Sign in to follow this  
Anders

Life of Brian

At last! The entire episode of the talk show where John Cleese and Michael Palin tried to discuss the controversy around their movie with Malcolm Muggeridge (and, um, a bishop whose name keeps escaping me) is online:

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Open Culture just posted this interview, and I'm finally getting around to watching it. Perhaps it says more about me than about the interview that I think the Pythons pretty handily show up the men opposing them. Leave that to the side. But what really gets me is when Bishop Stockwood [?] grimly declares that the Pythons would never make a movie mocking the death of Socrates. To which the most sensible reply is have you ever seen anything by Monty Python?

EDIT: I think this is the parody of the interview mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asUyK6JWt9U

Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:

: But what really gets me is when Bishop Stockwood [?] grimly declares that the Pythons would never make a movie mocking the death of Socrates. To which the most sensible reply is have you ever seen anything by Monty Python?

To say nothing of Aristophanes.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

But what really gets me is when Bishop Stockwood [?] grimly declares that the Pythons would never make a movie mocking the death of Socrates. To which the most sensible reply is have you ever seen anything by Monty Python?

I just realized this in reply to Bishop Stockwood's comment: the very first skit of the very first episode of Flying Circus was judges awarding points to famous deaths as in an Olympic tournament, in which they mocked the deaths of St. Stephen, Richard III, and Abraham Lincoln to name a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6UTeFq-50

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Coming to this late, but this is a video from last year's conference on 'Jesus & Brian: Or, What Have the Pythons Done For Us?'. There are other videos too.

And admirable to the last - as a mental health professional, I found it commendable that he, his family, and his friends in the Python troupe were open about his suffering from dementia.  The more people who are honest about this - instead of vague obits stating they 'died after a long illness' - the less stigma there will be over a disease that a person has no control over.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

http://secularcinephile.blogspot.com