Surprised by Joy

Links to our threads on the two versions of Shadowlands (1985, 1993), which dramatizes Lewis's romance with Joy Gresham between their meeting in '52 and her death in '60, and The Question of God: Sigmund Freud & C.S. Lewis (2004), which dramatizes various points throughout Lewis's life (as well as Freud's). The former thread also includes some comments on C.S. Lewis: Beyond Narnia (2005), which dramatizes various points throughout Lewis's life as well.

- - -

Exclusive Announcement: A New Film about the life of C. S. Lewis

We have the privilege and honor of announcing, for the first time ever, a new film about the life of C.S. Lewis – author of The Chronicles of Narnia. The film is currently titled Surprised by Joy (working title) and we have an interview with one of the writers on the project, as well as a synopsis of the film itself. . . .

Darren Jacobs: My co-writer is prominent C. S. Lewis scholar and author, Louis Markos. Our producer (Tom Woodward founder of the C. S. Lewis Society) is doing a fantastic job orchestrating all the components to make the film and our director (Curtis Graham) can’t wait to shoot the film. . . .

Surprised by Joy (working title) Synopsis

The winter of 1941 is a bleak one for England. Most of Europe has fallen to Hitler’s armies and Nazi planes fly nightly bombing raids over London. Only Winston Churchill’s voice on the radio brings hope—even if that hope appears small at best. Upon the Battle of Britain, Churchill warns, “depends the survival of Christian Europe.”

James Welch, Director of the BBC’s Religious Broadcasting Department, shares his Prime Minister’s hopes and fears. He knows that the survival of Christian Europe is precarious but believes that there is a man in England who can explain to the British public what Christian civilization is and why it needs to be preserved: an Oxford don named C. S. (“Jack”) Lewis.

But when Welch offers Jack the chance, he is unsure that he is the right man for the task. First he must review the past 42 years of his life to see if he has the knowledge and life experiences to speak to his fellow countrymen on an issue of such vital importance. . . .

NarniaFans.com, October 18

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Could someone just canonize him and have done with it? This is getting ridiculous.

And I say that as someone who has read and admired most of his fiction, apologetics & scholarship. Nevertheless, he was only human.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Well, I'm excited. Louis Markos is a man I know (personally) and respect. He is an excellent Lewis scholar, and was a longtime donor to the ministry I served with. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for this film.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Could someone just canonize him and have done with it? This is getting ridiculous.

If I could, I would. :) I'm pretty cynical about humanity as a rule, but I think he's one of the very few human beings who deserves every honor he gets.

However, I will concede this much: If only we could produce more authors with such a potent combination of faith, intellect, and imagination, he wouldn't be the only one getting honored.

Edited by Gina

I am so planning to watch this! I'm really impressed with C.S. Lewis as an author and I love to hear people's stories and how they became who they are (or were).

www.midnightreckoning.com | www.twitter.com/MidnightReckon

"Its not exactly sci-fi. It's not exactly horror. It's more like special hybrid genre ... PSI-FI. Psychological Fiction. If you liked "Inception". If you liked "The Twilight Zone". If you liked "Memento". If you like David Lynch films - you'll love "Midnight Reckoning". It toys with your mind. It teases your imagination. It plays on your deepest fears. It undermines your deepest securities. It's a world of paradigm shifts where you can never be really sure what is real."