Peter T Chattaway

Toy Story 4

The movie's coming out in 17 months, so it's time to hire a writer: "Who’s [Stephany] Folsom? She made the Black List for a much different and entirely original script called 1969: A Space Odyssey Or: How Kubrick Learned To Stop Worrying And Land On The Moon. An alternate-history story of a publicist who convinces filmmaker Stanley Kubrick to work with NASA in order to fake the moon landing. Folsom was also one of the writers of Thor: Ragnarok, though she was denied credit on that one by the WGA."

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

From the press release: “The world of Toy Story is built upon the idea that everything in the world has a purpose,” said Cooley. “A toy’s purpose is to be there for its child. But what about toys that are made out of other objects? Forky is a toy that Bonnie made out of a disposable spork, so he’s facing a crisis. He wants to fulfill his purpose as a spork, but now has a new toy purpose thrust upon him.”

So, question: Do sporks (and forks, and spoons, etc.) already have sentient interactions with the toys in this world that we just haven't seen before, or do they only attain their ability to interact with toys once they *become* toys?

Somehow Little Bo Peep, a porcelain doll, has removed her dress and stripped down to her underwear so that she can strike a Rey-in-The-Force-Awakens pose. A statement from the film's director has also revealed that Bo Peep left Andy's house *voluntarily* and was not given away like Toy Story 3 seemed to indicate she was. She's a "strong woman" with agency, yo!

She's wearing pants and a blouse, not underwear.

A re-imagining of Bo Peep doesn't make me any more excited about this, though.

Rushmore wrote:
: She's wearing pants and a blouse, not underwear.

She's wearing the garments she wore underneath her dress in the previous movies (and apparently, despite being a porcelain lamp, she can take those clothes off...?).

From Bo Peep's Wiki page (emphasis added): "Bo has lost her old pink-and-white polka dot shepherdess dress and bonnet, now sporting a pink bow in her hair, and wearing the light blue undergarments she was always seen wearing under her dress."

I loved everything about this film, and I don't consider myself a huge Pixar fan. Mostly I like the way the stories are different in each of the Toy Stories, and they aren't afraid to develop the characters and/or put them in different situations rather than simply doing the same formula over and over. (How ironic that the trailer before the film was for The Lion King, which looks like a shot-for-shot remake).

I also love how the films have subtext without being strictly allegorical. There are metaphysical similarities, but the owners/makers aren't God. There are comparisons to parenting (and/or in this case adoption), but it's not allegorical in the rigid sense. It's just that there are similarities enough to draw and make comparisons rather than just decode. The lost toys inversion of Pinocchio is brilliant, and the new characters interesting. It's been a long time since I left the theater this enthused. 

I pretty much hated the third installment - it felt like a relentless cacophany, but even worse, the slavery or overlord/serf analogies were disturbing yet unaddressed.  So I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed #4.  

I'm glad to see that the next two Pixar films won't be sequels, since 4 of their last 5 have been, and are inferior for it.  Hopefully, they'll quit while they're ahead and end the Toy Story franchise here.

Here's my full review: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2019/06/toy-story-4-is-hopefully-possibly-a-fine-wrap-to-this-pixar-franchise/