Sign in to follow this  
mrmando

"Sunday Morning" trailer

It looks as though we no longer have a Humor forum, so here is the next best place for this.

Great eh? I got off of Anglicanbeachparty's blog. He, of course is using it as exhibit #1 for why he is a high church Anglican. So help me out here. Would y'all describe this as a great sendup of emergent worship form? Pomo hip irony turning on itself (my first inclination, but emergents and christian pomos take themselves too seriously to laugh at themselves. I mean, REALLY and seriously laugh and send themselves up)? Most anti-emergerent evangelicals don't have the production values and weltschmertz to pull this off either. Any ideas?

Heh, "Papyrus Font Award" "Informally Dressed Pastors Award" "Edgy T-Shirt Award" Right between the ribs making this even more of a sendup, if you ask me. Again, how to classify?

Rich Kennedy wrote:

: So help me out here. Would y'all describe this as a great sendup of emergent worship form?

I have no idea what "emergent" worship is like, but this video seems a lot like some of the regular evangelical services I attended before I left that scene in the mid- to late 1990s. Brett McCracken seems to point in the same direction in a comment that he posted at Rod Dreher's blog:

3) The "Sunday's Coming" video presents an interesting case-in-point for what I am arguing as a definition of hipster Christianity. Clearly the video hit home with many evangelicals, because it so aptly captured the decidedly un-cool/formulaic/lame nature of the average evangelical "wannabe cool" church today. Evangelicals laughed and passed it around because they could collectively identity and purge their shame of having been associated with such ridiculousness. It allowed people to point a critical finger at something both familiar and "other," while simultaneously allowing them to derive a satisfied sense of "we have moved on from that now" elitist amusement. "Hipster Christianity" is similarly self-aware and "we are beyond that" elitist, reacting against the evangelical tendencies to try so hard to be cool. They are NATURALLY cool, they will argue, denying "hipster Christian" labels at all cost because to be implicated as such is to be called out as just the most recent manifestation of evangelical Christianity's long and sordid search for cultural relevance or "cool."

So in the case of "Sunday's Coming," it's not the subject matter of the video that represents hipster Christianity (quite the opposite actually), but rather the way in which the video was consumed, passed along, and processed by young Christians (mostly evangelicals) desperate to distance themselves from stodgy megachurch/mainstream Christianity. Christian hipster evangelicals are leaving the "Sunday's Coming" type churches and going to Presbyterian, Anglican, Orthodox, or even Catholic churches... looking for something older and stable and less susceptible to fickle trendiness -- a place where "hipster" identity doesn't conflict or have any bearing on "Christian" identity, to go back to some of Rod's points about Catholic and Orthodox hipsters having a strict separation between their religious and sartorial identities.

Brett expands on those thoughts a bit here.

Hilarious. I have definitely seen places like that, but the video seems like it would have been more comtemporvent eight or ten years ago. I don't make it out to these places anymore, so I could be wrong about that. But it really reminds me of Axis at Willowcreek.

What's the bass players shirt say? It's got a Cubs logo, but it doesn't look like a Cubs shirt...

I think McCracken nailed it. All the hipsters I know got into "house" churches and the like or "high church" stuff. This reminds me more of the evangelical churches that hipsters showed nothing but disdain for.

What's the bass players shirt say? It's got a Cubs logo, but it doesn't look like a Cubs shirt...

It is a Cubs shirt. An interesting one too. I'm a student of archaic sports symbols and logos. Ever see that ancient Cubs cap from the early 1900's (heh, back when the Cubbies were actually competitive for NL campionships)?

The bassists's shirt looks like that Cub with the bat standing on the present "C" logo. By far the coolest shirt in the video including the keyboardist's vintage 'Stones T.

Edited by Rich Kennedy