Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Tink

Links to our film-related threads on Peter Pan (2003), Finding Neverland (2004), Neverland (2011), Peter Pan Begins (in development), Peter and the Starcatchers (in development) and Pan (in development).

- - -

'Tink' in Disney's tank

Tinkerbell is getting ready to take flight at Disney in "Tink," a live-action romantic comedy that has Elizabeth Banks attached to star and Adam Shankman, Jennifer Gibgot and McG guiding the pic's flightplan to the bigscreen as producers.

Concept for the project, for which the deals are being wrapped up, plays with the mischievous nature of the Tinkerbell character. It was developed by Banks with Max Handelman, who co-runs the thesp's production shingle, Brownstone Prods., and Matt Smith of Offspring Entertainment. Offspring, the shingle run by Shankman and Gibgot, is based on the Disney lot. McG and Mary Viola will produce through their Wonderland Entertainment banner.

Elizabeth Wright Shapiro, who helped develop the project, along with McG, will write the script. . . .

Variety, July 14

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Marti Noxon to Re-Write Disney's Live-Action Tinkerbell Movie; Discusses 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' Problems (Exclusive)

Movies.com: So what is next for you in the film world?

Noxon: A couple of things. I’m doing a re-write on Elizabeth Banks as Tinkerbell, kind of in the Enchanted world. It’s about her coming to the real world in a non-fairy form. That’s about all I can say about it, but part of my attraction to that was what we were talking about earlier [the aforementioned gender politics].

It’s hard to write or even find a movie for eight- or nine-year-old girls that isn’t about, ya’ know, “I need a boyfriend!” I mean, Tinkerbell has a job! She’s one of the few characters in that fantasy world that actually has a job. I have a seven-year-old daughter and I want more movies for her where afterward I don’t have to make something up like, “You know, the job of running a kingdom is really hard work, and she and the Prince are going to have to communicate a lot...”

Movies.com, November 16

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Reese Witherspoon to Star in Disney's Live-Action Tinker Bell Movie (Exclusive)

Reese Witherspoon may soon be spreading some fairy dust.

The actress is attached to star in and produce Tink, a live-action take on the classic Peter Pan character Tinker Bell.

Witherspoon will produce with Bruna Papandrea, her partner at the duo’s production banner, Pacific Standard.

Victoria Strouse, who wrote the script for Pixar’s upcoming Finding Nemo sequel, Finding Dory, is penning the script for the project, which does not have a director on board and is still in development.

Details on the project's angle are being kept deep in Pixie Hollow, but insiders say it will play with the idea and the timeline of the well-known Peter Pan narrative. It is also being developed in the vein of Maleficent, Disney’s 2014 hit that starred Angelina Jolie as the evil witch from Sleeping Beauty. Like Maleficent, this Tinker Bell tale is conceived as “the story you don’t know,” and will offer a new perspective on the character.

Unlike Maleficent or some other recent Disney movies, however, Tink is being developed to be made in a more modest, midrange budget. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, May 21