Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Hipster Christianity

472 posts in this topic

I sometimes fear for their ability to earn a living, but that's not really a fear limited to hipsters these days.

Heh, I acknowledge the universal element here. Come to think of it, the '70;'s were a lot like that too. That being said, Old farts like us back then felt EXACTLY the same about us, hipster or not.

They care passionately about art, which makes me extremely happy. Some of that is the usual reaction to what has come before, and a desire to claim their own heroes. But the tendency isn't nearly as pronounced as it used to be. I'm not sure what kind of cultural "rebellion" is going on when some hip twentysomething claims to love Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix, and Animal Collective, but I'll take it. And that makes me think that the non-conformity angle has been overplayed.

I second that affirmation. Who/what is Animal Collective again? Otherwise, I like that aspect.

... which might have been the inspiration for the Non-Conformist's Oath! Steve Martin would lead the audience in repeating this oath, line by line, during his late-70s live shows:

I promise to be different!

I promise to be unique!

I promise not to repeat things other people say!

YES! How did you know? I didn't think you'd have been old enough. That is an alltime great bit.

Although I think manufactured rebellion is part of the equation, I'm not sure it's the most important consideration in understanding hipsters or hipster churches. What about good, old-fashioned aesthetic excellence? How does that factor in?

Well it depends. In a lot of cases aesthetic excellence still doesn't factor in at all. (eg Owl City fans!) Another example: Mars Hill Seattle's attempt at aping NW indie rock styles is as aesthetically shallow and embarrassing as DC talk aping Nirvana in 1995. In other cases the aesthetics are richer and more developed but that's used as a shield to defend themselves against an insecurity about middle-class-respectability. And in the best cases, people are engaging culture, theology, and politics all with depth and critical thought, fresh eyes, open minds, and historical perspective.

I guess what I'm reacting against is the tendency of a certain subset of what-i-guess-we-can-go-ahead-and-keep-calling-"Christian-Hipsters" to differentiate themselves from the problems of the evangelical mainstream through their tasteful progressive consumer choices rather than through differences in theology, ecclesiology, politics, etc.

There are some crucial differences in this new generation of Christian hipsters. They have, for the most part, rejected the idea of an alternative Christian culture. I don't know anyone in my current church who gives a rip about CCM, although most of them are huge music fans. They tend be more holistic human beings than the Jesus Freaks, and place much less emphais on "soul winning" and a lot more emphasis on caring for the planet and for the people who live on it. They are far more focused on issues and local activism and far less inclined to believe that solutions can come from elected officials. They are highly attuned to emotional and spiritual manipulation, and they are deeply distrustful of major media figures everywhere unless they are named Bono. They have a healthy understanding of and appreciation for irony, a talent that for many years I believed was supernaturally removed upon Christian conversion. In general, I think these are positive changes.

...sure, these are mostly positive developments. But those folks are but one subset of this broader phenomenon.

Edited by Holy Moly!

... which might have been the inspiration for the Non-Conformist's Oath! Steve Martin would lead the audience in repeating this oath, line by line, during his late-70s live shows:

I promise to be different!

I promise to be unique!

I promise not to repeat things other people say!

Or this:

Brian: Look, you’ve got it all wrong! You don’t need to follow me, You don’t need to follow anybody! You’ve got to think for yourselves! You’re all individuals!

Crowd: Yes! We’re all individuals!

Brian: You’re all different!

Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Man: I'm not

Matt

So, Brett McCracken had an article in the Wall Street Journal:

'How can we stop the oil gusher?" may have been the question of the summer for most Americans. Yet for many evangelical pastors and leaders, the leaking well is nothing compared to the threat posed by an ongoing gusher of a different sort: Young people pouring out of their churches, never to return.

As a 27-year-old evangelical myself, I understand the concern. My peers, many of whom grew up in the church, are losing interest in the Christian establishment.

Increasingly, the "plan" has taken the form of a total image overhaul, where efforts are made to rebrand Christianity as hip, countercultural, relevant. As a result, in the early 2000s, we got something called "the emerging church"—a sort of postmodern stab at an evangelical reform movement. Perhaps because it was too "let's rethink everything" radical, it fizzled quickly. But the impulse behind it—to rehabilitate Christianity's image and make it "cool"—remains.

He goes on to say:

There are various ways that churches attempt to be cool. For some, it means trying to seem more culturally savvy. The pastor quotes Stephen Colbert or references Lady Gaga during his sermon, or a church sponsors a screening of the R-rated "No Country For Old Men." For others, the emphasis is on looking cool, perhaps by giving the pastor a metrosexual makeover, with skinny jeans and an $80 haircut, or by insisting on trendy eco-friendly paper and helvetica-only fonts on all printed materials. Then there is the option of holding a worship service in a bar or nightclub (as is the case for L.A.'s Mosaic church, whose downtown location meets at a nightspot called Club Mayan).

And that's the paragraph that concerns me.

Lauren Winner's book Real Sex has nothing to do with an attempt to be cool. Lauren speaks frankly, but she's writing personal reflections on a subject well worth discussing. I know Lauren, and she does not fit this description of "cool-seeking" at all.

What is more: I started a film discussion group in my church and we watched R-rated films from time to time. This had nothing to do with an attempt to be cool. It had to do with my desire to have a thoughtful discussion of movies among my fellow churchgoers who were interested. I see things like this happening all the time.

I know there are churches doing ridiculous things in an attempt to appear hip and "relevant." But these are broad-stroke statements that seem dismissive of what many people are doing well -- like encouraging dialogue about spiritual matters in the pop-culture parlance of their times; or choosing "green" materials for church bulletins because they feel compelled to be good stewards of God's gifts; or inviting people to worship in an empty nightclub because that is where a lot of needy people would be blessed to find Christian community and worship.

I hope that when I read his book I'll find that he is much, much more careful than this. It's one thing to point out that Christians should be careful not to succumb to forces of superficiality and style. (He's right, that a lot of people are coming to church looking for "real" over "cool.") It's another thing to judge a book by its cover, and say that a book like Real Sex or a church-basement screening of a Coen Brothers movie is some cheap attempt to make church look cool.

Edited by Overstreet

Perhaps Mega-church pastors are given makeovers, but, as often as not, people like Rob Bell grow their own churches, nt by going for tagged on gimmicks, but by being who they are and appealing to people who are either like that, or, at least, appreciate that more than the existing options.

Matt

Overstreet wrote:

: Lauren Winner's book Real Sex has nothing to do with an attempt to be cool. Lauren speaks frankly, but she's writing personal reflections on a subject well worth discussing. I know Lauren, and she does not fit this description of "cool-seeking" at all.

Perhaps not. But there is Lauren herself, and then there is the publisher who pays her to write that book, and then there is the evangelical readership to whom that book is marketed. It's been a while since that book came out, and I never got around to reading it myself (though I do remember her controversial article for Beliefnet about the sex lives of single evangelicals, which would have been, what, almost a decade ago now?), but I think it would certainly be feasible for McCracken to comment on the book's place within the Christian publishing industry without necessarily critiquing the book itself.

Mind you, my initial reaction to the excerpt you posted here was to wonder how different any of this is from the evangelical subculture's efforts to be marketable and cutting-edge back in the '70s and '80s. Didn't Tim and Beverly LaHaye write books and give seminars back then on the need for Christians to have great sex lives?

So, Brett McCracken had an article in the Wall Street Journal:

'How can we stop the oil gusher?" may have been the question of the summer for most Americans. Yet for many evangelical pastors and leaders, the leaking well is nothing compared to the threat posed by an ongoing gusher of a different sort: Young people pouring out of their churches, never to return.

As a 27-year-old evangelical myself, I understand the concern. My peers, many of whom grew up in the church, are losing interest in the Christian establishment.

Increasingly, the "plan" has taken the form of a total image overhaul, where efforts are made to rebrand Christianity as hip, countercultural, relevant. As a result, in the early 2000s, we got something called "the emerging church"—a sort of postmodern stab at an evangelical reform movement. Perhaps because it was too "let's rethink everything" radical, it fizzled quickly. But the impulse behind it—to rehabilitate Christianity's image and make it "cool"—remains.

He goes on to say:

There are various ways that churches attempt to be cool. For some, it means trying to seem more culturally savvy. The pastor quotes Stephen Colbert or references Lady Gaga during his sermon, or a church sponsors a screening of the R-rated "No Country For Old Men." For others, the emphasis is on looking cool, perhaps by giving the pastor a metrosexual makeover, with skinny jeans and an $80 haircut, or by insisting on trendy eco-friendly paper and helvetica-only fonts on all printed materials. Then there is the option of holding a worship service in a bar or nightclub (as is the case for L.A.'s Mosaic church, whose downtown location meets at a nightspot called Club Mayan).

And that's the paragraph that concerns me.

Lauren Winner's book Real Sex has nothing to do with an attempt to be cool. Lauren speaks frankly, but she's writing personal reflections on a subject well worth discussing. I know Lauren, and she does not fit this description of "cool-seeking" at all.

What is more: I started a film discussion group in my church and we watched R-rated films from time to time. This had nothing to do with an attempt to be cool. It had to do with my earnest desire to cultivate a thoughtful discussion of art among my fellow churchgoers who were interested. I see things like this happening all the time.

I don't doubt that there *are* churches doing ridiculous things in an attempt to appear hip and "relevant." But these are broad-stroke statements that resound with judgmentalism for a lot of people who are doing good things -- like encouraging dialogue about spiritual matters in the pop-culture parlance of their times; or choosing "green" materials for church bulletins because they feel compelled to be good stewards of God's gifts; or inviting people to worship in an empty nightclub because that is where a lot of needy people would be blessed to find Christian community and worship.

I hope that when I read his book I'll find that he is much, much more careful than this. It's one thing to point out that Christians should be careful not to succumb to forces of superficiality and style. (He's right, that a lot of people are coming to church looking for "real" over "cool.") It's another thing to judge a book by its cover, and say that a book like Real Sex or a church-basement screening of a Coen Brothers movie is some cheap attempt to make church look cool.

Exactly. My concern with the whole hipster Christian spin is that it potentially trivializes some very significant issues. A desire for authentic community, for example, is not the equivalent of kids looking for the latest "in" group. The fact that the kids may have tattoos and piercings is neither here nor there. It's simply a fashion trend. But the underlying motive -- a deep longing for connectedness -- is good and noble and worth pursuing. The hipster Christian spin encourages a shallow, superficial view of such proceedings. We ought to be more nuanced than that.

Another very egregious oversight of that editorial is locating the "emerging" and "emergent" church in a desire to be hip or cool. That is very poor legwork. Like it or not, the emerging church is actually the evangelical manifestation of some very serious theological reformation that had until then gone on in academic and mainline protestant circles. The Emerging Church simply has the reputation of being on of the worst appropriations of these contemporary currents.

The emerging church is thus somewhat different from the "evangelical subculture's efforts to be marketable and cutting-edge back in the '70s and '80s." (quoting PTC) But even then, it is arguable that hippie movements in the evangelical fringes in the 70s were more a result of the blossoming of protestant liberalism as described by Tillich and others than it was a desire "to be cool." Even then, many of those movements were intensely political in the Sermon on the Mount sense, and presaged the recent resurgence of interest in Anabaptism as a more ethical or just form of Christian faith and practice.

In short, we need a good rebuttal editorial.

Edited by M. Leary

87 / 120

High CHQ. You are a pretty progressive, stylish, hipster-leaning Christian, even while you could easily feel at home in a decidedly un-hip non-denominational church. You are conservative on some issues and liberal on others, and sometimes you grow weary of trendy "alt-Christianity." But make no mistake: You are a Christian hipster to at least some degree.

The stylish part makes me giggle. And the picture of his website with the Vigilantes of Love/Over the Rhine poster made me curious enough to place a hold on the book at the library. I'm curious to see what his conclusions are after poking fun at "hipster-learning" fools like me.

Your Christian Hipster Quotient:

75 / 120

High CHQ. You are a pretty progressive, stylish, hipster-leaning Christian, even while you could easily feel at home in a decidedly un-hip non-denominational church. You are conservative on some issues and liberal on others, and sometimes you grow weary of trendy "alt-Christianity." But make no mistake: You are a Christian hipster to at least some degree.

As always there are numerous questions where none of the answers suit me. But I still get 76? Gutted.

Matt

Edited by MattPage

The NY Times says the word "hipster" is over.

...with so many appearances, I’m not sure how precise a meaning it conveys. It may still be useful occasionally, but let’s look for alternatives and try to give it some rest.
Edited by Overstreet

So McCracken's book about hipster Christianity is, itself, yet another example of Christendom cashing in on a trend just as the outside world has had its fill of it? :)

In other news, there's this blog post at Killing the Buddha:

If you didn’t get enough Jay Bakker from Joseph Huff-Hannon’s “Happy Hour Gospel” last week, be sure to check out our friend Nicole Greenfield’s new essay at Religion Dispatches: “
” . . .

In other hipster-y news, there’s
about the following: “True or false: Until rather recently, calling yourself an atheist was something like calling yourself, today, a ‘hipster’; you may have been, but you wouldn’t admit it, either to yourself or to anyone else.” Inevitably, it has turned into a bit of a food-fight in the atheism wars.

Shades of Life of Brian: "Only the true hipster denies his hipsterness!"

Another very egregious oversight of that editorial is locating the "emerging" and "emergent" church in a desire to be hip or cool. That is very poor legwork. Like it or not, the emerging church is actually the evangelical manifestation of some very serious theological reformation that had until then gone on in academic and mainline protestant circles. The Emerging Church simply has the reputation of being on of the worst appropriations of these contemporary currents.

The emerging church is thus somewhat different from the "evangelical subculture's efforts to be marketable and cutting-edge back in the '70s and '80s." (quoting PTC) But even then, it is arguable that hippie movements in the evangelical fringes in the 70s were more a result of the blossoming of protestant liberalism as described by Tillich and others than it was a desire "to be cool." Even then, many of those movements were intensely political in the Sermon on the Mount sense, and presaged the recent resurgence of interest in Anabaptism as a more ethical or just form of Christian faith and practice.

In short, we need a good rebuttal editorial.

Well, this WSJ piece confirms McCracken doesn't have room for the possibility that there's anything fundamentally askew about evangelical theology as it currently exists in the USA. He's dismissive of any attempt to reinvigorate social justice traditions in Christianity precisely because it's at odds with his political paradigm. He has no interest in actually listening to what people's concerns are. Woe to those who take this guy's analysis seriously!

Edited by Holy Moly!

Oh boy, a real heavyweight on all things evangelical weighs in on what he has declared the "McCrackenverse":

Wait, wait. We're talking about books … that prove what? Every workday, new books written by evangelicals (or writers with a strong affinity for evangelicals, whether or not they self-identify as such) appear on my desk. These books take up an enormous range of subjects. A few of them, yes, are about sex. And this is supposed to be evidence for some striking trend? (I wonder whatever happened to my copy of Total Woman.) By the way, why are these two books in particular said to be representative of the frantic, ill-conceived "plan" to keep young people in the fold? As I read them, Bell's and Winner's books are both deeply informed by Scripture and grounded in the life of the church.

Where is McCracken going with all this? What insight is he leading up to? This:

If the evangelical Christian leadership [there they are again, that mysterious mafia!] thinks that "cool Christianity" is a sustainable path forward, they are severely mistaken. As a twentysomething, I can say with confidence that when it comes to church, we don't want cool as much as we want real.

"We want real": The combination of pretension and naïveté in this declaration is stunning, but it is par for the course, so to speak, in the McCrackenverse.

And this sentiment has been expressed repeatedly in this section at A&F over the years. What is the ticket price for a trip through the McCrackenverse? A total loss of historical consciousness.

Edited by M. Leary

Your Christian Hipster Quotient: 71 / 120

and, ouch: http://www.hipsterchristianity.com/anatomy.php

and, ouch: http://www.hipsterch...com/anatomy.php

fwiw, i got 79/120, with the same description as you.

I *love* those "Anatomy" pics and commentary - hilarious! (I can see myself in all of them, really, though probably most in the bookish intellectual and arty types. :))

I scored a 79 as well. I am inconsolable. Shouldn't a hearing aid count for points off? Where was the hearing aid question?

e2c wrote:

: I still believe that his take on marketing is on the money (pun intended). He was talking about the titles of those books, about how their respective publishers are using the titles to shock, or titillate (maybe). So... I think, on that level, that it's not at all unfair to compare them to some of Mark Driscoll's more explicit (and, imo, *very* poorly presented) sex sermons.

:

: Do I think Winner's book is anything like Driscoll's sex rants? Of course not! (for one thing, she's very tasteful...)

Like I say, I haven't read Winner's book, but I think it would be fair to say that there was a "shock tactic" element to the Beliefnet article of hers that, on some level at least, eventually led to that book. The article certainly sent shock waves of a sort through the evangelical punditry of that time. (Rather than link to the original articles, I'll link to this piece from five years later, in which one of Winner's former critics describes her subsequent change of mind and their eventual reconciliation. Oh, and I see that Winner's website itself quotes the Real Sex press release to the effect that she is a "new breed of public intellectual: young, hip, and vocal about her Christian beliefs". Would being "hip" automatically make her a "hipster", or is some other special ingredient required?)

Jesus said shocking things all the time. Hipster. Shameful, that he would be young, intellectual, and stoop to trying to be cool with raw, controversial words, instead of giving people what was real.

And what about that Apostle Paul, quoting the popular poetry of the day just to draw people toward the truth? Heck, today he might lead a discussion of No Country for Old Men. Embarrassing.

Okay, that's snarky. But I guess I'm just not seeing the problem with speaking in a striking, new, challenging way that connects with the important concerns of one's culture.

Now, if somebody's acting like, say, the principal in Saved - who in a spectacularly awkward way is trying to co-opt young people's lingo in a way that is false and self-serving - that's something else. But what is shocking about Lauren Winner is that she's blunt and unnervingly confessional in her writing and speaking. She just gave a lecture at the Glen Workshop drawing from her upcoming book about her divorce, her heartbreak, her failures, and the incredibly mean-spirited behavior of Christians around her through that ordeal. It was the farthest thing from an attempt to be cool. It was a meaningful confession and a revealing testimony.

But she has those funky horn-rimmed glasses. Hipster.

Edited by Overstreet

And what about that Apostle Paul, quoting the popular poetry of the day just to draw people toward the truth? Heck, today he might lead a discussion of No Country for Old Men. Embarrassing.

Given that Brett leads film discussion groups, I am not sure this is something he has a problem with.

But it is hard to tell, isn't it? Because this book is confusing. No, that isn't correct. This book is confused. And this may not be Brett's fault, as his book seems to be a standard product of the confusion inherent to evangelicalism's attempt to both remain faithful to the big ETS Two and adapt to culture at the same time. The Evangelical identity has always been marked by this confusing tension. (Which is not a bad thing, I don't think that struggling to maintain two seemingly irreconcilable ideals at the same time is something to be criticized.) I think the pretension that Wilson correctly identifies comes from neglecting the fact that this confusion is the very essence of evangelicalism.

An honest evangelicalism would always preface itself with something like: "Dear reader, due to our ongoing attempt at being a via media between fundamentalism and mid-century Protestant liberalism, any ecclesial introspection or cultural criticism we produce is only provisional. It is subject to the historical process by which we are forced to identify ourselves relative to the conservative and liberal excesses we struggle to avoid - and that are themselves constantly changing."

Edited by M. Leary

and, ouch: http://www.hipsterch...com/anatomy.php

fwiw, i got 79/120, with the same description as you.

I *love* those "Anatomy" pics and commentary - hilarious! (I can see myself in all of them, really, though probably most in the bookish intellectual and arty types. :))

i'm curious as to how one would need to answer in order to get a perfect score -- i'm going to try... ::w00t::

Overstreet wrote:

: Jesus said shocking things all the time.

But did he say, "I'm living in sin and so are a lot of my fellow Jews and you guys just have to deal with it"? Because that IS, more or less, what Winner's original Beliefnet article said. Apparently Winner came to regret that article by the time her book came out a few years later -- hence the reconciliation article written by one of her more high-profile former critics -- but, still, a few years is only a few years. On the one hand, it was inevitable that people would link the book and the article as points on a trajectory (and very close points, at that), and on the other hand, the casual observer can't help but wonder how much of the impetus to shock that lay behind the original article might still be present in the book.

: She just gave a lecture at the Glen Workshop drawing from her upcoming book about her divorce, her heartbreak, her failures, and the incredibly mean-spirited behavior of Christians around her through that ordeal.

Wow, sorry to hear about that.

M. Leary wrote:

: But it is hard to tell, isn't it? Because this book is confusing. No, that isn't correct. This book is confused. And this may not be Brett's fault, as his book seems to be a standard product of the confusion inherent to evangelicalism's attempt to both remain faithful to the big ETS Two and adapt to culture at the same time. The Evangelical identity has always been marked by this confusing tension. (Which is not a bad thing, I don't think that struggling to maintain two seemingly irreconcilable ideals at the same time is something to be criticized.) I think the pretension that Wilson correctly identifies comes from neglecting the fact that this confusion is the very essence of evangelicalism.

Interesting.

: An honest evangelicalism would always preface itself with something like: "Dear reader, due to our ongoing attempt at being a via media between fundamentalism and mid-century Protestant liberalism, any ecclesial introspection or cultural criticism we produce is only provisional. It is subject to the historical process by which we are forced to identify ourselves relative to the conservative and liberal excesses we struggle to avoid - and that are themselves constantly changing."

Oh gosh, this reminds me of something I said recently -- in one of the other A&F threads, I think? -- about politicians who insist that they are in "the centre" between two extremes, as though the centre were not always moving this way and that depending on how the extremes tug at it.

"The combination of pretension and naïveté in this declaration is stunning, but it is par for the course, so to speak, in the McCrackenverse."

Brutal, but spot on. "We want real" sounds so much like Cameron Strang!

e2c wrote:

: I dunno; I just don't see any criticism of either Winner or Bell as authors (or as people, for that matter) in the piece.

Agreed. I think it also bears mentioning that "hipster" is not necessarily a pejorative term here; it is merely descriptive. If McCracken DID think "hipster" was an insult, he presumably wouldn't be applying the term to HIMSELF. But he does, so there you go.

I don't see anything in McCracken's piece saying that Winner herself is shocking. he seems to be after the sales and marketing people who come up with "provocative" titles like Sex God.

I think focusing on this misses the point. This is one thread of a number of arguments in the book that John Wilson is particularly (probably more than anyone I can think of) adept at critiquing. One key feature of bad sociology is a reliance on cumulative arguments to validate sweeping generalizations about a given people group. Hipster Christianity abounds with this kind of reasoning, and Wilson just plucked at one of the threads.

Edited by M. Leary