Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

The new, great Michel Gondry video.

Hm. How did they get that piano up there?

What a great short film. I predict that the next few generations of people are going to be far more film savvy than any others just because they have been inundated with great examples of the short form through commercials and music videos like this.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

: I predict that the next few generations of people are going to be far

: more film savvy than any others just because they have been

: inundated with great examples of the short form through commercials

: and music videos like this.

Yes, but they will be spending much more time watching Backstreet Boys videos than Gondry and Jonze and Glazer, so I suspect you're overstating the advantages. It depends if they have access to M2, really.

If I allowed music videos to make my year-end top tens -- which I do allow short films to, as evidenced thricely here -- "Mad World" would have a better shot than Eternal Sunshine of making 2004's. And frankly, with six months left in the year, I may change my rules.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

The thing I love about Gondry's work is how simple it is, compared to so many music videos (and movies, for that matter). I'm sure he uses CGI and whatnot, but much of his stuff is based on older, simpler techniques - and this video is a prime example. Gorgeous stuff - and much better than the "Mad World" video on the Donnie Darko DVD.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I don't think I've ever seen a full-length review of a single music video in a mainstream publication, but the New York Times recently had one of "Mad World." Good job, paper that didn't hire SDG.

"Mad World" is now neck-and-neck with Dogville as my favorite film of this year.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Michel Gondry is so brilliant and offkey. He can make me like a mediocre song just by what he does with the video, which is always imaginative and usually non-CG special effects. And when he does it with a song I already like (such as "Mad World"), hey, bonus. His work with Bjork is still my favorite, though.

LINK FIXED!!

Michel Gondry's greatest feet.

Just watch this two-minute video, before you try to correct my spelling.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

LINK FIXED!!

Michel Gondry's greatest feet.

Just watch this two-minute video, before you try to correct my spelling.

Oh, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaVsaWjzsds.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Personally, I thought he'd used a blank (all-white) cube, and then digitally added the color afterward in a way that would work out just so. But this theory is quite plausible too... or else just a very creative addendum.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."