Ryan H.

Community

249 posts in this topic

It's a shame these folks are going to take a vacation. I'm really enjoying this season, it has been consistently funny.

I'm guessing that the show will come back late spring or summer. In the latter case, wouldn't they have to call it Summer School? ;)

Edited by Crow

I know they're putting the show on what they call hiatus, but I'm suspecting that COMMUNITY might not be back. Alas.

Still, great last two episodes. I'm always up for making fun of GLEE, which may be the worst show on prime-time network TV.

Still, great last two episodes. I'm always up for making fun of GLEE, which may be the worst show on prime-time network TV.

Amen.

I know they're putting the show on what they call hiatus, but I'm suspecting that COMMUNITY might not be back. Alas.

Or one of the best, according to the Golden Globes, which didn't nominate Community or Parks and Rec for anything.

There's a report that when(ever) Community comes back, a character will die.

"A character from the show will die," reveals star Joel McHale. He says the victim, although probably not one of the comedy's main stars, is "someone you've seen a lot. And he dies in the mid-afternoon."

There's a report that when(ever) Community comes back, a character will die.

"A character from the show will die," reveals star Joel McHale. He says the victim, although probably not one of the comedy's main stars, is "someone you've seen a lot. And he dies in the mid-afternoon."

My money's on Leonard.

Starburns, man. Starburns.

Travis Richey, who plays Inspector Spacetime on Community, has started a Kickstarter to fund an Inspector Spacetime web series. (Dan Harmon, et al apparently aren't involved.)

IO9 has a write-up of Richey's appearance at the Gallifrey One Doctor Who convention, where the proposed series was announced:

there was a dramatic reading of the first webisode, in which the Inspector and Constable Reginald visit the planet New Seventh Earth Two, where they meet the Blogons, vanquish them with the Inspector's "optic penknife," and then run into a deserted warehouse where they get trapped. Apparently, later in the episode we'll get to meet the Inspector's arch-nemesis. The panel also included a slideshow explaining the long line of actors who played the Inspector: Christopher Lee in the 1960s, Stephen Fry in the 1980s, and Steve Carell in the 1990s TV movie.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Edited by Tyler

Prepare yourselves for the return of the darkest timeline...

Why Aren't You Watching The Smartest, Most Ambitious Show On Television?

The cinephile who says "Oh, I don't watch television" is becoming an increasingly rare breed. But amongst all of this, there's one show that, if the ratings are anything to go by, you're probably not watching. And really, if you like movies, or television, or things that are funny and smart, you should be watching it.

The Dean in Community reminds me a lot of Tony Hale.

The Dean in Community reminds me a lot of Tony Hale.

... except one of them is the dean, and one of them the pottery professor!

I thought last night's episode was a glorious return-- a "normal" episode of Community, to be sure, but hilarious and character-driven and just totally spot-on, I thought.

And even though it was a Shirley-centric episode... I thought Britta once again stole the show. She has been this season's MVP, as far as I'm concerned.

Also: How has Malcolm-Jamal Warner not aged a day since The Cosby Show's final season?

He worked for the devil. It was a package deal.

(hoping someone gets the joke on that one)

I agree, last night was a great return. Typical Community pretty much outshines most comedies on their better days. And without Parks and Rec, it has little competition.

Did anyone else catch the Babel music at the end of Thursday's episode?

Things between Dan Harmon and Chevy Chase have gotten ugly.

The chronology of the events, corroborated to me by multiple sources, involves Chase walking off the set of the show on the last day of shooting last month without filming one of his scenes, which reportedly was to close out the season finale. Then at the wrap party, Harmon got up and gave a “F*** you, Chevy” speech in front of Chase and his wife and daughter, and encouraged the crew to join him in saying “f*** you” to the actor. Chase left immediately and later left Harmon a profane-laden voice message, a portion of which found its way to the Web after Harmon played it in front of other people.

The Deadline article links to Chase's message, but I don't want to listen to it.

The Huffington Post interviews Chevy Chase:

I have creative issues with this show. I always have. With my character, with how far you can take [Joel McHale's] character ... just to give him a long speech about the world at the end of every episode is so reminiscent. It's like being relegated to hell and watching "Howdy Doody" for the rest of your life. It's not particularly necessary, but that's the way they do these things. I think it belies the very pretenses that his character, Jeff, has, that he's giving these talks. They're supposed to, in some way, be a little lesson to people who watch sitcoms ... to that degree, I can't stand sitcoms.

[...]

I'm not really gonna buck you all up a lot and say that this is the one, the one that tells it innovatively. It is what it is. I would like to see it go further. I think, if you know me and my humor over the years, you know that this is certainly not my kind of thing. I probably won't be around that much longer, frankly.

Dan Harmon apologizes.

It feels dishonest not to acknowledge it, it feels rude to the caring fans of the show, people who are tweeting me their concerns that I’ve jeopardized something they fight to protect, those are the sentiments that are [rightfully] the most painful because every choice I make, I try to make for the good of the show, and the show is not an expression of my ego or entitlement, it’s an expression of my desire to make strangers happy. When that’s not happening, when I’ve done something that hurts an audience, it’s always an accident.
Edited by Tyler

An interesting essay on last season's episode, "Critical Film Studies."

“Critical Film Studies,” the 19th episode of the 2nd season of Community, was probably pretty confusing to most fans of the series when it aired in the Spring of 2011. Heavily promoted by NBC as the show’s full-scale Pulp Fiction parody, the episode turned out instead to be a lengthy and rather muted (by the show’s standards) homage to Louis Malle’s My Dinner With Andre, with only a few Tarantino sight gags tucked neatly away in the periphery. People were understandably disappointed: Community appeared to have traded a spoof of one of the most enduringly popular and widely acclaimed films of the last several decades in a for a more affectionate and high-minded take on a film few in the show’s key demo knew anything at all about. It was, in a sense, an intellectual bait and switch: they promised something familiar but delivered a reference that would prove more substantive, both intellectually and emotionally.