Sign in to follow this  
MrBjorkWannaBee

Casshern

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

No specifics on a release date, but at least a U.S distributor has stepped up...

Oct. 27, 2004

DreamWorks buys rights to 'Casshern'

DreamWorks Pictures has taken domestic distribution rights to the Japanese feature "Casshern." Based on a 1970s animation series, the live-action feature follows a young man reborn as a bioengineered being who becomes involved in a bitter struggle between humankind and androids. Japan's Shochiku released the film in April in its home country. The film, directed by Kazuaki Kiriya, was produced by Hideshi Miyajima, Toshiraru Ozawa and Toshiaki Wakabayashi. (Staff report)

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised at this announcement. I'm just thankful it's not Miramax.

Just got a confirmation that my DVD should be arriving in my mailbox within a week. I'm very excited.

Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Is that a region 1 DVD?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I think the only Casshern DVD out currently is Region 2.

How is the movie? I've heard a lot of mixed things, but it looks interesting. R2 DVDs are a little too expensive. From my favorite retailer, my choices for Casshern are $56 or $66. Yikes.

How is the movie?
Edited by opus

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've heard mixed things about it too, but I'm curious if only because of the movie's visuals and style (which look to blow Sky Captain out of the water).  There's a particularly interesting one at Midnight Eye, which claims "Casshern [has] the dubious distinction of being perhaps the most unrelentingly austere and humorless superhero film of all time."

I just posted a full - and rather lengthy - review on Twitch. The visuals do indded blow Sky Captain out of the water. I like. Review here.

twitch

independent and cult film.

news. reviews. discussion.

I just posted a full - and rather lengthy - review on Twitch.  The visuals do indded blow Sky Captain out of the water.  I like.

Are you logboy on DVDTalk ?

It cost me about $56 (plus shipping).

I can't point any fingers. I paid around the same amount for Zatoichi (which was excellent, luckily), and I paid around $30 for Woman is the Future of Man, which I can only describe as the worst Korean movie ever made.

Edited by theoddone33

Are you logboy on DVDTalk ?

Nope. Though he sent me so many good tips that I eventually just offered him a posting account on the site so he does do a fair bit of posting on Twitch as well.

twitch

independent and cult film.

news. reviews. discussion.

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until the weekend to watch it. I did watch the first 10 minutes or so, and it is indeed a very visually-stunning film. Forget about Sky Captain. I can't believe they only spent 6 million dollars on this thing.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

My review is up. I was hoping to also post some stills from the movie, but for some reason, my computer couldn't play this disc.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I just got to see this! Absolutely stunning! A true feast for the eyes -- I'm going to have to see it on a big screen sometime. Great review, opus -- I can't think of anything much to add to it. I loved the scene you specifically mentioned between Tetsuya and Luna. Given the disjointed editing of the film up to that point (I think this was probably the worst aspect of the film -- it felt rushed at times), I was confused about what was going on at first, but then I realized what was happening and it easily became one of my favorite scenes in the film.

This movie had a better comic-book feel than any superhero movie I've ever seen. I'm not sure what to make of it, really. Along with Sky Captain..., I think this film is heralding a new cinematic visual style. Whether it will ever become popular or produce anything truly great, I cannot say, but Casshern is arguably the best "action" film I've seen in quite some time.

I can't believe the negative reviews I've read. Sure, it wasn't what I expected having only seen the trailer, and it's at times too melodramatic, but it's a solid film and one that's definitely enjoyable.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Go Fish! just launched their website for their domestic release. There's not much on there right now, just a link to the Japanese trailer and a brief synopsis, but there is a messages saying "In Theaters 2005". So some lucky folks will get to see this on the big screen...

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Just watched this last night with some friends, and on a second viewing, the strengths of the film become all that more impressive whereas its weaknesses become all the more glaring. You're right Darryl, the film's biggest issue is its editing. Although it's brilliant at times - the montage sequences when Tetsuya and Luna are escaping into the wilderness, the very last sequence (which I find quite moving) - it does make the movie feel very rushed and disjointed (which is odd considering it's well over 2 hours long).

One of my friends commented that he realized he needed to stop trying to analyze the movie, and just take it for what it is. I think he's right. Kiriya is clearly not going for anything realistic - hence some of the plot holes and strange twists in the movie's final act, and that freakin' huge bolt of lightning (or whatever it is) - but something almost mythical and allegorical. At some point, I think you just need to realize that Kiriya is trying to make a STATEMENT, and as such, the plot is going to get big and ultra-melodramatic, characters are going speak in platitudes, etc. Once you realize that, I think the movie becomes more acceptable.

That, or you can simply sit back and enjoy the visual splendor, which is all the more impressive considering the movie's budget was somewhere around $6 million.

My girlfriend also commented on just how thematically packed Casshern is as well. Almost like Kiriya was so afraid he might never get to make another movie that he tried to cram in as much as possible. Obviously, the futility of war is the film's major theme. But you've also got stem cell research, terrorism, government manipulation of the media a la Big Brother, father/son relationships, living out your life's destiny to the fullest, the need for man to learn to forgive and co-exist, racism and ethnic cleansing, etc.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

opus:

Kiriya is clearly not going for anything realistic - hence some of the plot holes and strange twists in the movie's final act, and that freakin' huge bolt of lightning (or whatever it is) - but something almost mythical and allegorical.

spoilers1.gif

I was going to ask -- What was the lightning bolt? That was the one plot element that didn't make any sense to me. Was it a product of the research or something from the "beyond?" The last shot, when Tetsuya and Luna fly off into space and then land on some distant, far away star, is them striking the ground like the first lightning bolt. However, I don't think the first one could have been someone landing from yet another planet.

Perhaps your friend is right and I shouldn't bother to over-analyze that particular piece of the film.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Just saw this, and I liked it. I expected it to suck since the last film I saw based on the recommendation that it was just like "live action anime" was terrible. This film was very different than I expected, however. It was more contemplative than most.

Ironically I thought a weak spot of this film was the action. Kinda like the last Matrix movie... fights with people flying into one another may look cool in trailers, but they just end up boring in the actual movie.

Just saw this, and I liked it.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Whasango

Whew... I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was pretty disappointed by that one as well.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

This is now available as an all-region NTSC DVD from Thailand... click here.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook