Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joel C

A Thousand Dreams In One Life - New CD Release

3 posts in this topic

So in the craziness of this last year, including school, work, and traveling, all of which have made my presence here scarce, I have found time to nurture my creative sensibilities. As I've been showing up a little more, it dawned upon me that I've not posted about my latest work. So, without further ado:

4707173873_163f288a0f.jpg

Recently finished sophomore piano album. It's basically the same format as my first CD, The Night As Bright As Day, a collection of original piano pieces.

I really enjoyed seeing this CD come to fruition. It's interesting seeing this as a progression of my sonic sensibilities, as I've been attending Berklee (College of Music, in Boston). Studying composition has definitely honed my harmonic comprehension quite a bit, and it was fun for me to see how this album compares sonically to the first one I released. It's still largely within a tonal framework, though I do explore some modal territory. This time around, I found a good deal of inspiration from Impressionist music, Satie, Debussy, etc. Writing this kind of music keeps me well-balanced while studying composition in the 21st century; while it has been great to utilize modern techniques for independent pieces on the side, I enjoy writing within a relatively tonal mindset for my CD releases. I'm happy to generally let 12-tone writing and the like remain an academic pursuit. :)

You can hear a few of the songs on my virb page; there's also more info (bio, contact, etc), on my website. Do enjoy, and would always love to hear from anyone who has a chance to give it a listen. It is available in hard copy CD form, and It's currently being processed to be released digitally, so keep an eye out for it.

Edited by Joel C

So in the craziness of this last year, including school, work, and traveling, all of which have made my presence here scarce, I have found time to nurture my creative sensibilities. As I've been showing up a little more, it dawned upon me that I've not posted about my latest work. So, without further ado:

4707173873_163f288a0f.jpg

Recently finished sophomore piano album. It's basically the same format as my first CD, The Night As Bright As Day, a collection of original piano pieces.

I really enjoyed seeing this CD come to fruition. It's interesting seeing this as a progression of my sonic sensibilities, as I've been attending Berklee (College of Music, in Boston). Studying composition has definitely honed my harmonic comprehension quite a bit, and it was fun for me to see how this album compares sonically to the first one I released. It's still largely within a tonal framework, though I do explore some modal territory. This time around, I found a good deal of inspiration from Impressionist music, Satie, Debussy, etc. Writing this kind of music keeps me well-balanced while studying composition in the 21st century; while it has been great to utilize modern techniques for independent pieces on the side, I enjoy writing within a relatively tonal mindset for my CD releases. I'm happy to generally let 12-tone writing and the like remain an academic pursuit. :)

You can hear a few of the songs on my virb page; there's also more info (bio, contact, etc), on my website. Do enjoy, and would always love to hear from anyone who has a chance to give it a listen. It is available in hard copy CD form, and It's currently being processed to be released digitally, so keep an eye out for it.

Great cover photo :)

Thanks! I definitely spent more effort this time around of crafting the artwork on the album. I wanted to give a stronger thematic sensibility, and I think the photo helped a lot. I'm really happy with how the cover turned out overall.