Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Community

I am annoyed...my DVR only recorded the first episode...which I did enjoy...but I agree, very little caused major laughs.

Yea, the first episode is a bit rough. The first 10 minutes or so just don't feel right for the show. However, the second episode is a lot better and gets back to a lot of what I love about the show. I'm hoping this is a sign of return to form.

The first episode felt like, "We have to do this and say that to reestablish the show." With that out of the way, the second episode had more space to be funny and strange.

Last week's episode wasn't just a bottle episode, it was essentially a table read.

It's also the best thing the show has done in years.

And it had one of the best (and longest) callbacks I can remember.

2a22056169b5b3a10a073ffc5e491853.jpg

My mom's reaction to community?

"I don't get it...what is the point of it?"

This week's episode was the point where Community went from enjoyable to my dad to just weird.

I thought "App Development and Condiments" was a solid middling episode for Community. Interesting scenario that worked half of the time, but fell short from what it could have been. It wasn't focused enough and bounced around the various escalations too quickly (Day One, Day Three, Day Eight, etc). 

One interesting thing that a friend pointed out to me is how dependent Community is becoming on the dystopian/post-apocalyptic setting. Already this season there was this episode, and the Lava-floor episode, virtually all of the paintball episodes, the blanket/pillow fort one, the Halloween zombies one, Chang's takeover of the school could count too. I can't remember if there are any more, but it's interesting how many of their episodes have that theme.