Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NClarke

Wrestling for Jesus Trailer

30 posts in this topic

And one other nice write up in the Madison weekly paper where Wrestling For Jesus was one of 12 movies "guaranteed to be worth the while"

They live in South Carolina, and their wrestling promotion is devoted to spreading the word of God's love. When they're not staging matches in masks and spandex, they're praying and preaching and inviting the saved up to the ring for an altar call.

It's miraculously juicy material, and I can imagine a documentary that commits the fatal mistake of condescending to these people. To his great credit, Madison-based director Nathan Clarke never does. After the sensational opening acts, Clarke focuses perhaps a little too much on the promotion's organizer, whose problems are sad but ordinary. But I understand the choice, and the scenes pay off in a delirious grand finale.

I hope the screening went well tonight, Nathan.

Have you thought about submitting to Vancouver? They are usually pretty keen on documentaries and the program has featured a good bunch every year that I've been (3 years now).

I'll check out Vancouver - thanks for the suggestion. My guess is that being a larger festival, they are looking for premieres but, it can't hurt to give it a try.

The screening went really well. It sold out and it was good to see another Arts and Faith board member there - Thom. The premiere party was also a great success. It was an incredibly affirming experience and I'm looking forward to the next screening in South Carolina in mid-April.

NClarke wrote:

: I'll check out Vancouver - thanks for the suggestion. My guess is that being a larger festival, they are looking for premieres but, it can't hurt to give it a try.

FWIW, I've been going to the VIFF since '94 and I can't recall seeing all that many documentary premieres there. Some, sure, but it doesn't appear to be a high priority. They just love documentaries, period.