Sign in to follow this  
Thom Wade

MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's a new Marvel Team Up starring Marvel and ABC.

No time table has been announced for the Hulk TV series and it's unclear whether the show will be tied to Marvel's shared "Avengers" movie universe in any way, but THR emphasized that Marvel and ABC, which are both Disney companies, are trying to methodically foster brands rather than rush an overabundance of programming.

According to THR, ABC and Marvel are looking at a considerable list of possible TV franchises including "Heroes for Hire," "The Eternals," "Agents of Atlas," "Alter Ego" (a renamed version of "Alias" starring Jessica Jones), "Moon Knight," "The Red Hood," "Ka-Zar," "Daughters of the Dragon" (Misty Knight and seemingly the new Tarantula, Maria Vasquez).

Part of me thinks the Eternals could be a good mystery themed action drama.

Edited by Thom Wade

Well, both Marvel and ABC *are* owned by Disney now.

Link to our thread on 'Disney Buys Marvel Entertainment'.

Question: How often has anyone had success producing a TV series and a movie series based on the same franchise simultaneously?

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had some potential but they pulled the plug just before Terminator Salvation came out, and that movie didn't particularly win anybody over either.

Any other examples?

Star Trek doesn't count, as the movies and the TV shows were part of one overarching continuity (plus, the movies were all based on TV shows that had already been cancelled -- although two of the movies did admittedly have to give a nod to the fact that Worf was on leave from Deep Space Nine, or whatever).

I am not sure that a new Hulk series is the best idea...I am more intrigues by their apparent optioning of lesser known properties.

Heat Vision reports that Cloak & Dagger are another property on the list for development.

I'd rather see them in a film, but Cloak & Dagger are one of my favorites. It'd be killer to see them anywhere -- I've often thought they'd make a favorable transition to the screen.

Should we rename this thread so that it's dedicated to the S.H.I.E.L.D. series?

- - -

No, it's Not a Prequel: ABC President Confirms S.H.I.E.L.D. Takes Place After The Avengers

Ever since it was announced that Clark Gregg would be part of the cast of S.H.I.E.L.D., the question all of us who saw The Avengers had was how could that be? How could Agent Phil Coulson, who appeared to die in that film, return? While there are plenty of theories on that, another question was if the series would even have to “resurrect” Coulson at all, with some wondering if maybe it was a prequel, set before the events of Avengers.

Last night at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour, I spoke to ABC president Paul Lee about S.H.I.E.L.D. and when I asked him how tied into the ongoing Marvel films the series would be, he replied, “There is no question that it is part of the Marvel Universe. In fact, the story takes place after the battle for New York." . . .

IGN.com, January 11

I've never renamed one of my posts...how can I fix it?

Click on edit at the bottom of the first post, then click the "use full editor" button. From there, you'll be able to change the content of the post as well as the title of the thread.

Edited by Tyler

Since this is a Whedon helmed vehicle, I'm hoping we see some of his "regulars" show up as guests or recurring characters. Despite a pretty deep roster of S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives established in the comics, they seem to be creating brand new characters for the main cast.

But how great would it be to see Alan Tudyk show up as Clay Quartermain? Or Amy Acker as Quake? or Summer Glau as Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman? Or even Sarah Michelle Gellar as Mockingbird?

An official synopsis was posted today on the Dr. Horrible blog.

Fresh from his role in the summer’s box office smash, MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) returns to the worldwide law enforcement organization S.H.I.E.L.D. He puts together a small, highly trained, team of Agents to tackle the cases that haven’t been classified yet, the new, the strange and the unknown. That team consists of straight arrow Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), an expert in combat and espionage; pilot and martial artist Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen); and brilliant if socially awkward scientists Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge). They’ll be joined by civilian new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we are greater than we are apart, and that we can make a difference in the world.

Doesn't mention how they're getting around what happened to Coulson in The Avengers. Also, the official title is now MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

Anyone else catch this? It received decent reviews, but it left my wife and I pretty cold.

I've cooled lately on both the Marvel cinematic universe and Whedon, so unless I hear some compelling reasons I'll probably just skip it.

Anyone else catch this? It received decent reviews, but it left my wife and I pretty cold.

I didn't catch it, but the AV Club review essentially said exactly what I was assuming: way too many cooks in the kitchen. Sure, it has the Whedon connection, but Marvel, Disney, and ABC are waaaaay too involved. Whedon works best when left to his devices. And sure, I realize Joss isn't paying as much attention to this show as any of his others, but the showrunning team—his brother Jed, his sister-in-law Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jeffrey Bell—all contributed excellent episodes to other Whedon shows, so I'm hopeful. (Bell in particular is a long-time Whedonverse vet.) Anyway, I think this is a likely scenario: show pulls in a lot of viewers initially, then trickles down to a devoted audience. By that time the powers-that-be at the various studios may stop meddling as much and hopefully allow the show to breathe on its own.

Admittedly, I'm not a Whedonite, so there's that. But all the script's Whedonisms seemed forced, as though Whedon is now actively straining to live up to his own reputation. And the cast is just plain bad.

I watched it. The storytelling could use some work, the production value is poor and the end of the episode was rushed and really, really corny. But, it has the dialogue and characters you'd expect from a Whedon show, so I'll probably stick with it for a while even though I'm not a Marvel person at all. It's got the themes of paranoia of power and control we've seen in other Whedon shows, so it feels like a followup to Angel and Dollhouse in a lot of ways.

Admittedly, I'm not a Whedonite, so there's that. But all the script's Whedonisms seemed forced, as though Whedon is now actively straining to live up to his own reputation. ...

By "not a Whedonite," do you mean you're not a fan of Whedon or that you haven't followed his work closely? If the latter, I'm not sure you're in a position to judge whether script's "Whedonisms" are "forced" or not. I did think the episode felt rushed, as if they were trying to cram what may have at some point been conceived as a 90-minute or two-hour premiere into one hour, so there was that.

...And the cast is just plain bad.

People's assessment of actors/acting seems so subjective to me. I didn't find them bad at all. Admittedly, some have the benefit (for me) of intertextuality of casting (Bussolini)--Gregg as Coulson, Ron Glass, J. August Richards, Ming Na, Cobie Smulders (who won't be a regular). Others are virtually unknown to me, and the only one that really stood out was Chloe Bennet. Everyone else looks a bit too much alike at the moment.

By "not a Whedonite," do you mean you're not a fan of Whedon or that you haven't followed his work closely?

The former.

People's assessment of actors/acting seems so subjective to me. I didn't find them bad at all. Admittedly, some have the benefit (for me) of intertextuality of casting (Bussolini)--Gregg as Coulson, Ron Glass, J. August Richards, Ming Na, Cobie Smulders (who won't be a regular). Others are virtually unknown to me, and the only one that really stood out was Chloe Bennet. Everyone else looks a bit too much alike at the moment.

Gregg was fine. As for the rest, it struck me as amateur hour. Lots of overacting in places (admittedly, this can be part of Whedon's style, but it grates on me) and elsewhere, the line readings tended to be pretty stiff (not that the dialogue was especially easy to sell). Edited by Ryan H.