Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Fistful of Mercy

Ben Harper. Dhani Harrison. Joseph Arthur.

How's THAT for a supergroup?

And did I mention that Jim Keltner's on drums?

This album is out today, and, after one listen, my first impression is that it's pleasantly low-key and unpretentious, certainly not a great or ambitious album and sometimes a rather sleepy one, but warm and soulful where it counts. Arthur and Harrison strum their acoustic guitars like coffee-shop folkies, while Harper provides some nice slide guitar accents; the three harmonize beautifully, and the songs mostly have a very Beatles-esque melodic sensibility-- which, for Dhani Harrison's sake, is a comparison I really hate to make, but it really fits.

I have to say, though: THIS song, which is sort of a diversion from the mood set by the rest of the record, is an absolute blast. One of the most fun tracks I've heard in a while-- a bluesy/gospel-based hoe-down with some sly lyrics.

Here's my review.

And... here's "Father's Son" from last night's Jimmy Fallon-- with a little help from three of The Roots, of course. Check out the crowd on this one; looks like they're really getting into it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqIAex7iGVY