Sign in to follow this  
Mike D.

Podcast Recommendations?

Mike D.   

I seem to be listening to less and less music these days. It could be my age, boredom with the current music scene, or just getting more from a good podcast. So I was wondering if there was anybody here that listens to podcasts and if you had anything to recommend? I know this request is pretty generic, but I am open to pretty much any topic: News, culture, arts, spirituality, Canadian news etc. I like listening to This American Life, Christ and Pop Culture, Kindlings Muse, Q podcast, to name a few.

I have a long commute and enjoy listening to podcasts on the way to work and on the way home, so any suggestion is welcome!

Mike

Mike D.   

I've only listened to the American version, but recently noticed that there is a Canadian one too. I will have to give that one a listen. Thanks for the reminder!

Tyler   

The Radiolab Podcast. It does stories in the This American Life vein (TAL has used Radiolab stories a few times, actually), but with a more scientific bent. I like the New Yorker Fiction podcast, too.

Persona   
Marshill.org is where Rob Bell and Shane Hipps' weekly teachings are broadcast out of Grand Rapids. I am a weekly listener, and I even love digging into Rob's series' from years ago. Highly recommended -- here is a link to last week's "The Bud Before The Blossom," and all these are available on iTunes as well. (Just look for the right Mars Hill insignia, that green square with the white circle inside -- don't get it mixed up with Mark Driscoll's "Mars Hill".) Edited by Persona

Joel   

The Moth

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

Selected Shorts

New Yorker Outloud

Wiretap (I can't stress how much I love this show - you have prob heard Jonathan Goldstein on This American Life, this is is show from the CBC)

Sound Opinions (rock & roll talk show!)

I've become kind of a podcast junkie over the past year (which is why I don't listen to much music these days, honestly).

My list: (some have already been mentioned)

This American Life

Fresh Air

NPR Books

New York Times book review

The AV Club's weekly podcast (movie/music/TV show reviews)

DVD Verdict's Friday Filibuster (very fun podcast that revolves around a bunch of movie buffs/geeks talking about, well, movies...my friend Mike is one of the commentators)

Some of the niche, geeky ones I like:

On Board Games (self-explanatory, though it focuses a little too much on how to design board games)

How to Play (...how to play specific board games, with various helpful ideas on how to teach it to people)

The Dice Tower (easily the best board game-related podcast...hilarious)

All Games Consider (role-playing game / board game news, commentary)

MattPage   

I'm sure we had another thread on this one, but apparently not.

I like Mark Goodacre's New Testament podcasts, and I was recently reminded that Mark Kermode / Simon Mayo have a new film releases one as well, that I've decided I need to pay more attention too.

My own has kind of run out of material / time, but for anyone wanting to listen to a series of podcasts on portrayals of Jesus in film it's the place for you...

Matt

Edited by MattPage

FILM

Film Spotting

Criterion Cast

Slash Film (/film)

Creative Screenwriting

Battleship Pretension

FITNESS

The Fitcast

Leigh Peele Fat Loss Troubleshoot

SPIRITUAL

Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast

More than One Lesson (film from a Christian prospective by Tyler Smith of Battleship Pretension)

Renewing Your Mind with RC Sproul

Edited by Backrow Baptist

I have a long commute and enjoy listening to podcasts on the way to work and on the way home, so any suggestion is welcome!

1 - Internet Monk - Michael Spencer - these have ended since Spencer just passed away, but his radio podcasts are still available for download online - incredible cultural commentary on the church and society that actually, for once, has some depth to it

2 - Fighting for the Faith - Chris Rosebrough on Pirate Christian Radio - I take the occasional comment with a grain of salt, but they have discussions here you won't find anywhere else. On the other hand, if you like listening to Rob Bell, you won't like Rosebrough.

3 - Capitol Hill Baptist Church - Mark Dever - Dever's sermons are by far, some of the highest quality sermons to be found online right now.

4 - A Prairie Home Companion - no one's suggested this yet? It's only the best American radio show ever (music, stories, humor, poems, skits & sketches, and Garrison Keillor)

5 - Rush Limbaugh - this guy is still fun to listen to, all the controversy aside, he puts things in a ways that are very hard to disagree with (unlike the copycat/hacks like Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, etc. - all of whom still don't seem to have any PR sense). Unlike every other conservative talk show host, Limbaugh's sense of humor is why I still download and listen to his show after work. There's a reason why other articulate guys like Walter Williams keep appearing on his show too (and the days Williams takes over are some of my favorite moments on the radio - they're priceless).

Mike D.   

Thanks all for the great suggestions! I will be checking these out in the weeks to come. I like the list format everyone is using when making their suggestions, so I will try to do the same. Here are a couple for now:

Daily Plastic (Podcast on film - not much recent activity)

Grammar Girl

Any video podcast recommendations?

A friend of mine started a podcast network and asked me and my friend to contribute some episodes about faith and spirituality in film. First episode is here.

He has some other good shows in the works.

NBooth   

I just started listening to Welcome to Night Vale after Philip Sandifer mentioned it on his blog and one of the commenters observed that the podcast had been mentioned several other places (Fred Clark, NPR, etc). So why not? They're twenty minutes long, formatted like a community radio broadcast from a small desert community where all sorts of paranormal events (often of the Lovecraftian variety) occur with odd regularity. The narrator relays these events in a mostly detached tone, interspersing them with weird moments of philosophizing that sound like something coming from Twin Peak's Log Lady. There are angels (whose existence is denied), dark hooded figures, an underground city beneath the bowling alley.... It's loads of fun. Think Twin Peaks by way of Gravity Falls as narrated by someone from NPR and you've about got it.

Samples (all quotes courtesy TVTropes):

Speaking of the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex, its owner, Teddy Williams, reports that he has found the entrance to a vast underground city in the pin retrieval area of Lane 5. He said he has not yet ventured into it, merely peered down at its strange spires and broad avenues. He also reports voices of a distant crowd in the depths of that subterranean metropolis. Apparently, the entrance was discovered when a bowling bowl accidentally rolled into it, clattering down the city below, with sounds that echoed for miles across the impossibly huge cavern...so, you know, whatever population that city has, they know about us now, and we might be hearing from them soon.

The Boy Scouts of Night Vale have announced some slight changes to their hierarchy, which will now be the follow: Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Eagle Scout, Blood Pact Scout, Wyrd Scout, Dreadnought Scout, Dark Scout, Fear Scout, and finally, Eternal Scout.

--though, of course, the delivery is as important as the actual words.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth   

Shameless plug here, but at UA we have a totally unofficial group of grad students who meet up occasionally and record a podcast. Only two so far, but I think the most recent one--on pop culture--is pretty interesting. We're trying to cover a pretty broad range of topics interesting to people in academia or interested in academia. Podcast updates monthly.

Shameless plug here, but at UA we have a totally unofficial group of grad students who meet up occasionally and record a podcast. Only two so far, but I think the most recent one--on pop culture--is pretty interesting. We're trying to cover a pretty broad range of topics interesting to people in academia or interested in academia. Podcast updates monthly.

I think I'll add this to my list, Nathanael! 

My shameless plug: I recently started recording the occasional episode of The Friday Filibuster. Which is really exciting for me, since I've been listening to the Filibuster for about five years and I've become quite the fan. I've been on five episodes since December. The podcast basically revolves around general movie/TV chatter, but really shines in the "ambush topics"—each person comes up with a topic and everyone has to think of an example from TV or film. The topics are all over the map, too, from "musicians who act" to "killer furniture." 

Andrew   

My current favorites:

- Religion for Life - a very thoughtful series done by a local, left-of-center Presbyterian minister

- Brain Science Podcast - some are over my head, others are fascinating - Ginger Campbell, MD (an ER doc) is an excellent interviewer who gives her subjects ample room to talk - Temple Grandin was a recent guest and as delightful as one might imagine

- Books and Ideas - Ginger Campbell's other, more general podcast - interviewees have included sci-fi authors, philosophers, Nobel-winning physicists, biologists, etc.

- The Thin Place - by our very own Ken Morefield

- Fresh Air - of course

I've enjoyed:

Unbelievable? - My favourite apologetics podcast. I don't enjoy apologetics as much as I did three years ago, but the guests are top-notch. They've had atheists/skeptics such as A.C. Grayling and Bart Ehrmann on as well as inter-Christian debates about theology. The most memorable show was when Mark Driscoll was on and he berated the host, who's wife is a pastor.

Thinking In Public - Albert Mohler's show. He always has some interesting interviews discussing new books.

Beeson Podcast - Timothy George is one of my ecumenical heroes and there's a good variety of sermons, interviews and lectures.

NBooth   

From the folks behind This American Life: Serial.

Serial is a new podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial will follow one story - a true story - over the course of a whole season. We'll follow the plot and characters wherever they take us and we won’t know what happens at the end of the story until we get there, not long before you get there with us. Each week we'll bring you the latest chapter, so it's important to listen in order, starting with Episode 1.

The New Yorker has a write-up:

Koenig wants to find the truth, whatever it is, more for human reasons than for legal ones. The team started producing “Serial” without knowing how it would end; in fact, they still don’t know. Earlier, when I had asked Snyder about this, she said, “We don’t know exactly how much we have figured out.” They’ve figured out plenty, but what is the whole truth? And how do you know when you’ve found it? Can it even be found? “We certainly know a lot more than Adnan’s defense attorney knew,” she said. They think that they know at least as much as the prosecutors and the detectives knew. “I would say that it’s possible that we think there are only like two things left to find out. But if we do find those out, then it may turn out that, like, Oh my God, we only knew thirty per cent of this. That’s where we don’t exactly know.”

Edited by NBooth

I'm looking for some podcast recommendations too. I listened to the first episode of Serial and I will continue with that. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a podcast that is dedicated to discussing new Christian scholarly books? There's "New Books in Christian Studies" but it's not all that frequent.

Also, any sermon podcast recommendations? Specifically, 30-45 minutes and intelligent (so many of the podcast recommendations on Dave Ramsey's website stress them being practical).

FYI, the second season of the Serial podcast has begun. It's focused on the story of Bowe Bergdahl, the American soldier who was held for 5 years by the Taliban before being released. The tone of this season is familiar, investigative and detailed while also being personal. It also includes Mark Boal, the screenwriter for The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, who has a series of phone interviews with Bergdahl.

Edited by Joel Mayward

NBooth   

From the producers of Serial comes S-Town

Vulture has a review:

Discussing S-Town without giving away what it’s really about — a revelation elegantly dispensed through a sublime left turn in the closing moments of the second episode — is a tricky proposition, and in hindsight, it’s more understandable why the Serial team kept public details at a minimum and inadvertently allowed true-crime speculation to germinate. The basics are that Brian Reed, a senior producer at This American Life, is compelled to investigate the story of a murder in Woodstock after being contacted by John, an eccentric Woodstock native who harbors an intriguing antagonistic relationship with the town. As the story goes, the son of a wealthy family is said to have committed a murder, and is purportedly going around town bragging about the deed. It’s a classic setup, but not long after Reed starts chasing down the lead, someone else ends up dead, and the story folds inward into something completely different.

The podcast dropped yesterday and I finished it this morning. It's great. Now, I may be a little biased--the town it's set in, Woodstock, is a little over a half-hour away from Tuscaloosa. Which means that I know these people--or, at least, know their type (they're so Alabama it hurts a little). So about half of my responses while listening to the 'cast were in the vein of "Oh, right. That's typical."

The show starts out as a true-crime story, but (as the above review indicates) it doesn't stay there for long. Instead, it's an exploration of this central figure, this John, a clock-repairer who embodies within himself all sorts of contradictions and tensions (which I won't spell out, because everyone should really just listen to the podcast). He's a fascinating figure, and a real-deal oddball--the kind of eccentric these small towns tend to produce from time to time. There are things about S-Town that wouldn't be out of place in an O'Connor story. But it's O'Connor by way of Twin Peaks with a stop-off at the first Hardy Boys novel.

This podcast intersects with a number of my ongoing interests--small-towns and the way they can warp people, the juxtaposition of the banal and the bizarre, the loneliness that can lurk in places where we culturally expect community and belonging--so of course I devoured it. 

One word of caution--if you care about spoilers (for a piece of reportage that seems like a strange thing to say, but the podcast is structured like a novel), do not google Woodstock, Alabama. AL.com has a story on the podcast that gives away a fairly key detail.

BethR   

Just came across this podcast about film adaptations of Shakespeare, As We Like It. Thirteen episodes, so far.

It's one of three series under the umbrella of "The Extracurricular." The other two are an archives re-read/read-through of Tolkien's complete works, and a weekly book-club style podcast, Interlibrary Loan (six weeks on The Handmaid's Tale, two weeks into Candide).