Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Lego Movie

Link to our thread on 'The Lego Church' (Sep 2004 - Sep 2006).

- - -

'Cloudy' directors play with 'Lego' (exclusive)

Warner Bros.’ movie based on the Lego toys has found its latest brick piece: a director. Or in this case, a pair of directors.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the helmers behind Sony Animation’s hit “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs,” are in final negotiations to write and direct the Lego movie, which is being produced by Dan Lin and Roy Lee. Jill Wilfert at Lego is exec producing.

The plot is being kept under wraps, but it will be an adventure in the Lego world mixing live action and animation.

In order to get the gig, Lord and Miller prepared a presentation that not only had to pass muster with Warners brass but also with execs from Lego, which is extremely protective with its toys and brand and had a significant hand in the process. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, June 28

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

This announcement has me all in pieces. I hope production of this film is blocked.

Get it? Get it?

Oh, never mind...

Warners greenlights 'Lego' feature

Warner Bros. is building up its "Lego" movie, greenlighting the animated-live action hybrid for a release in 2014.

Studio' has tapped Oz vfx-toon house Animal Logic for animation, which is expected to comprise 80% of "Lego." And the film has been approved for an incentive from the Australian government and one from the state of New South Wales.

Officials from the New South Wales state are expected to unveil details of the "Lego" movie at a Sydney news conference next week, coinciding with the start of production.

Warner Bros. has not yet set a specific release date beyond aiming the film for 2014.

Greenlight comes a week before Warner's opening of "Happy Feet 2," from helmer George Miller and Animal Logic -- five years after the original "Happy Feet" grossed $384 million worldwide and won the Oscar for animated feature as Animal Logic's first CG feature.

"Lego" has been in development at Warner Bros. since 2008, when the studio began working with the toymaker on a family comedy based on the popular building blocks with Dan Lin and Roy Lee producing and the writing team of Dan and Kevin Hageman tapped to pen the script. In 2010, Warners brought on the "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to write and direct.

Lord and Miller have working on post-production on Sony's feature version of "21 Jump Street," due out in March. Warners recently brought on Chris McKay, director of Adult Swim's stop-motion animation/comedy "Robot Chicken," to serve as co-director on "Lego" under Lord and Miller.

Plot details for "Lego" -- an action-adventure set in the Lego world -- remain under wraps. Casting for the live-action characters is set to begin in January. . . .

Variety, November 11

Exclusive: Miller & Lord Give LEGO & Cloudy 2 Updates

"It's CGI with a stop motion feel to it and it's really weird in a great way," Lord explained to us when asked about their approach to the animated film.

"We're really building stuff with real LEGOs for the character design phase and the vehicle designs," Miller continued. "We have LEGO experts and people literally building stuff and a room filled with LEGOs and the storyboard artist making things and shooting them on their phones, it's pretty nuts." . . .

The filmmakers also addressed some of the skepticism people have had about the movie being an extended advertising for the LEGO brand.

"The thing about it is obviously it's not a big LEGO commercial for products," Miller told us. "LEGOs are the medium that we're using to tell a story. If you've seen any of those brick films online people make in their basement, it's sort of one of those but with a much bigger budget, as if somebody had a really big basement and a lot of time."

"One of the ways we like to think about it is that it's a medium, not a brand," Lord chimed in.

"It's not like they're selling clay when they do a claymation movie, so it's sort of like that," Miller finished the thought. "We're telling an interesting story and the medium we're using to tell it is these little LEGO bricks and these little characters." . . .

ComingSoon.net, March 4

Links to our most recent threads on Batman and Superman movies.

- - -

Super voices in play for WB's Lego movie

Auds won't have to wait for "Justice League" to see Warner Bros.' two marquee superheroes share the bigscreen, as both Batman and Superman will be characters in the studio's "Lego" movie.

The "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are directing "Lego: The Piece of Resistance," which is a hybrid of live-action and Lego-based animation. Casting is currently underway, as Chris Pratt ("Parks and Recreation") is set to voice the pic's lead character, while Will Arnett will voice the role of Lego Batman.

Helmers are courting their "21 Jump Street" star Channing Tatum to voice Superman, though he has not committed due to his busy schedule, which includes Sony's "White House Down," Bennett Miller's "Foxcatcher," a big-budget sci-fi pic from the Wachowski siblings and a "Jump Street" sequel.

Pratt will play Emmet, an ordinary, law-abiding, Lego mini-figure who is mistaken for the most extraordinary MasterBuilder. He's drafted into a fellowship of strangers on a quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the universe together. . .

Variety, June 26

Looks like this will be the fourth film to feature both Batman and Morgan Freeman (albeit in a voice-only role).

- - -

Warner Bros Builds Morgan Freeman And Elizabeth Banks Into ‘Lego’ Feature

EXCLUSIVE: Elizabeth Banks and Morgan Freeman will lend their voices to lead roles in Lego, Warner Bros tent pole animated 3D film that will be released February 28, 2014. Studio is keeping the specific character under wraps, but I’m told that Freeman will voice a character called Vitruvius and they will join Chris Pratt and Will Arnett in the film. Latter reportedly plays a Lego version of Batman. The plot: an ordinary Lego mini-figure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil Lego tyrant from gluing the universe together. . . .

Deadline.com, August 27

According to several people on Twitter ("Lego Movie" is trending right now), the Comic-Con panel announced that Jonah Hill will do the voice of the Green Lantern and Cobie Smulders will voice Wonder Woman.

In a movie about Legos.

LEGO has it's fingers in so many different franchises that this movie looks both overcrowded and sparse at the same time.  I mean, we've already got Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, but where are all the Star Wars and Tolkien Legos?  What about the Lego Friends (i.e. "girl Legos"), which would certainly increase the audience for this?  The whole thing just kind of looks like a mess.  I wouldn't be surprised if they start putting out "Lego Movie" branded sets now too.

I do like the techno a-ha cover...

This will quite probably end up being a train wreck, but I have to admit I like the look of these trailers. I'm glad they went with slightly jerky, stop-motion-style movements for the characters (although I would be happier if it really was stop-motion).

I'm not sure I ever want to see The Lego Movie again, but I laughed about 100 times during this morning's screening. 

My kids are dying to see this.  "Everything is AWESOME!" is being sung non-stop.  So it gives me comfort that I could possibly laugh at this screening.

Had to miss the preview screening this morning because the wife was at work. But now I'm seeing people talk on Twitter about the film's profound theology, and how the audience came out of the theatre understanding God, etc...?

!!!

Well, there's something to that, but, ummm, not much, I don't think. Or, I should say, it's hard to take anything along those lines too seriously.

Edited by Christian