Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. Leary

Luc Besson Sci-Fi project

24 posts in this topic

Io9 has a nice little scoop on an unknown Besson sci-fi film in the works. A choice quote from the post:

"When I did The Fifth Element, I already had the technological tools that were a little outdated. With the advent of digital technology, it is amazing what you can do. The technique has caught the imagination. One can imagine anything, there will always technicians to follow you in your delusion."

Did he mean to say illusion? I hope not, as delusion is a choice word here.

Reserving this thread for what will hopefully be news about a good Besson film.

As someone for whom The Fifth Element is a real guilty pleasure, this news makes me very happy.

Still no word on the mysterious new project, but the article above wonders when Besson's The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec will be available stateside. It is now out on DVD/Blu-Ray. Based on a series of French graphic novels by Jacques Tardi, it has complicated plot with a blunt and unsinkable heroine in Adele, whom reviews compare with Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes and other such explorers and detectives. She's as full of quips as Buffy or Veronica Mars, and as determined as Tintin. The tone is a bit uneven--some delightfully eerie business, and then veering into the wacky slapstick so beloved of the French. But I wouldn't mind seeing more.

As someone for whom The Fifth Element is a real guilty pleasure, this news makes me very happy.

After looking around, I'm not going to resurrect the old "Besson vs. Bresson" thread. Instead, I'll use this comment as a vague pretext to post this here:

Edited by NBooth

Starring Clive Owen.

Trailer isn't doing anything for me. (Can we change the thread title?)

On 11/10/2016 at 9:18 AM, Tyler said:

Trailer isn't doing anything for me. (Can we change the thread title?)

I'm not one who goes out of the way to see movies in 3D, but last night I did take in Doctor Strange in 3D (wonderful!).  The Valerian trailer played beforehand, and I have to say that I found it to be one of the most breathtaking trailers I'd seen in quite a while.  Can't say much for what the storyline might be, but in 3D the visuals are quite awesome.  Don't let this small size version keep you away.

I woke up yesterday to discover that the movie's Twitter account had noticed me... and its YouTube account had created a "customized" version of the trailer based on my tweet:

is it in relation to "why did they make this movie?" I feel like I don't get the joke haha.

Anyways, feels very Guardians of the Galaxy meets Jupiter Ascending

Justin Hanvey:
: I feel like I don't get the joke haha.

Oh, there's no joke (at least, not at my end). I just laughed because using *that* Beatles song as the soundtrack to a sci-fi epic of this sort just seemed kind of counter-intuitive. By the end of the trailer, though, I was actually kind of digging the way it turned the "aaaa-aaah" into a recurring thing.

: Anyways, feels very Guardians of the Galaxy meets Jupiter Ascending

Oooh, well put. And one of those movies was a huge hit while the other was a huge flop, so... we'll see.

haha it was actually because of the song I started getting flashbacks to Guardians of the Galaxy trailers.

Wow. I don't know if I want to see this or avoid it all costs.

Here's the first paragraph, but you've really got to read the whole thing:

Imagine if someone projected an entire decade’s worth of sci-fi space epics on the same screen, at the same time. Imagine you were in the audience for that event. Now imagine, for some insane reason, you decided to pre-game for the experience by eating an entire bag full of mushrooms that had been garnished with a fine layer of France’s best crystal meth. That, more or less, is what it feels like to watch Luc Besson’s delirious “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets,” an independently financed $200 million intergalactic adventure so high on its own supply that it makes makes “Guardians of the Galaxy” look like an Ozu film (and not even one of those later Ozu films that he jazzed up with color).

Meanwhile, from The Hollywood Reporter.

The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover. Euro-trash is back, while sci-fi will need to lick its wounds for a while. Dane DeHaan, who has starred in two of the most egregiously bloated misfires of the year with A Cure for Wellness and now this, should do a couple of indie films, while Cara Delevingne needs to learn there is more to acting than smirking and eye-rolling. Rihanna should pretend this never happened. And the Hollywood studio chiefs can breathe easy that, this time, at least, they'll escape blame for making a giant summer franchise picture that nobody wants to see, since this one's a French import.

Meanwhile, Bilge Ebiri seems to like the film (haven't read his review, but saw his comments on Twitter; when I asked him how it compared to Gods of Egypt, which I thought was visually spectacular dumb fun, he said Valerian was definitely better).

It says a lot about my tastes that I'm looking forward to Valerian much more than War of the Planet of the Apes or Dunkirk.

1 hour ago, Mr. Arkadin said:

It says a lot about my tastes that I'm looking forward to Valerian much more than War of the Planet of the Apes or Dunkirk.

Same. 

Vishnevetsky:

"Orson Welles called a movie studio the biggest electric train set any boy ever had, but in the tentpole-franchise-superhero-coming-soon era, the trains are expected to run on time. It’s rare, then, to see a film this extravagant that also feels, for better or worse, like the work of a single personality. The longer action scenes may not always rank with Besson’s early ’90s highlights (Léon: The Professional, La Femme Nikita) or the mania of the more recent Lucy, but there isn’t a moment in this ludicrous, lushly self-indulgent movie that doesn’t feel like its creator is having the time of his life."

Shouldn't someone change the name of this thread to Valerian?

Well, I'm seeing it Wednesday, and I chose this screening over Dunkirk.

On 7/15/2017 at 4:01 PM, Evan C said:

Well, I'm seeing it Wednesday, and I chose this screening over Dunkirk.

I'm visiting friends this weekend and decided to pitch a visit to the movies. The movie I pitched was definitely Valerian.