Iron Man Three a.k.a. Iron Man 3

FWIW, I think

1. The spoiler warning is appreciated until the movie has been out on DVD for a few weeks, since seeing movies in the theater is becoming prohibitively expensive, especially in my area.
  2. That said, I think it might suck the fun out of threads to demand spoiler warnings for such a long time... It's probably better for us slowpokes to stay out of threads full of spoilers.

So.... two minds. One man. (Nothing unusual here.)

That's just how eye roll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I liked this a lot. Probably my favorite of the three Iron Man films.

Did I really just sit through two hours and ten minutes of Tony Stark not being Iron Man, and did he really, at the end of the film, after giving up being Iron Man ala Batman 3 ala Neo at the end of Point Break say, "I am Iron Man"?

Yes, and that's the whole point. The subversion of The Mandarin character - still made enjoyable by Kingsley despite being the worst part of the film - seems to have gotten most of the kickback here. What worked - I thought incredibly well - was the subversion of the superhero as alter ego. In the first film, Stark comes right out and says he's Iron Man. Which was a big, subversive deal at the time. This not only built upon that but added depth.

After The Avengers, where Stark as Iron Man literally saves New York single handedly, at no point in this film does he operate in the armor at full capacity as Iron Man.

I think this film successfully subverts Man of Steel, although that was likely unintentional - as an extended sequence shows him saving the innocent civilians falling from the plane, one of the very loudly controversial points leveled against Man of Steel - and even concludes the sequence with a laugh.

But back to The Avengers, much comparison and contrast was made between Iron Man's saving NYC from a nuclear weapon there and Batman's saving Gotham from a nuclear weapon in TDKR. In IM3, Stark deals with the aftermath not by running off and starting a new life, leaving behind "Iron Man," but by struggling with being both Tony Stark and Iron Man. In this film, half a dozen characters wear the Iron Man or War Machine/Iron Patriot Armor, but in the end, wearing the armor at 100% capacity, 50% capacity, or not at all, only Tony Stark can say, "I am Iron Man."

As a response on the Bruce Wayne/Batman vs. Tony Stark/Iron Man character level to Nolan's Batman trilogy, I think it's a rousing success.

As for all the "nitpicks" I read through in the thread, I think most are pretty well actually answered in the film. The only thing that does bother me is the empty(?) gesture of blowing up all the suits of armor given he's set to appear in at least 2 Avengers sequels. However, 1) That's back in Joss Whedon's hands and I trust him, 2) We are only promised in the closing title screen, "Tony Stark will return," and 3) as we've just been very well shown, Tony Stark - in suit or out - IS Iron Man.

ETA: I believe SDG made some comments comparing the 3 IM film's villains and how IM2's were more - if I can use the word - interesting than IM3's. I won't contest that, but I will say, of the IM trilogy and The Avengers, I think the Tony Stark/Iron Man character comes out being more interesting than any of the villains fought. And I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Also, I think the voice over was spot on - Tony wasn't talking about creating the demon he fought here, he was talking about the Iron Man persona as the demon he created. I think it tied up the themes that began in IM1 very well - especially given who he was talking to. I don't think that was an accident at all.

ETA Again:

Yeah. Should have watched that before replying. But still, I dare say IM3 was the smartest and most entertaining of this summer's action/tent pole films.

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

• 4 weeks later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...

Movieguide's top ten Best Movies for Mature Audiences of 2013.

1. Iron Man 3
2. 42
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
5. Gravity
6. Man of Steel
7. Thor: The Dark World
8. Captain Phillips
9. Jack the Giant Slayer
10. The Tower

When I tweeted to a friend that Iron Man 3 had won out over films like Gravity and 12 Years a Slave, Movieguide editor Tom Snyder jumped into the exchange with these tweets:

You obviously didn't look at the structure, character arc, and messaging of IRON MAN 3. MG liked GRAVITY, 42, and SMAUG.

The ending of 12 YEARS was anti-climactic. Who cares what elitist critics and the Oscar/BFCA people think??? I don't!

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Movieguide's top ten Best Movies for Mature Audiences of 2013.

1. Iron Man 3

2. 42

3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I have no interest whatsoever in rewatching any of those. Ever.

The ending of 12 YEARS was anti-climactic. Who cares what elitist critics and the Oscar/BFCA people think??? I don't!

Please tell me that's not because Solomon never beats up Fassbender in retaliation.

Wait, The Tower? The South Korean film? Does MovieGuide do foreign film? Was there an Eddie Murphy prequel to Tower Heist that I missed? 

Aren't many South Korean films (or at least those that are exported) often super violent a la Oldboy?

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Wait, The Tower? The South Korean film? Does MovieGuide do foreign film?

They did this one, at least.

Very strong moral worldview with strong Christian content including honorable characters who sacrifice themselves to save others and Christians who pray and their prayers are answered

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

When I tweeted to a friend that Iron Man 3 had won out over films like Gravity and 12 Years a Slave, Movieguide editor Tom Snyder jumped into the exchange with these tweets:

You obviously didn't look at the structure, character arc, and messaging of IRON MAN 3. MG liked GRAVITY, 42, and SMAUG.

I'm a lot more appreciative of Iron Man 3 than the general consensus, but best movie of the year is a stretch.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

The structure he said...  he said.... THHE STRUUCTTUURE.......  I mean.  I didn't hate Iron Man 3, but the structure of that film was full of plot holes and things that didn't make a whole lot of sense, as we touched on above.  Enough so that by the end of the film I was so caught up in these things that the film had pretty much unraveled.

Jack the Giant Slayer was a bit of a bomb at the box office, but I actually preferred it to Iron Man 3.  I even kind of enjoyed it.  Also, putting Iron Man 3 over 12 Years a Slave or Captain Phillips is very hard to understand.  I thought those were fine films overall.  Since when does 12 Years a Slave need to be more climatic then it was?  Since when does a thoughtful film for adults need to be as climatic as a film for teenagers or children?

Edited by Attica

"Messaging"?

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Anders wrote:
: "Messaging"?

"China can help!"

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Messaging"?

It's what a movie is about, not how it is about it.

Wait, that doesn't sound right.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

BINGO.

And I'm pretty sure that, on some level, Iron Man 3 is about a) guns, B) America, and c) capitalism... which reminds me of Snyder's recent tweet: 

#Truth: Use 100% of your brain and heart - Become a #Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Pro-Capitalism #Christian conservative.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

"Messaging"?

It's what a movie is about, not how it is about it.

Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Oh, I get that. Not surprised. By why the -ing suffix? Do we usually talk about a film or books "messaging"? I would say a film has a "message." Very odd.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

This reminds me of something I've been mildly irritated by for about a decade, which is the tendency for editors and writers to use publicist-speak and say that a film "releases" on Friday or whatever. I guess I've never had a problem with saying that something "streets" on a certain day, but there it's obviously a noun being turned into a verb, whereas "release" could be *either* a verb *or* a noun, so to hear the noun version of the word used like a verb is somewhat disorienting.

• 2 weeks later...