Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work

Jeffrey Wells posted on this documentary, which did boffo numbers this past weekend in limited release. Wells actually reposted something he'd written earlier about the film, but I gotta say, the doc has been off my radar until a preview played before Friday night's showing of Ondine.

Like Wells, I'd pretty much given up on Rivers, but the preview brought back memories of when I was a young teen, watching her on Carson and then her own late-night show on Fox. She could be screamingly funny, and the preview has me thinking this film might be worth a look.

Any other back-in-the-day fans of Rivers out there?

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I have a chance to see this on Saturday, and I want to, but I think I'm going to opt for something else. It just seems like the perfect date film. Hopefully it will still be around by the time we get our schedules together.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Watching it now. It's funny, but kind of ... gross. Why am I surprised? The preview was hysterical; the film itself is more sad than funny. That's part of the point -- Rivers has had some major ups and downs -- but I didn't expect to feel depressed while watching this.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I am a fan of Joan Rivers from when she was permanent guest host on Carson. She was quick, witty, dry, and self-effacing my favorite kind of comedian. I was looking forward to this doc for a long time. I was interested in seeing the face behind the "face" - you know, the real face before surgery.

I really liked this documentary. It really is a look into the life of an artist, the work it takes to continue working in your art form, and the insecurities that riddle someone in the spotlight. When people are putting together lists of documentaries about art or artists this should never be left off. It is an intimate look into an artist's life and the role of an artist in society.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]