strings of 2-3 shows (probably weekends) here & there. During that period, Chicago, IL was the furthest west and Alexandria, VA the furthest south they travelled. They played their last regular show in Sept '04 in PA & then a radio show in Feb '05, but nothing since then. Four shows (NY, PA, MA) in '07 were scheduled, but then later canceled.

Most of the fans would really love it if they went out on a tour that extended beyond a few spot dates on the east coast, but I'd be really surprised if that actually happened while they still have young families and other priorities.

Don occasionally played solo shows in & around Lancaster, PA (his solo stuff, not innocence mission songs), but I haven't heard about any in a few years. Mike is slightly more active, playing bass with local bands and artists here & there.

* I thought for sure they played 2-3 Lilith fair shows around '98, but I may be mistaken as nothing is listed for that year.

Edited by PrivateStorm

Persona   

There's drums on it! Hallelujah.

please please please come to Grand Rapids or Chicago or someplace near me. Or even Molina, or Beloit! I would travel to Beloit to see IM.

Edit: Both songs have drums! And they really sound worked through quite well! Very nice!

Edited by Persona

rjkolb   

Wow! The songs are very good and God is Love is available now as well. Stef it also has drums. I think this may be the best stuff they have done in a long while.

the happy Mondays, we blow down alleyways

in our raincoats, in afternoons

the imaginary dogs beside us

are old friends

Edited by rjkolb

My copy of this CD has arrived. It's very lovely. Yes, it sticks very much to the same aesthetic of their last few albums, and no, there are no risks here, whatsoever. And yet, I think this is their strongest set since Befriended. The songs here grab me more than the ones on the last couple of albums, for whatever reason, and while everything here sounds like The Innocence Mission, it is also their best-sounding record in a while: The production is particularly warm and intimate, and their sonic palette is broader than usual, with a greater emphasis on piano and organ and melodica, as well as strings. It's not revolutionary-- but it is very beautiful.

I agree that this is the best-sounding Innocence Mission album in a while. And it's unique in its thematic cohesion... feeling almost like a series of freewrites from Karen's journal through a rainy season. Few bands I know allow their songs to fill up with such a palpable sense of mystery. Their restraint here is admirable... giving lines like "God is love / and love will never fail me" that much more resonance when they occur. Let's face it: What singers could sing that line without inducing groans and shrugs? When Karen sings it, I feel a sense of awe.

What I wouldn't give for a tour...

Persona   

I have thoroughly enjoyed this one while falling asleep at night. Agree about Karen's ability to put the reality of her faith in a way that we don't shrug off but resonate with. But there's a bass line smack dab in the middle that I don't jive with, and it usually wakes me up.