Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J.A.A. Purves

The Lost City of Z (2016)

11 posts in this topic

A James Gray film fan, I heard earlier that this was in the works. Meant to post the news from firstshowing.net on here earlier as I can't seem to find anything at Arts and Faith on it yet.

We haven't heard much about this since, but ScreenDaily has an article saying that "buyers have been flocking to" The Lost City of Z at the market in Cannes and that the "red-hot adventure project" may even be Pitt's next film once he finishes Bennett Miller's Moneyball movie. The trade doesn't have much news to report on its development, but Inferno Entertainment recently came aboard as an international sales agent. It's to be "styled in the vein of Lawrence of Arabia which means it'll be a vast and epic Amazonian adventure, but beyond that we don't know much about the script or the budget they're looking for. Considering they're trying to get buyers in Cannes, it doesn't sound like this will have a huge budget, but you never know (look at Alejandro Amenabar's Agora). We're hoping for the best with this and I really do hope Pitt shoots this following Moneyball, as it's one adaptation I can't wait to see.

Grann's book focuses on the British explorer Colonel Percy Fawcett, who went searching for the so-called City of Z in the Amazon, but mysteriously disappeared in 1925. Over the last 80 years, countless explorers have tried and failed to retrace Fawcett's path, including a 1996 expedition of Brazilian adventurers. He is said to have been an inspiration for Indiana Jones and other fictional archaeologists. No one knows what happened to him, which makes me wonder if this script will eventually have Fawcett discover the City of Z (and whoever is there), but still have him die or stay forever. We will definitely keep you updated on this.

Benedict Cumberbatch is appearing in some of my home movies this year.

Over five years later, but now actually filming.  No Brad Pitt.  No Benedict Cumberbatch.

Now with Charlie Hunnam, Robert Pattinson, Sienna Miller and Angus Macfadyen.

It looks like there might be some great photography in that film, but the colour grading is getting in the way (at least in this trailer).

Loved it.

This is very, very good. My review.

Between this and The Immigrant, Gray's signature is in composing wondrous, perfect final shots. Any of his other films have this quality to them in the last frame? I've only seen We Own the Night, and can't recall the final moments (can't recall much of that film, actually).