MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

I enjoyed it. I laughed a number of times, I enjoyed seeing Ron Glass and Ming Na, I thought the young kids all did fine - though their characters need to be refined - and the mystery of what happened to the ever-smiling Coulson intrigues me. Tahiti?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it. I laughed a number of times, I enjoyed seeing Ron Glass and Ming Na, I thought the young kids all did fine - though their characters need to be refined - and the mystery of what happened to the ever-smiling Coulson intrigues me. Tahiti?

I think Tyler is right in regards to Tahiti.

Caught this last night. Sorry haters, I liked it just fine. As I predicted, some of the stuff felt forced (as in, "Marvel says we need to say this copyrighted name here, and Disney wants us to show the action figures there"), but nothing was terrible. I didn't mind the acting—I wish they'd keep Gu...er, J. August Richards around. (Angel fans...did any of you make any connections between Gunn's comic book savvy and Richards's character in this pilot?) I also really liked the Fitz-Simmons team; sure, they seems really inexperienced as actors, but their geeky bubbliness was delightful. (Their perky traits might not always stay that way, of course. See Topher and Fred.) 

Some of the fight scenes were well done, but the special effects were....ugh. But then, that's not why I'm watching this. 

It was far more Firefly-like than I'm comfortable with. (The set inside the airplane is very Serenity-y. I wonder if there are parts of the actual Serenity set built-in there. The combination of personalities and temperaments is very similar to the Firefly crew.) But I suspect that'll change. I had a good time with it. Felt like Joss doing what he can do in his sleep, which is pretty good compared to most TV. I'm always so grateful for the spirit of his shows. I much prefer this to the ponderous and almost unrelenting seriousness of Heroes.

Still, I don't know who will ever come along that can make me care about superhero stories again.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I finally saw this.  I enjoyed it.  I thought that the show was reminiscent of the pilot episode of the Syfy series Alphas.  The lighter tone is a welcome alternative to the world-destruction stories of some recent superhero movies.  I think that, in time, the characters will form an interesting team.  And I'll take Coulson's car over Christopher Nolan's Batmobile any day.

Edited by Crow

Watched it twice, once by myself and once with my wife. Enjoyed it both times (and my wife did, too). I don't really have much to add to the comments above, except that I did find some of the casting odd. I guess I'm willing to suspend disbelief enough to buy that an unemployed factory worker can get superpowers with some alien gizmo, or that all of that technobabble means something, but I find it hard to believe that a hacker who lives in a van parked in an alley would have hair and clothing that fabulous.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I enjoyed it overall, but felt underwhelmed.  I am willing to give it a chance.  Whedon has had plenty of shows that got better and better... both Buffy and Angel were pretty shakey in their first seasons, and went on to stellar second seasons...

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I enjoyed it overall, but felt underwhelmed.  I am willing to give it a chance.  Whedon has had plenty of shows that got better and better... both Buffy and Angel were pretty shakey in their first seasons, and went on to stellar second seasons...

Dollhouse had a rough stretch early on (the backup singer episode, ahhh!), and I'd even argue that Firefly had some rocky patches initially. Love 'em both, of course (and I honestly LOVE the first season of Buffy). Whedon shows need time to stretch out. 

Episode 2 suffered a bit from "second premiere" syndrome, but still had its moments of solid character interaction and was also ACTION PACKED. The sound mix continues to be unbalanced.

This commentary on the show's "moral core," epitomized by Coulson's admonition that "Nobody's nobody" is worth a look. While there's lots of gadgetry and scifi stuff, Agents is more than just another superhero story.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

This second episode is pretty rough. The storytelling is pretty cliche and corny. And the way they resolved the problem at the end involved some of the most blatant physics-defying logic I've seen from a show in a long time. The dialogue was also a big step down some of the dialogue was pretty trite. The seduction scene in particular felt like one of the worst written dialogue exchanges I've watched in a while.

In spite of that, there's some great character moments and I think the show does have potential for growth, but right now it needs a lot of work. I wonder if this show got rushed because a lot of these problems feel like things this team would fix with another pass at the writing stage.

Watching it as we speak. And I cannot help but notice that, just as the first episode brought back the "Extremis" storyline from Iron Man 3, so too the second episode begins with a hole-in-the-side-of-an-airplane bit that harks back to Iron Man 3.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

This second episode is pretty rough. The storytelling is pretty cliche and corny. And the way they resolved the problem at the end involved some of the most blatant physics-defying logic I've seen from a show in a long time. The dialogue was also a big step down some of the dialogue was pretty trite. The seduction scene in particular felt like one of the worst written dialogue exchanges I've watched in a while.

You're right, but comics regularly break the laws of physics in the service of story—I give this a pass.

I liked the second episode quite a bit. I thought some of the dialogue was corny (specifically from the Reyes's character, but Ward wasn't far behind), but there was some sharp stuff too. I do see a lot of promise with the young cast, Fitz-Simmons in particular. The duo are weirdly endearing, and I love how their non-stop banter smothers all attempts at conversation with them. 

Beth's right, too — the episode was almost non-stop action, and some of it was pretty exciting. 

Edited by Jason Panella

I liked the second episode more than the first, FWIW. And I *loved* the cameo at the end, for what it was at any rate.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I thought the second episode was an improvement.  It's shaping up to be a fun old-fashioned action-adventure series with enjoyable characters, and it's good to have something on TV like this again.  I like that this series is developing a distinct identity with its own lighter tone to it as compared to the Marvel movies.  

Edited by Crow

Hmmm...I did not really find most of the Marvel films darker in tone... at least in comparison to the DC films.  I found Thor, Iron Man and Captain America to be generally lighter in their tone, taking moments to breath and laugh, not remaining purely grim affairs.  And that was also true of the Avengers...or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "lighter tone"?

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

‘It Matters Who You Are’: Character and Character Formation in ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’:

Whedon fans — and I count myself among them — will be happy to know that his signature elements are present in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. There’s plenty of action captured with Whedon’s clever eye for occasionally surprising camera shots, and the dialogue is sharp and witty, with enough character surprises to throw the viewer off in just the right way. On a more substantive level, however, many of Whedon’s favorite themes are also present, and none more so than the juxtaposition of the extraordinary with the ordinary.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Hmmm...I did not really find most of the Marvel films darker in tone... at least in comparison to the DC films.  I found Thor, Iron Man and Captain America to be generally lighter in their tone, taking moments to breath and laugh, not remaining purely grim affairs.  And that was also true of the Avengers...or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "lighter tone"?

I do agree that those movies you mentioned have a lighter tone, and I enjoyed them.  Even so, there is a certain amount of CGI whiz-bang iin the films that can become tiresome.  And judging from the trailer for Thor: The Dark World that played during the commercial, it seems to signal that the Marvel universe may begin to become more Nolan-ized like the DC films have become, and more sequels mean more whiz-bang and less of the lighter character moments.  So I hope that the TV series, without the big budget CGI, can retain the fun of the first Iron Man and Captain America films.

I suspect that both Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy will have lighter tones, if only based on their directors (Edgar Wright, James Gunn) and cast (Chris Pratt).

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

IAN HART.

Now that is an interesting addition. Episode 3 did some promising seed-planting for the larger story they're developing. Nice suggestion that Cabin in the Woods could take place in this universe too.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

So is the "truth serum" bit a retcon, or...?

And if I knew more about Marvel, would I know what was being set up here?

Now that is an interesting addition. Episode 3 did some promising seed-planting for the larger story they're developing. Nice suggestion that Cabin in the Woods could take place in this universe too.

Yeah, I thought last night's episode took some large, establishing steps forward. And I felt like the characters were much more interesting this time around. (I really liked Agent Mac, too...hopefully we see more of him.) 

I'm a little lost. Who's Ian Hart? I didn't see Cabin in the Woods.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."