Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

2010 Tentative Top Ten

The clock is ticking on the year, and I know a wave of cinema is about to hit us these next two months. But I thought I would toss out our annual top ten workshop thread. (Provided we don't already have one that I have forgotten...)

So far these films have stuck with me, and I can imagine seeing them on a list of some sort:

The Oath (Poitras)

Uncle Boonmee (Joe)

Police, Adjective (Porumboiu)

Secret of Kells (Moore and Twomey)

Wild Grass (Resnais)

Bluebeard (Breillat)

Babnik(Adams - if I am ignoring the 1 week commercial release bit)

Carlos (Assayas)

Still not sure if I would actually recommend Dogtooth to anyone.

The clock is ticking on the year, and I know a wave of cinema is about to hit us these next two months. But I thought I would toss out our annual top ten workshop thread. (Provided we don't already have one that I have forgotten...)

So far these films have stuck with me, and I can imagine seeing them on a list of some sort:

The Oath (Poitras)

Uncle Boonmee (Joe)

Police, Adjective (Porumboiu)

Secret of Kells (Moore and Twomey)

Wild Grass (Resnais)

Bluebeard (Breillat)

Babnik(Adams - if I am ignoring the 1 week commercial release bit)

Carlos (Assayas)

Still not sure if I would actually recommend Dogtooth to anyone.

I just began a thread on The Oath Here. So far it has no responses, and I'd really like to hear some feedback.

I've seen the thread on Carlos, and I've read about it in Film Comment. Isn't it six hours long? Holy smokes...

I'm a fan of Bluebeard, but can't see it making an end of the year list. Dogtooth, however... I can understand not recommending it, but you've gotta be true to yourself. If I am true to myself, it will probably make the list.

Looking at my journal:

Forbidden Fruit. Even after half a year this one easily lingers.

A Film With Me In It. I haven't laughed so hard at a film since Weekend at Bernie's, and that was decades ago... (Yes I know what you're thinking. Weekend at Bernie's? I don't get out to comedies too often. FWIW, I laughed as hard at both The Jerk and Borat on DVD...)

Exit Through The Gift Shop.

Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo. I saw it on the big screen, I can't imagine anyone would select it for a year end list besides me, and especially if they didn't see it on the big screen.

I Am Love.

Vincere.

The Social Network.

Winter's Bone.

Catfish... Maybe not. But I smiled the whole first half, and was mesmerized by the second half, so it is easily an honorable mention.

And 35 rhums and The White Ribbon were both released in Chicago in January, for the record.

That's eleven, without much research, and we're months away from seeing all the great releases of 2010. In my opinion, a great year for cinema.

Edited by Persona

In my opinion, a great year for cinema.

Eee-gads. Really? I'm glad Michael kicked off the thread, because it reminds me that although I see more movies at the cinema each year than ever before, I'm pretty much restricted to big domestic releases. No wonder I can't muster much enthusiasm for the year-end list.

Right now, my list is topped by Let Me In. And as of this weekend, I'm adding Alamar at number two, ahead of The Social Network, which is very good, and Winter's Bone, which is as well. Then Get Low.

Come to think of it, I might nudge Get Low up one or two places.

Worst: The Last Airbender. Is there any competition?

Edited by Christian

See, I didn't have to see The Last Airbender, I could take people like you at their word. :)

I told you I was going to see Get Low at Hope College during this cool film thing they do every month or so at the Knickerbocker Theater. I didn't realize that my car can't make it that far. That may be one of the saddest moments of my film year, 2010.

I am now looking for a job to try to solve this issue...

See, I didn't have to see The Last Airbender, I could take people like you at their word. :)

I told you I was going to see Get Low at Hope College during this cool film thing they do every month or so at the Knickerbocker Theater. I didn't realize that my car can't make it that far. That may be one of the saddest moments of my film year, 2010.

I am now looking for a job to try to solve this issue...

Get Low is pretty wonderful, but it's not a cinematic marvel. Just very well acted, classy, and edifying -- the kind of movie critics sometimes turn their nose up at, but which, in this case, was so well done it was hard to dismiss.

Get that job, Stef.

Edited by Christian

One more thing re: the "ee-gads great year for cinema." I'm basing that on the fact that I could already construct a Top 1o I'd be happy with, today is November 8 and you continue discovering the year's best films until Oscar time, late Feb/early March.

Edited by Persona

One more thing re: the "ee-gads great year for cinema." I'm basing that on the fact that I could already construct a Top 1o I'd be happy with, today is November 8 and you continue discovering the year's best films until Oscar time, late Feb/early March.

But that's what I mean. I'm not close to having seen 10 titles I'd put on a year-end best list. You and Mike are in a much better place. You've chosen ... wisely.

Not a great year, but a better year than the last couple. Good enough I don't feel disappointed overall. (although September and October were sparse.)

Hm. I don't feel that I could compile a list I feel happy with, but that's because I'm being very picky and/or strict in what I deem to be a "2010" film. Most of the films mentioned here I'd put off limits, even if 2010 was the first time these films became available to me.

There were a number of films I was hoping we'd see in 2010 that it looks like we won't (Sokurov's FAUST and Wong's THE GRAND MASTER remain among my most-anticipated future releases). I still have some I need to catch up with, but 2010 isn't shaping up to be one of my favorite years for film.

Edited by Ryan H.

In no particular order just yet ...

Get Low

Kick-Ass

Inception

Let Me In

Ondine

Never Let Me Go

Robin Hood

The Secret of Kells

Shutter Island

Winter's Bone

I fully expect and hope that 127 Hours, Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Fighter will compete for this. I'm also almost ready to just give True Grit the #1 spot already, no questions asked. Lamentably, what are essentially 10-12 hour, movie-theater-quality, films with Oscar worthy performances, directing and acting, The Pacific, Boardwalk Empire, and Treme, won't make the list because they are technically TV shows.

(although September and October were sparse.)

As also were March, April, and particularly August (but I still haven't seen Animal Kingdom).

Edited by Persiflage

So far:

The Ghost Writer

Another Year

Wild Grass

The Way Back

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Boxing Gym

Mother

Inspector Bellamy

Life During Wartime

The Square

In the queue:

Around a Small Mountain

Blue Beard

Father of My Children

Secret Sunshine

The Sicilian Girl

Edited by Nathaniel

Not sure I've even seen ten films this year, and certainly none on Mike's list. Best of the year for me is a toss up between Inception, Shutter Island and Social Network. I've seen precious little else (Robin Hood plus a few others).

:(

Matt

This is my first tentative top 10 list. The order is subject to change, but for now:

Inception

Winter's Bone

The Social Network

Exit Through the Gift Shop

The Ghost Writer

The Secret of Kells

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

North Face

Toy Story 3

Greenberg

With the St. Louis Film Festival starting this weekend, I'm hoping to see: Uncle Boonmee, 127 Hours, Letters to Father Jacob, Black Swan, but my schedule for the next couple of weeks is hard to predict right now

I haven't seen enough of the "heavy-hitters" to post a top ten list yet. I've seen a lot of films worth seeing, but very few worth getting excited about.

Probable top-tenners at this point: Toy Story 3, Winter's Bone, The Social Network, The Secret of Kells, Lucky Life, and Police, Adjective. Mayyyyyybe Shutter Island, mayyyybe The Secret in Their Eyes, and mayyyyyyybe The White Ribbon.

Guilty pleasure: The Wolfman.

The book project has slowed me down too much. Hopefully I can catch up quickly. I Am Love is on its way from Netflix and Exit Through the Gift Shop is on its way from the library. I can't wait to see Uncle Boonmee and Carlos. (Carlos is playing in Seattle right now, but I'm under the gun on reviewing copyedits for the book, so it's unlikely I'll get out to see it.)

Non-2010 films that impressed me this year: The Secret of the Grain, The Big Clock, The White Ribbon, Yella, Grand Illusion, The Limits of Control, Julia.

Edited by Overstreet

M. Leary wrote:

: The clock is ticking on the year, and I know a wave of cinema is about to hit us these next two months. But I thought I would toss out our annual top ten workshop thread. (Provided we don't already have one that I have forgotten...)

Since you asked... Link and/or ahem to our thread on 'Best of 2010 at the Halfway Point'.

Arthouse films only arrive sporadically here, so my list is somewhat limited.

True Grit (a slamdunk, for sure)

Shutter Island

Inception

Scott Pilgrim

Get Low

Babies

Despicable Me

Like Jeffrey, Netflix just sent me I Am Love - suspect it will make my list. And I can't wait to see Exit Through the Gift Shop and Beetle Queen. No great hopes for Harry Potter, but I'll see it later this month, anyway.

This thread should probably be moved to the "Lists" area.

Oh, and how'd I forget The Yellow Handkerchief? Also, as mentioned by others, Shutter Island, The White Ribbon and maybe Please Give.

Gosh, I'm getting close to 10 after all, aren't I?

Have not seen:

Toy Story 3

Edited by Christian

I'm really excited to see Exit Through the Gift Shop on so many lists. It was one of my most enjoyable movie-going experiences this year.

Toy Story 3

Social Network

Never Let Me Go

Secret of Kells

Are really the only ones to stick with me in a big way.

As usual, I'll see about 20 movies in the December-February period that will all blow my mind.

I haven't been able to get out to the theatre much this year, but my favourites right now are:

Of Gods and Men (assuming it gets a 2010 release)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Toy Story 3

I Am Love

The Secret In Their Eyes

Probably the The Social Network, and maybe Inception. And I really, really wish I could have a spot for Mad Men's fourth season.

In no particular order except that Winter's Bone is definitely on top:

Winter's Bone

Inception

Babies

Animal Kingdom

The Secret in their Eyes

How to Train Your Dragon (Toy Story 3?)

Please Give

The Social Network

Shutter Island (maybe)

Ghost Writer (maybe?)

A Town Called Panic

Technically 2009, but I might include:

Leaves of Grass

Within tiers in the order viewed:

Tier I:

The White Ribbon

The Secret of the Kells

Toy Story 3

Winter's Bone

Lebanon

Tier II:

North Face

Shutter Island

Babies

Oceans

Abuelo (short)

Exit through the Gift Shop

Mother and Child

Restrepo

I Am Love

The Tillman Story

Get Low

Stone

Shodo Girls!!

If I were finalizing it today I think my top 3 would be Kells, Winter Bone, and TS 3 in some order or other.

I expect I'll probably combine Restrepo and Tillman into a double feature, which will almost assuredly make the final cut.

Of what I have seen this year, these are the contenders:

Sure Things:

I AM LOVE

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

THE GHOST WRITER

Possibilities:

BLACK SWAN

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - B

INCEPTION - B

TOY STORY 3 - B

SHUTTER ISLAND - B

I'm not too enamored with any from the second group. All of them had their moments, but also showcase some very serious, glaring flaws. I suspect, though, BLACK SWAN and SCOTT PILGRIM will make the cut.

I definitely have to catch WILD GRASS, WINTER'S BONE, and TRUE GRIT before the year is out.

Edited by Ryan H.

I (finally) just saw The Social Network. Probably worth a spot on the list. The main thing I have against it is I would have wanted to see in his (the network creator) performance that he was overcompensating for some great emotional pain when he was so hard to get through to. That would have made him a bit more likeable as a main character too. The way he played it was almost like he was autistic, which was interesting, too, though.

Obviously, still six weeks of new releases to go, plus a month to get them all shown around country, but I'd be happy with this list:

1. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (David Fincher, USA)

2. FOUR LIONS (Chris Morris, Britain)

3. MOTHER (Bong Joon-ho, South Korea)

4. BLACK SWAN (Darren Aronofsky, USA)

5. INCEPTION (Christopher Nolan, USA)

6. I AM LOVE (Luca Guadagnino, Italy)

7. LOURDES (Jessica Hausner, France/Austria)

8. RESTREPO (Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington, USA)

9. ANOTHER YEAR (Mike Leigh, Britain)

10. TOY STORY 3 (Lee Unkrich, USA)

Runners-up

9 grades

THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ALICE CREED (J Blakeson, Britain); VINCERE (Marco Bellocchio, Italy); WINNEBAGO MAN (Ben Steinbauer, USA)

8 grades

CARLOS (Olivier Assayas, France); EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP (Banksy, USA); WILD GRASS (Alain Resnais, France); SHUTTER ISLAND (Martin Scorsese, USA); BURIED (Rodrigo Cortes, Spain); MICMACS (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, France); THE SECRET OF KELLS (Tomm Moore, Ireland); WINTER’S BONE (Debra Granik, USA); TAMARA DREWE (Stephen Frears, Britain)

Now that I've seen it, Boxing Gym will most likely occupy a permanent position on my list. It's really good, and I hope it eventually plays on PBS so others can enjoy it.

Awesome! I have plans to either see this in Chicago over Thanksgiving (Siskel) or back in GR in December (UICA)!

3. MOTHER (Bong Joon-ho, South Korea)

Has been on more than one list, and, I just. don't. get it.

7. LOURDES (Jessica Hausner, France/Austria)

I really, really need to see this one again. I would love to agree with it on the list. Perhaps the problem is that I saw The Song of Bernadette in the same month, and that one has shot up my all-time list.

8. RESTREPO (Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington, USA)

Gosh, this is such a great choice, ideally. I just can't agree that it's one of the best films of the year. It is important but not exciting, PBS but not film.

Runners-up

VINCERE (Marco Bellocchio, Italy)

Yea! Finally someone who agrees with me! I've been preaching the glories of the other expressionist Italian film all year... Now we've got to get you to move it up the list...

8 grades

What does this mean?

Edited by Persona