Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Documentaries about teenagers

Anybody have any answers for this question?

I am looking for a doc film that compares teen life worldwide/ around the world.

Heavy Metal in Baghdad. It's primarily a profile of Iraqi metal band Acrassicauda, but it also has a lot of interviews with Iraqi youth.

Trolling through Netflix recommendations, Afghan Star and 21 Up South Africa: Mandela's Children both look promising, but I haven't watched either of them.

Just wondering, do any of the films mentioned here so far do any "comparing" of teens from around the world, as per the original request? Or are they more focused on specific, local communities? I've been trying to think of a film that would "compare" teens the same way that, e.g., Babies compared babies from around the world, but so far I haven't come up with anything.

Only When I Dance takes two kids from Brazil into an international competetion in Switzerland. They are trying to dance their way out of poverty, and the only way to do that, so say the Brazilians, is to get noticed internationally.

I remember seeing a film, The World We Want, about Project Citizen and had teens from various countries who were finalists in a competition, but I can't find anything about it other than my review.

Edit: I had a screener for this in 2008, but no idea where it might have played.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Lost Boys of Sudan follows some of the culture shock the boys have when they get to the states, and shows some scenes of their lives back home.

Pressure Cooker is an amazing documentary about kids in inner city Philly.

(It's hard to find documentaries that compare a bunch of cultures within one piece, but maybe the original requester can pick 2 or 3 and compare among.)

Edited to add: There's also that one about Amish teens in their rumspringa, which provides some great cultural contrast...The Devil's Playground.

Edited by Sara Zarr

Edited to add: There's also that one about Amish teens in their rumspringa, which provides some great cultural contrast...The Devil's Playground.

Not to be confused with the MTV reality show Amish in the City, which was about the same subject, but was done from a rather different perspective.

The BBC did an amazing series of documentaries about schools which include elementary thru high school -- Indian School, Chinese School, African School, and Syrian School. Really great though hard to get ahold of ...a student gave me some burned DVDs obtained somehow.

Edited by Joel