Janis Joplin biopic

Overstreet

... Amy Adams!

Wow. I like Adams a lot, but this would be quite the stretch for her. We know she can sing. But can she sing like Janis?

I've heard so many actresses' names tossed around for this part and have never even thought of Adams. I'm intrigued.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Link to our thread on The Gospel according to Janis, starring Zooey Deschanel. Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

... Amy Adams!

Wow. I like Adams a lot, but this would be quite the stretch for her.

She's too conventionally pretty to do it, IMO. They would really have to do a lot of "Monster"-type work on her appearance to get Joplins's plain and acne-scarred look.

We know she can sing. But can she sing like Janis?

Unless she's planning to permanently hoarsen her voice, I don't think it's going to be believable.

But frankly, I'm more worried about whether or not she can pull off the Southeast Texas accent. I'm afraid she's just going to do a vague "movie Southern" accent, or worse, a J.R. Ewing accent. (Larry Hagman is from the DFW area of Texas, but the producers of Dallas didn't like his real Texas accent, so they had him do an exaggerated accent so that the non-Texan actors would sound more realistic.)

I was born in Port Arthur and raised nearby in Nederland, so when I hear Janis Joplin in archival interviews, she sounds just like the people I grew up with. It's not a mainstream Texas accent (most Texans don't think I sound that Texan) and it's not a full-blown Cajun accent either. Essentially, the 250,000 people who live in the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area have their own accent because of their relative isolation.

FWIW, I'm also not looking forward to the high probability of having my home region portrayed as a bunch of redneck racists. I've read some of the books written about Joplin, and the authors tend to paint Joplin as a poor repressed soul until she breaks free of Southeast Texas and goes off to California to live her dream.

Certainly there were a fair number of redneck racists in Port Arthur (a couple of my schoolmates parents were members of the Klan), but they were not very well-regarded by the mainstream of local society. Also, a surprising number of my friends parents went to school with Joplin and were both sympathetic and irritated with her. Like many other people, she took a lot of flak in Junior High and had a disfiguring acne problem, but at the same time, she could be intensely hostile toward others and created a lot of her own trouble.

Oh well. ;)

I will be very pleased if they do a more interesting character portrait that deals with her talent and self-destructive nature in equal measure.

---

A few minutes ago I found the interview from the Port Arthur media when she returned for her high school reunion. Shortly before she traveled to Port Arthur, she

she was returning to Port Arthur for her high school reunion. She portrayed herself as someone who was laughed out of town, but implied she was going to flaunt her success. But when she returned, she seemed to find herself more alienated than ever.

The interviewer took what she had been saying previously regarding her time in Port Arthur, and set up an opportunity for her to repeat how unpopular she perceived herself to be. Except this time, surrounded by her home town and people she grew up with, it was humiliating.

It's a very difficult interview to watch.

Edited by TexasWill

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

• 2 years later...