TODAY ONLY: 14 Hitchcocks for $50

SDG

The problem w a set like this is that it is likely one already has the Hitchcocks they want, while the rest are fluff. And those who say "a lesser Hitchcock is better than most out there" obviously hasn't seen Marnie.

TCM has nearly all these titles in heavy rotation. Pass.

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

I don't have all the Hitchcocks I want. Because I was waiting for today.

Besides, I like nice boxes. The small number of Hitchcocks that I already have will happily find other homes.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

The problem w a set like this is that it is likely one already has the Hitchcocks they want, while the rest are fluff. And those who say "a lesser Hitchcock is better than most out there" obviously hasn't seen Marnie.

TCM actually doesn't play many of these all that often, I assume because they don't own the Universal library and have to pay some sort of a licensing fee to play any of them. If you check TCM's website, you'll find that none of the 14 titles is currently scheduled to air (the schedule extends into February, I believe). The films in the Warner Bros. set, on the other hand, get played all the time.

And it's off-topic, but surely you could've come up with a better title to take a cheapshot at than Marnie -- even if you were limiting yourself to this set (I'd nominate Family Plot). I think Marnie's quite good, actually. And the late, great Robin Wood (one of the strongest writers on Hitchcock) was a passionate supporter of it.

TCM actually doesn't play many of these all that often, I assume because they don't own the Universal library and have to pay some sort of a licensing fee to play any of them. If you check TCM's website, you'll find that none of the 14 titles is currently scheduled to air (the schedule extends into February, I believe). The films in the Warner Bros. set, on the other hand, get played all the time.

And it's off-topic, but surely you could've come up with a better title to take a cheapshot at than Marnie -- even if you were limiting yourself to this set (I'd nominate Family Plot). I think Marnie's quite good, actually. And the late, great Robin Wood (one of the strongest writers on Hitchcock) was a passionate supporter of it.

I stand somewhat corrected--I did see a number of these titles off of TCM in the last three years, Marnie included.

That said, TCM currently has its schedules lined up until the wee hours of January 1, 2011, of which thirteen of its titles are Hitchcock, including "The Wrong Man".

Give me "Family Plot" over "Marnie" any day. When that boring, predictable, dated, lousily acted, zero-tensioned film was over, my wife and I were in stunned disbelief as to how lousy it was. It's only saving grace was the trivia factor, being a film with an early performance with Bruce Dern.

But I guess if some smart person we've never heard of had championed it, I guess then we have to reconsider our personal opinions.

_Family Plot_ is, by every measure, a trifle... but it has an endearing performance by Barbara Harris (who, with this, _A Thousand Clowns_, _Freaky Friday (1976)_ and _Dirty Rotten Scoundrels_ stands as the most underrated actress of all time, and this was her best performance. Top that with a lilting John Williams score--the perfect bridge between old and new populist entertainment. We were never less than entertained by any segment of the film.

I've not seen every Hitchcock, but I've ran the gamut from desert-island classic to pretty good, save one. And that film was Marnie. Even Torn Curtain was better.

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

I stand somewhat corrected--I did see a number of these titles off of TCM in the last three years, Marnie included.

That said, TCM currently has its schedules lined up until the wee hours of January 1, 2011, of which thirteen of its titles are Hitchcock, including "The Wrong Man".

The Wrong Man isn't part of this Universal set, it's part of the Signature Collection from Warner Bros. -- a studio whose library TCM has complete access of. But yes, the Universals have been played on TCM, they just aren't shown at all regularly.

But I guess if some smart person we've never heard of had championed it, I guess then we have to reconsider our personal opinions.

I don't have any problem with your personal dislike of Marnie, Nick. I probably shouldn't have even made reference to it in my initial post, given the off-hand manner in which you made the original comment and the off-topic nature that the discussion could lead. It just struck me as strange that Marnie, of all his films, would be the Hitchcock you chose to pick on. There seemed more obvious choices to me. But I certainly didn't mean to reprimand you for your dislike of it, so I apologize if that's the way it came off.

Just one correction: Robin Wood isn't really a "smart person we've never heard of" -- he's a justly lauded film writer. I mentioned him because he's especially noted as an authority on Hitchcock (his book on Hitchcock is one of the definitive texts on the filmmaker) and his defense of Marnie is quite famous. If you aren't familiar with his writing, I strongly recommend it.