Sign in to follow this  
J.A.A. Purves

Terriers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsGB6wszAbc

Terriers - Enjoyed the first episode last night. Donal Logue (usually always just the supporting "friend" character) and Michael Raymond-James (Rene from the first season of True Blood) are two beach-bum, unkempt, mopey, bedraggled, private detectives who both look like they slept in their clothes. I'm already reminded a little of Columbo (PIs going with the "I'm a small time/incompetent/don't really know what I'm doing" vibe during their investigations). I almost didn't watch this because none of the previews looked interesting (pretty much giving zero plot or information), but thanks to a friend's recommendation I tried it and it was worth it. Besides, if you were going to work as a PI, wouldn't San Diego, California be your first choice? Other than Elliott Gould in The Long Goodbye, I don't remember too many beachside detectives (San Francisco's more big city than beach city).

Also, Alan Sepinwall says this and Boardwalk Empire are his two favorite new shows that he's previewed for the Fall.

And speaking of tunes stuck in your head, I haven't been able to get that Yeah Yeah Yeahs tune out of my head all day.

And speaking of tunes stuck in your head, I haven't been able to get that Yeah Yeah Yeahs tune out of my head all day.

Apparently I was wrong (Wikipedia is wrong). Whatever it is, that isn't the name of the theme song.

Also, ratings were really poor for the pilot. Hopefully, since their advertising was worthless, word of mouth will change that.

I watched the pilot. It was funny and interesting. I liked the characters and I'm intrigued by what appears to be the main season story arc. However, I typically don't watch shows like this. I can't really think of any "murder/crime investigation shows" that I've been hooked on. I like the quirkiness of the characters, so I'll give it a few episodes, but I'm definitely not hooked. Even if I don't end up following it, I'd like for it to stay around. There are so many lame crime investigation shows out there, but this one is probably worth following if you're into that sort of thing.

This show is really good by the way. It continues to do things to surprise and go against the viewers' expectations. In spite of a thousand different TV Shows about private detectives, this one is different and that makes it fun.

Alan Sepinwall -

Hank and Britt are always shown to be guys flying by the seat of their pants, only vaguely knowing what they're doing, even on a small stage. So put them up in the big leagues in matters involving guys like Lindus and the shady construction people who seemed to be pulling his strings, and any of our heroes' mistakes are only going to seem massively, massively worse. I was literally holding my breath at the end, and I knew I had the ability to jump immediately to episode five. I can't imagine what it was like for some of you tonight ...

Shawn Ryan was a guest on Mo Ryan and Ryan McGee's podcast this week, and he mentioned that he had envisioned the show as being a bit lighter than it ultimately became (he co-wrote episode two, remember), and he said one of the reasons for that was seeing how good Donal Logue was at the heavy stuff. As he stares down Lindus in jail in the opening scenes, he's every bit the hard-boiled private eye, even if he looks more like The Dude.

But the episode also works because it introduces a wild card element in Steph, played by Logue's real-life sister Karina, who actually worked for Shawn Ryan twice (on "The Unit" and "Lie to Me") before Donal did. As with Donal and Michael Raymond-James, who were friendly in real life before they played friends on this show, the Logues' sibling chemistry came through, even as Karina played a fairly unhinged, off-her-meds character. Steph's presence is about the last thing Hank needs at this moment, but for the show, she adds some great black comedy and unpredictability.

Great stuff all around. Can't wait to talk about next week's episode, and then to see where the hell this is all going after that.

This show needs to start getting better ratings through word-of-mouth or FX is going to pull it, even if they're the ones mostly at fault for a really shoddy advertising campaign.

Terriers has maintained its high level of writing & character development. Still seems to be on the "endangered" list, if all the #saveterriers tweets I'm seeing are any indication. The last of (I hope) the first 13 episodes airs this week.

Has anyone else been watching (besides Persiflage)?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Watching, but several weeks behind. Need a serious no good tv period so we can watch more than we record.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

If you're wondering what you missed, high quality summation here and interview with an FX network exec (shock!).

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Fantastic season. Great story, characters and dialogue. Now I just have to mourn and buy the DVDs.

While Landgraf was questioned by the AV Club mostly about the marketing, I liked what he had to say here -

"It had a subtle charm that kind of crept into your psyche over time and you got to like it more...I don't know if subtlety is something the American public is buying in droves today," Landgraf said.

"When I look at 'Jersey Shore,' and the Kardashians, and 'Sons of Anarchy,' and 'The Walking Dead'...and up to and including what seems to be selling in the political space in America, I wouldn't say that subtlety and nuance describe the most successful kind of pop content in America today," Landgraf said.

... As the call wound down, bereft TV critics having been successfully talked off the figurative ledge, Landgraf sounded truly despondent as he noted the success of a show on a rival network.

"Kudos to AMC for having such success with 'The Walking Dead,' Landgraf said sadly/cynically. "It's now obvious that zombies was an unfulfilled need in the American people."

Wow.

Landgraf lumping the Walking Dead with the Jersey Shore tells me just why FX didn't have a hit. If he thinks the Walking Dead was popular simply because of zombies? He misses the bigger picture. It is a show focused on characters and drama, the setting just happens to be a zombie apocalypse. This is something we have not seen on TV before. A buddy cop show? Down and out detectives? Small wonder it didn't spark the attention of people to check it out.

This sounds more like sour grapes than a fair analysis. "AMC took a creative risk and it paid off for them, but our generic sounding detective show failed to capture an audience." Boo hoo.

In entertainment, subtle is the executive/creator defense word for dull anyways.

(and yesterday I was feeling sympathy for the creators and fans of the show-and even the snippets I saw from Landgraf...it sucks when a show you feel deserved a chance gets killed early)

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I'm knocking off three episodes a night of this show on Netflix Instant, and really enjoying it. It's the perfect example of a well-made, skillfully-written genre show. It has probably the worst name of any television show to air in the past ten years, which may or may not have been a factor in its abysmal ratings. And I don't watch a single minute of this show if not for the amount of bandwidth Alan Sepinwall devoted to singing its praises when it was airing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... It has probably the worst name of any television show to air in the past ten years, which may or may not have been a factor in its abysmal ratings. ....

Title certainly a factor, since it reveals nothing about the show unless you already know what it's about & can make the metaphorical connection. Most people probably thought it was about dogs. Probably tied for "worst title" honors with Bunheads, which has managed to get a second season, but it's helped by being on ABCFamily & having Amy Sherman Palladino's name attached.