The Social Network

Tyler

Seems like there should be a thread for this already, but a search for "Zuckerberg" didn't return any hits, so maybe not.

Link to the movie's website, where you can watch the teaser trailer.

For the Search: Mark Zuckerberg, Jesse Eisenberg, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew Garfield, David Fincher, Aaron Sorkin, Justin Timberlake, Facebook.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to our thread on Facebook.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I consider myself a big Fincher fan, and I'm not inclined to draw conclusions based on a preview. But that new preview is, frankly, annoying and does nothing to interest me in this story. Facebook is cool, and there's a good movie to be made about its origins, I guess. Maybe Fincher has made that movie.

But there's been an unwritten rule about computers and movies -- actually Stephen Hunter is the one I remember bringing this up, so I guess it WAS written. And it's this: Watching characters type on computers is about the dullest, most boring device one can choose for cinematic storytelling. It's stultifying. It doesn't work. It always stops the momentum of a film, but, oddly, people use scenes of other people typing away on computers as a way to increase tension. It never works. I repeat: It never works. But filmmakers keep using scenes of hackers trying to break code, etc. Gosh, those are gripping scenes aren't they? Remember the one where ... actually, no, you don't, and neither do I, because it never works. How about those great movies about heroic journalists, where the heroic reporter types up a story and submits it for publication -- and that's the finale of the film? Yeah, State of Play was fan-tastic!

Go ahead and point out all the great movie moments of people sitting on computers typing. I know you all are champing at the bit. Prove me wrong!

But know that watching a chat screen for two minutes during that preview was excruciating.

I realize that this is a losing battle. One day, some filmmaker is going to make a movie about people sitting in front of computers and typing, and it's going to work. But that day hasn't come yet.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Prove me wrong!

"Let's play global thermonuclear war" from WarGames is the one example that comes to mind.

It seems odd to me that neither of the Social Network trailers have shown any footage from the movie.

Twitter Blog

The Girl Who Played With Fire has some really cool looking hacking moments where Lisbeth Salander's eyes are seen through the screen from inside the laptop.

Other than that, I agree with you. It's funny that you typed your rant-like question and I caught a good example for you on the same day.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

At last, a trailer with actual footage ... and I LOVE it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaaGLogbrfY

Tyler wrote:

: Who's singing "Creep" in the trailer?

Wow. The bridge is awesome. Triplets aside, great interpretation.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CaaGLogbrfY

Pretty cool, but 90% of the reason that trailer works is the neato version of "Creep." We'll see how the footage comes together when there isn't a super evocative score underlining each moment. Attempting to take the song out of the equation, the footage struck me as somewhat on the dull side of things. I'm still excited, mind you; I've heard so many good things about the script for this film, I can't help but be interested.

Edited by Ryan H.

The Playlist comments on Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz's reaction to the trailer:

But bizarrely, and perhaps again fueling this writer’s theory that anyone close enough to major events to have a truly insightful perspective on them almost always has their view warped by that very proximity, Moskovitz says “I actually felt like a lot of [Mark’s] positive qualities come out truthfully in the trailer (soundtrack aside).” Hm, maybe if you consider ruthless ambition, disloyalty, social climbing, arrogance and greed positive, then ok, but aside from a certain self-awareness that he’s being, yes, a creep (and that could be a lot to do with how he’s being played by Jesse Eisenberg) and his and his partners' obvious intelligence (they write equations on windows!), we don’t see a lot here that would make us want to invite Zuckerberg round for beers. Except, of course, that he could pay for them and then buy us all steak dinners and hotel chains. So either Moskovitz has totally different standards of “positive” from us, or he is actually obliquely telling us that, since the pretty negative trailer shows the best of him, Zuckerberg is even more of an asshole than some of us (ok, me) already suspects. . . .

I think the choice of song says a lot about the filmmaker's feelings on Facebook. I'm guessing the movie won't position Facebook as the boon of modern civilization.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare

owlgod.blogspot.com - My thoughts on all kinds of media

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

NY Times article about Facebook's reaction to The Social Network:

After fretting for months over how to respond, the company appears to have decided that its best bet is to largely ignore the movie and hope that audiences do the same — that “The Social Network” will be another failed attempt to bottle a generation, like “Less Than Zero,” and not culturally defining, as it aspires to be, in the way of “Wall Street” or “The Big Chill.”Behind the scenes, however, Mr. Zuckerberg and his colleagues have been locked in a tense standoff with the filmmakers, who portray Facebook as founded on a series of betrayals, then fueled by the unappeasable craving of almost everyone for “friends” — the Facebook term for those who connect on its online pages — that they will never really have.

Mr. Zuckerberg, at 26 a billionaire, and his associates are wary of damage from a picture whose story begins with the intimacy of a date night at Harvard seven years ago and depicts the birth of a Web phenomenon in his dorm room.

By his account, and that of many others, much in the film is simply not true. It is based on a fictionalized book once described by its publicist not as “reportage” but as “big juicy fun.”

Twitter Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg opens up

I told Sorkin that his TV series was one of Zuckerberg’s favorites. He paused. “I wish you hadn’t told me that,” he said finally.

New Yorker, September 20

This abortion of a film has got to be breaking some kind of advertising record. I can't go to the movie theater, watch a TV show, or even a football game without seeing constant nonstop trailers, TV spots and previews for this crap It is highly annoying. I've haven't seen it, there's not chance of my seeing it, and I already hate it with a passion.

Maybe it's because I've seen all the previews a thousand times, but this has got to be one of the most pretentious movie trailers ever.

"As for the charges, I believe I deserve some recognition from this board."

"I'm sorry?"

"Yes."

"I don't understand."

"Which part?"

It's not good dialogue, it's not clever but it's obviously trying to be - and absolutely failing. I don't have to watch one minute more of the film to know I'd absolutely hate the main character's guts. I'm also sick and tired of the children's chorus background music which seems to scream "Look at me! I'm a serious and thoughtful and meaningful film!" No, you're not and I'm tired of hitting the mute button when you come on the television. The Social Network gets the worst movie trailer of 2010 award.

biggrin.gif

Well, I like the advertising for the film, and I suspect it will pay off. It has put THE SOCIAL NETWORK on the map in a way that other, less "pretentious" advertising campaigns wouldn't have. And I have to say that I really, really like the choral version of "Creep" that keeps showing up in the advertisements. I'll agree the bits of dialogue they've chosen aren't the wittiest, but all of the reviews I've read for THE SOCIAL NETWORK have been uniform in their praise, suggesting that THE SOCIAL NETWORK is indeed a "serious and thoughtful and meaningful" film.

Devin Faraci @ CHUD:

It's a great film not just about the founding of Facebook, not just about living in the modern digital age, but also about the very impetus for creativity.

Eric Eisenberg @ CinemaBlend:

Known to many as “The Facebook Movie,” David Fincher’s The Social Network is not about the creation of one of the internet’s most successful websites. It’s not about becoming the world’s youngest billionaire. It’s not about greed and it’s not about power. The Social Network is a film about the inescapable need for acceptance inside each one of us.

Scott Foundas @ Film Comment:

This is very rich material for a movie on such timeless subjects as power and privilege, and such intrinsically 21st-century ones as the migration of society itself from the real to the virtual sphere—and David Fincher’s The Social Network is big and brash and brilliant enough to encompass them all. It is nominally the story of the founding of Facebook, yes, and how something that began among friends quickly descended into acrimony and litigation once billions of dollars were at stake. But just as All the President’s Men—a seminal film for Fincher and a huge influence on his Zodiac—was less interested by the Watergate case than by its zeitgeist-altering ripples, so too is The Social Network devoted to larger patterns of meaning. It is a movie that sees how any social microcosm, if viewed from the proper angle, is no different from another—thus the seemingly hermetic codes of Harvard University become the foundation for a global online community that is itself but a reflection of the all-encompassing high-school cafeteria from which we can never escape. And it owes something to The Great Gatsby, too, in its portrait of a self-made outsider marking his territory in the WASP jungle.

Drew McWeeny @ Hitflix:

"The Social Network" represents the very best of both Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher, a combination I never would have expected to see.

Jeffrey Wells @ Hollywood Elsewhere:

It's the strongest Best Picture contender I've seen so far this year, and in saying this I'm obviously alluding to Inception.

Kristopher Tapley @ In Contention:

David Fincher’s "The Social Network" may be the quintessential story of young Machiavellian entrepreneurship in an age of streamlined communication, but it is also a story of the social disconnect that can be as galvanizing as any other source of ambition…for better or worse. The Mark Zuckerberg of Fincher’s film uses the sting of that disconnect to spark a fire of creativity, and the film very much concerns itself with the gauntlet of his motivation.

Edited by Ryan H.

Ryan, are the stars in alignment today or something? You and I are in complete agreement, but since I'm back on Radiohead we are most in agreement about the women's chorus, which I loves.

If you want to watch something good about facebook, then just watch "You have 0 Friends."

Watch it? There've been moments when I've lived it.